Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sailors attached to Marine Infantry Units in Nam

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    He was told by USMC command that if he volunteered for more tours his little brothers wouldn't be drafted. Whether that was true or not, who knows, but his brothers weren't drafted.

He has stories of working with Army, Navy, and Air Force guys. From his stories and a few other Nam vets I've talked to, guys getting attached to other units wasn't uncommon at all.
    Reminds me of a funny story that my father, who did three tours in Viet Nam with the Marines, told me. He said he was in a hole with a new corpsman during a very heavy mortar barrage. After the barrage my father spent some time getting to know the new guy. The new corpsman said he was getting drafted when his dad told him to go enlist in the Navy, that would keep him out of the field. So he enlisted in the Navy and they made him a corpsman and put him with the Marines.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Doubletap
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    Reminds me of a funny story that my father, who did three tours in Viet Nam with the Marines, told me. He said he was in a hole with a new corpsman during a very heavy mortar barrage. After the barrage my father spent some time getting to know the new guy. The new corpsman said he was getting drafted when his dad told him to go enlist in the Navy, that would keep him out of the field. So he enlisted in the Navy and they made him a corpsman and put him with the Marines.
    I use to work with a gentleman who was born in NYC but grew up in San Diego. Out of high school he enlisted in the Navy and wanted to move around and see the world. They stationed him at . . . wait for it . . . Naval Base San Diego for the duration of his short enlistment.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    Thank you VERY much for your post and stating he was Infantry trained. In my research the unit was created in 66 the Year of The Horse.

Again thanks, hopefully we have a member who was part of that unit that will shed more light.
    I’m glad I added something of value. As for the creation of this section of the Navy, I have no doubt it was Nam era response to needs in the field; as it was not offered when I signed up I’m guessing the PBR thing was deactivated and eventually merged with SWCC. Again, speculation here, but the re-emergence of this specialty role of able bodied seaman+competant infantryman was needed in a new era of warfighting.
    And, regarding the training, AIT is probably the correct acronym... I was thinking ‘Advance Infantry Course’ but I have zero experience there.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Brown water navy was a big deal. Read much about it, had a coworker drafted, then ended up at USNA, then ended up Riverine.

Fascinating, especially the landing crafts that did the grunt work and turned into floating pillboxes 2hile ferrying troops/cargo.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    My FiL retired a Cmdr. (0-5) in '77 - he passed away last Monday. He was in-country... commanding Seabees. They were defoliating the jungle to build helicopter landing bases. Sadly, he sucked up a LOTTA Agent Orange in two tours of that, and got emphysema. That's what got him.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Brown water navy was a big deal. Read much about it, had a coworker drafted, then ended up at USNA, then ended up Riverine.
    How'd the dude go from USNA to Riverine? Is there a story there?

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    My FiL retired a Cmdr. (0-5) in '77 - he passed away last Monday. He was in-country... commanding Seabees. They were defoliating the jungle to build helicopter landing bases. Sadly, he sucked up a LOTTA Agent Orange in two tours of that, and got emphysema. That's what got him.
    I was just reading about Seabees at Iwo and in Korea. IMO, they don't get enough credit for the important combat work they did/do.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    I was just reading about Seabees at Iwo and in Korea. IMO, they don't get enough credit for the important combat work they did/do.
    One of the reasons why The Green Berets is my favorite John Wayne film, his son Patrick played a Seabee clearing out a kill zone at the firebase. Always thought that was cool as hell that these guys were plowing down trees (with a dozer that had to be airlifted) in the middle of a firefight. And then of course there is John Wayne's film The Fighting Seabees (1944).
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 10-05-18 at 14:42.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    How'd the dude go from USNA to Riverine? Is there a story there?
    I had just graduated from college, no kids, limited awareness of the Brown Water navy. At the time (early 80's) guys did not talk much about VN service. (Often times was not viewed positively)

So I traveled with this guy, he was sales, I was the engineer. And we end up in rural GA South of Waycross. Which means swamp. Okefenokee. You have to see it to understand.

And he mentions that when he graduated & commissioned at USNA, he expected to head for a ship. Relatively safe duty for VN era.

Much to his surprise, his orders were to middle of nowhere Louisiana surrounded by swamps. And he's trained on a new small boat, then, (I think, long time ago) had to ferry them to CA. And then by ship to VN.

And ended up in VN in the delta/swamps/rivers. Sleeping on a barge in the middle of the water. Mostly ferrying SEALs up river and back. (I barely knew what a SEAL was at the time. "Scary guys" he said). He hated it. Said you never got to sleep soundly, as someone was constantly dropping grenades in the water to keep sappers from swimming in mines.

Pre-internet, not much info. I knew less. I now am guessing he was assigned to PCF's (Swift boats) as they had a junior officer + enlisted. Not sure the PBR's had officers. And it sounds like from what he told me he must have been in Market Garden/Game Warden times. I wish I had known more to ask more.

Very polished guy. Great Sales rep. That's about the only time he talked about it, and only because we were in the swamp and I was curious.

Main thing I'm curious about is how they did low band VHF comms over such long distances. Even with the 35-40 watts of the VRC-12 and good whips/groundplane, they ran longer distances than groundwave/line of sight VHF supported.

One old radio aware codger I asked said it was very common to have helicopters or dakotas orbiting acting as radio relays. Split frequency, etc. I'd love to know more.

Those guys fought with stone tools in comparison to modern mil. I have a PRC-77 backpack setup which is now way outperformed by cell phone sized civvy radios. Even PRC-148's and 152 are tiny in comparison to VN era.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Those guys fought with stone tools in comparison to modern mil. I have a PRC-77 backpack setup which is now way outperformed by cell phone sized civvy radios. Even PRC-148's and 152 are tiny in comparison to VN era.
    I had a great uncle who was a TEC-4 (radio operator) who had to swim rough surf as he landed on Utah beach with the Tough 'Ombres (90th ID) with a 30lb SCR-300 field radio on his back. How far radio tech has come . . .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast