Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oversize gas port on 16" barrel?

Feedback Score
    A quality builder will have pin gages and measure and record the Gas Port size for every build.
    I source known quality barrels and measure every gas port.
    Daniel Defense has reduced their gas ports over the last couple years. Sionics has perfect sized gas ports as do SOLGW, Centurion, and Rosco. I won't go so far as to say BCM's are too big but of the barrels mentioned BCM's are a shade bigger in all barrel length's in both carbine and mid.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by prepare; 01-05-20 at 09:52.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    A quality builder will have pin gages and measure and record the Gas Port size for every build.
    Daniel Defense has reduced their gas ports over the last couple years. Sionics has perfect sized gas ports as do SOLGW, Centurion, and Rosco. I won't go so far as to say BCM's are too big but of the barrels mentioned BCM's are a shade bigger in all barrel length's in both carbine and mid.
    Who makes that pin gage set? I concur about Sionics.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Who makes that pin gage set? I concur about Sionics.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    The only proper way to measure the inside diameter of a hole is with pin gauges. For quality control purposes you have to produce exact and repeatable results with any measurement. It's not as simple as drop the pin in the hole.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikhailBarracuda91 View Post
    The only proper way to measure the inside diameter of a hole is with pin gauges. For quality control purposes you have to produce exact and repeatable results with any measurement. It's not as simple as drop the pin in the hole.

How do you go about doing it?

Feedback Score
    Obviously if the pin slips right in with no resistance at all then it's to small, you have to find the gauge that just kisses the surface. Be careful not to push an oversized pin in. A quality pin gauge will be tool steel, and that's hard enough to permanently damage a gas port even if it's only .002 oversized.

Be patient, my quality guy used to scream at me over this lol so I learned with caution

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    What is the purpose of measuring and recording the gas port for every build? Do you return barrels with a larger or smaller than expected port? I appreciate the effort and information, don't get me wrong.

In a perfect world, the barrel makers would supply the information accurately and freely.

It's interesting to me that Roscoe ports are spot on, given they are on the budget end of the spectrum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    What is the purpose of measuring and recording the gas port for every build? Do you return barrels with a larger or smaller than expected port? I appreciate the effort and information, don't get me wrong.

In a perfect world, the barrel makers would supply the information accurately and freely.

It's interesting to me that Roscoe ports are spot on, given they are on the budget end of the spectrum.
    I keep a data book on my rifles that includes the build information (parts, springs, BCG, etc, where they were purchased) , prices, firing schedules, ejection pattern, zero and ammo type, if any malfunctions occur (so far none). This way I have my own reference and can compare differences. My sample of 2 Rosco barrels have correct gas ports. I bought them mostly for testing, evaluation, and comparison.

Out of the many barrels I have, only 3 were over gassed. I used BRT custom tuned gas ports to fix that issue. But I use that information to know who to source from and who not to and what I'm getting.
    Last edited by prepare; 01-06-20 at 04:37.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thank you.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post

I am actually thinking about giving a Roscoe barrel a try on a build I am going for my uncle.

Both garandthumb and sage Dynamics have posted positive YouTube reviews on them. I take reviews with a grain of salt but those 2 are generally pretty honest imo.

Sage posted a recent vid that showed impressive accuracy with an sbr and longer stainless barrel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123