Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MK12 or SAMR Build

Feedback Score

MK12 or SAMR Build

Hey Y'all, this is my very first post on here. I have been looking to build one of these two for a very very long time. First I was going to build a SAMR upper using a BCM base parts. Then got thinking about the MK12. I am on the BCM website for hours and hours each week weighing in the pros and cons. Then I decide to the SAMR. Then I get to reading and thinking, hmm, do a BCM MK12 build. Start that parts list and run the numbers in cost. Then the Marine in me kicks back in... SAMR. I have most of the parts to build a BCM SAMR. BCM has actually lowered the price of the barrels since I started thinking of the builds. Going on two years now... Want to use it in the field here in Texas for coyotes and pigs. Also like to work my prac at the range and stay frosty on what Uncle Sam taught us. I like that the BCM has a 1/8 RH twist since that what we had on our A2's. Then I get to thinking weight, and the coolness factor of the 18" barrel and a PRI hand guard of the MK12. Found that the SAMR is less costly to replicate then the MK12 which added up fast with To Spec upper parts. I work for the State of Texas so I kind of am on a budget. Running 62 - 77 grain ammo. Personally found my groove with the 68 grain. After I put one of these two together and reincorporate financially, then I'll drop in the SAS-E.

Which one would you choose if you had to choose one? What's your experience, Thoughts or Choice?

Thank You for your time,

Mark

PS, Admin, please let me know if there's another thread on MK12 VS SAMR. - Thank You

Feedback Score
    I’m not really into LARPing. What holes do you have needing filled? Which fills that role?

If you are right on money, the cloner market probably isn’t for you. Just buy a solid rifle to fill your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Mission is a ranch section here in Texas. Currently running a stock Colt A4 with a 1/7. Thought I would build a HBAR style upper with a 1/8 for better effect on pigs. BCM is in my price range. I've been buying parts for the SAM R every other month or so. Like Johnny Cash song, building that Cadillac one part at a time...

Feedback Score
    How will the 1/8 give you better effect on pigs?

Feedback Score
    run a 68 grain, maybe 72 grain hog hammers?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by McReaser View Post
    run a 68 grain, maybe 72 grain hog hammers?
    The 1:7” won’t shoot those already?

Feedback Score
    Not A Fan of 1/7. Never have been. Barely pulled Expert off in bootcamp 1/7 shooting a M109 ball round. My best were with a 1/8.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Judging by what you have posted you are wanting a tool for practical use. In my experience having built a Mk12 Mod 0 it is very much a product of the time period it was built in. There is nothing 'wrong' with the firearm however it is not an ideal solution for the requirement you have in mind.

You can make a great rifle that is more tuned to the task and you will get just as much enjoyment.

While not as 'cool' looking as a clone or even an homage it will be handier.

Feedback Score
    I built my rifle on the SAMR variant. It works awesome for its intended purpose. Mark12spr is really cool but for what you describe a 20 inch well built AR would be up to the task

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    For hunting, a 16" barrel should be fine and would save some weight.

Mk12 Mod H
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast