Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: DD is making a bolt action rifle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    Where are you getting user changeable barrels that don’t even require gauges at 2K?
    Oh OK, I missed that they copied the AR15's concept.

That is hardly a remarkable feature unless you can't afford a $50 set of go/no go gauges and can't figure out how to use them.

For $2500 I'd rather buy this, an action wrench, and a barrel vise.. That way when I burn the shouldered barrel I can unscrew it, throw it away, and buy a shoulderless barrel and nut from PVA and still end up with a superior rifle.

https://patriotvalleyarms.com/john-h...rifle-deposit/

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    Oh OK, I missed that they copied the AR15's concept.

That is hardly a remarkable feature unless you can't afford a $50 set of go/no go gauges and can't figure out how to use them.

For $2500 I'd rather buy this, an action wrench, and a barrel vise.. That way when I burn the shouldered barrel I can unscrew it, throw it away, and buy a shoulderless barrel and nut from PVA and still end up with a superior rifle.

https://patriotvalleyarms.com/john-h...rifle-deposit/
    I’m no bolt action expert, so what makes this superior to the DD rifle?
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Meh..

I'm not sure who DD is targeting with this rifle, but it's not the precision rifle crowd, at least not those who will do some research before buying.

The $2200 they're listing the rifle for on their website is nearly the same amount of coin that I initially spent on my Bighorn TL3, and I have the option of changing bolt faces and ordering shouldered pre-fit barrels from several smiths without having to send them my action. Plus the TL3 uses Savage barrel threads, so it can also take off the shelf Savage pre-fit barrels if I want to fool with a barrel nut.

There are several smaller manufacturers making entry level precision rifles targeted at the PRS Production class that are as nice or nicer than the DD rifle and are priced at or under $2k. They include Patriot Valley Arms, BadRock Rifles (aka Defiance Machine) and as of last week MasterPiece Arms.

Here's an example of what you can put together yourself using off the shelf parts:

Curtis Axiom Action - $1100
    TriggerTech Primary Trigger - $145
    KRG Bravo Chassis - $350
    Prefit Shouldered Barrel for Axiom by PVA - $525 (cut from a hand lapped, button rifled blank made by Rock Creek)

Total: $2100, less if you catch some of those parts on sale. Figure another $200 if you want the action and barrel ceracoated.

The DD rifle does have their proprietary "carbon fiber reinforced polymer" stock with an integrated mini-chassis, while the Bravo is a chassis system with a full length aluminum backbone and modular front and rear sections (that you can upgrade later). The DD stock is probably nicer if you prefer a traditional stock, but the Bravo is more modular and can be upgraded in to a Whiskey-3 folder down the road if you'd like (and when your budget permits). Or you could spend a little more and drop the Curtis into any other chassis or Carbon Fiber stock made to take a Remington 700 style action.

With the Curtis Axiom you get many of the same specs as the DD: the integral recoil lug, 60 degree bolt throw, 3-lug bolt, Sako-style extractor, and included 20 moa picatinny base. Plus, like the TL3, the Curtis action uses shouldered barrels that are swappable without fooling with a barrel nut, in an action that is machined precisely enough that you can order pre-fits without sending your action to a smith to be measured. The TriggerTech is probably better than the DD trigger (certainly at least as good).

I haven't seen if DD has specified if their action is a Rem 700 footprint or something proprietary. If it uses a proprietary stock inlet that's another knock against it.

If DD is trying to bill their stock w mini-chassis and included bottom metal as an equivalent to a Manners, the price makes more sense (and might be argued to be a value), but I see that being a hard sell.

No doubt they'll sell plenty of rifles regardless.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 01-21-19 at 15:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    I’m no bolt action expert, so what makes this superior to the DD rifle?
    Everything that you can't see externally.

Plus the fact that you can buy barrels from just about anyone while with the DD you're stuck with whatever barrels DD decides to make. I doubt DD's barrel concept will be picked up by aftermarket barrel makers but I could be wrong.

Time will tell
    Last edited by Don Quijote; 01-21-19 at 12:18.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    Meh..

I'm not sure who DD is targeting with this rifle, but it's not the precision rifle crowd, at least those who will do some research before buying.

The $2200 they're listing the rifle for on their website is nearly the same amount of coin that I initially spent on my Bighorn TL3, and I have to option of changing bolt faces and ordering shouldered pre-fit barrels from several smiths without having to send them my action. Plus the TL3 uses Savage barrel threads, so it can also take off the shelf Savage pre-fit barrels if I want to fool with a barrel nut.

There are several smaller manufacturers making entry level precision rifles targeted at the PRS Production class that are as nice or nicer than the DD rifle and are priced at or under $2k. They include Patriot Valley Arms, BadRock Rifles (aka Defiance Machine) and as of last week MasterPiece Arms.

Here's an example of what you can put together yourself using off the shelf parts:

Curtis Axiom Action - $1100
    TriggerTech Primary Trigger - $145
    KRG Bravo Chassis - $350
    Prefit Shouldered Barrel for Axiom by PVA - $525 (cut from a hand lapped, button rifled blank made by Rock Creek)

Total: $2100, less if you catch some of those parts on sale. Figure another $200 if you want the action and barrel ceracoated.

The DD rifle does have their proprietary "carbon fiber reinforced polymer" stock with an integrated mini-chassis, while the Bravo is a chassis system with a full length aluminum backbone and modular front and rear sections (that you can upgrade later). The DD stock is probably nicer if you prefer a traditional stock, but the Bravo is more modular and can be upgraded in to a Whiskey-3 folder down the road if you'd like (and when your budget permits). Or you could spend a little more and drop the Curtis into any other chassis or Carbon Fiber stock made to take a Remington 700 style action.

With the Curtis Axiom you get many of the same specs as the DD: the integral recoil lug, 60 degree bolt throw, 3-lug bolt, Sako-style extractor, and included 20 moa picatinny base. Plus, like the TL3, the Curtis action uses shouldered barrels that are swappable without fooling with a barrel nut, in an action that is machined precisely enough that you can order pre-fits without sending your action to a smith to be measured. The TriggerTech is probably better than the DD trigger (certainly at least as good).

I haven't seen if DD has specified if their action is a Rem 700 footprint or something proprietary. If it uses a proprietary stock inlet that's another knock against it.

If DD is trying to bill their stock w mini-chassis and included bottom metal as an equivalent to a Manners, the price makes more sense (and might be argued to be a value), but I see that being a hard sell.

No doubt they'll sell plenty of rifles regardless.
    Good points here. I don't think many target guys will be all over this. Not really sure who this is geared towards... Hunting crowd?

The rifles you mentioned from PVA and also MPA would get my business if I was in the market for an entry level target/prs gun, before this DD at this same price point. I'm not, but their bolt gun quality is known. The DD isn't yet.

They are probably just looking to take some of the Rem 700 business and use their name to do so. This wont be a Accuracy International, or Cadex, or DT, or TRG, etc, etc. Should be a lower end 1moa durable hunting rifle with some features. Nothing new here at all. If you want a great rifle, contact GAP, Mile High, SAC, PVA, Gradous, LRI, and the list goes on and on. Hard pass for me here on the DD.

But like what mentioned above, time will tell. Everyone has to start somewhere..

Adding in that it's good for the industry to have new folks come in with new ideas and push the envelope. DD just has really stiff competition even if it's just a hunting rifle.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 01-21-19 at 13:37.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Wonder if they'll generate any Military/LE sales?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Good points here. I don't think many target guys will be all over this. Not really sure who this is geared towards... Hunting crowd?

The rifles you mentioned from PVA and also MPA would get my business if I was in the market for an entry level target/prs gun, before this DD at this same price point. I'm not, but their bolt gun quality is known. The DD isn't yet.

They are probably just looking to take some of the Rem 700 business and use their name to do so. This wont be a Accuracy International, or Cadex, or DT, or TRG, etc, etc. Should be a lower end 1moa durable hunting rifle with some features. Nothing new here at all. If you want a great rifle, contact GAP, Mile High, SAC, PVA, Gradous, LRI, and the list goes on and on. Hard pass for me here on the DD.

But like what mentioned above, time will tell. Everyone has to start somewhere..

Adding in that it's good for the industry to have new folks come in with new ideas and push the envelope. DD just has really stiff competition even if it's just a hunting rifle.
    No business is going to make a new bolt gun and blow everyone out of the water on their first gun. Just not going to happen, but like Jake said, they gotta start somewhere. If I were buying a new gun it would be a Bergara, and if John Doe was buying, it would be plenty of DD fan boys. My guess, they have enough goodwill to carry them for a decent launch. They have earned it IMHO?

Always good to have new competition. I hope someone buys one and we get orange report. This thread has taught me about several makers I have never heard before, so thank you DD.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Looking towards an uncertain future, if there's ever a general ban on AR's they need something to fall back on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    No business is going to make a new bolt gun and blow everyone out of the water on their first gun.
    Ruger did it with the RPR. Unlike what most seem to think, it wasn't slapping a common bolt gun in a chassis, nor is it a bolt action AR1 5.

The RPR has more in common with the TUBB 2000 than any other rifle out there. And the TUBB 2000 was revolutionary over 18 years ago.

This Daniel Defense effort is nowhere near close
    Last edited by Don Quijote; 01-21-19 at 20:00.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I found a review that sheds a little more light on the rifle's specs, and I was wrong about a few things.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/d...efense-review/

The rifle uses a floating bolt head that is interchangeable, so there is a possibility that DD may release different sized bolt faces in the future. The rifle also ships with a Timney Elite Hunter trigger, which retails for $150 and is closer to the TriggerTech than I was giving it credit for.

It sounds like they will also be selling the barrel extensions separately so buyers will be able to have a gunsmith set up custom barrels for their rifle if they like. I do think the review makes too much of the switch barrel capability of the rifle, as it's no where near the convenience of the AI the author compares it to (though also not the price of one).

Jake and Pappabear make some good points. It does seem like DD made an effort to look at current trends in higher end bolt action market, and they did a pretty decent job of putting together an action that checks a lot of boxes. To someone who isn't up to date on the current state of the art this rifle will likely look pretty revolutionary. It certainly has rifles like the premium Bergara models beat in terms of features.

My main point was that I think it's hitting the wrong price point to appeal to the precision rifle/PRS crowd, and at 8.9-9.5 lbs is too heavy to really appeal to a lot of serious hunters.

Still, I'm sure they will sell a ton of them based on their reputation for building quality ARs and the rifle's feature set. And I'm sure it's a quality rifle, and likely accurate.

I also think it's neat that they're offering a 7mm-08, and the lack of a 6mm Creed does suggest they're not really chasing the PRS shooter as a customer.

If I could buy one of these for closer to $1500-1600 I would be tempted to give one a shot.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 01-21-19 at 20:47.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast