Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What should my blood pressure be after running?

Feedback Score
    Well, I went on the same 5 mile run yesterday and I felt pretty good for most of the day. My after run blood pressure was 137/81, which has been somewhat normal for me even though I think the diastolic is still high for an after run BP reading.

I'll probably bring it up with my doctor on my next appointment though, better safe than sorry I guess.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I hope your doctor smacks you in the face lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Well, I went on the same 5 mile run yesterday and I felt pretty good for most of the day. My after run blood pressure was 137/81, which has been somewhat normal for me even though I think the diastolic is still high for an after run BP reading.

I'll probably bring it up with my doctor on my next appointment though, better safe than sorry I guess.
    What was your heart rate when you took it? Had you been sitting down for a while?

When you take your blood pressure, get it set up, be perfectly still, close your eyes And breathe normal to slightly deep breaths. Do not look at the display. Try to ignore the whole process.

I'm pretty sure I can influence the reading watching it, and I know as fact my brother can. He has what they refer to as white coat syndrome. Blood pressure taken in the office is elevated do to apprehension, etc. they've done side-by-side checks manual laying with this machine. And yet if he does the same check at home hanging out on the couch it's substantially lower.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post

I'm pretty sure I can influence the reading watching it, and I know as fact my brother can. He has what they refer to as white coat syndrome. Blood pressure taken in the office is elevated do to apprehension, etc. they've done side-by-side checks manual laying with this machine. And yet if he does the same check at home hanging out on the couch it's substantially lower.
    My wife has it. I check her BP at home a couple times a week, fine. She goes to the doc, 150/90. They wanted to start her on a combo drug. I said hell to the no. Now she takes the readings I get and they just monitor.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    I hope your doctor smacks you in the face lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol! I'm actually surprised she hasn't done that yet.

Doctors seem to like to get in and out in about 15 minutes or less, but I'm pretty sure I took up about 45 minutes of time on my last visit.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You mean cut it out completely? I've always felt like it's a good idea to keep tabs on myself. Only getting it checked when you go to visit the doctor a couple times a year is not a very big sample size to go off of.
    OK, check it once a month. No more. If it's consistently high for three months in a row, go see your doctor.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Hahaha! That's not the first time that I've heard that, not just in regard to how often I take my blood pressure either.

Anyways, I've been using a Microlife arm cuff BP monitor for awhile now and got a reading of 113/64 with a 54 pulse this morning which is not unusual, but my systolic number is usually in the low to mid 120s. After a run my systolic number can be up into the mid to high 130s and sometimes low 140s. I was using an Omron arm cuff BP monitor and it would usually read my BP just a little bit lower. So I've been using the Micro life mostly because it gives me ever so slightly higher readings.

I still haven't felt that great since that last run I did though, and now I'm kind of afraid to go on my next run. I'm not the fastest runner either, lately it takes me about 46/47 minutes to run 5 miles and I'm usually feeling dead on the return half.
    I would certainly think that that's likely. For now, your hypochondria appears to be manifesting itself as an unhealthy obsession with your blood pressure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    What was your heart rate when you took it? Had you been sitting down for a while?

When you take your blood pressure, get it set up, be perfectly still, close your eyes And breathe normal to slightly deep breaths. Do not look at the display. Try to ignore the whole process.

My heart rate was 107 when I took got that reading, other than that I usually take my blood pressure exactly as you describe.

I try to never look at the numbers on the display while I'm taking my blood pressure, because I've also noticed that I can end up with a higher reading when I do that... I usually get higher readings at the doctor's office too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I would certainly think that that's likely. For now, your hypochondria appears to be manifesting itself as an unhealthy obsession with your blood pressure.
    Believe it or not, I've actually gotten better about not taking my blood pressure any more than 1 or 2 times a day now... I started to cut back about a year ago when I noticed my arm was getting sore from taking too many readings.

I don't know if I can get it down to once a month, but anything less than what I'm doing now would probably be a step in the right direction at this point.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My heart rate was 107 when I took got that reading, other than that I usually take my blood pressure exactly as you describe.
    Dude, you don't take blood pressure readings with elevated heart rates after significant exercise if you're trying to do some kind of normal comparison.

It's important to cool down to pretty close to your normal resting heart rate. Go re-read the instructions on your omron.

You should also not be seeking medical advice from random dudes on an shooting internet forum.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast