Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Military/Tactical Watch Recommendations?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a Luminox and it's a really nice watch and takes a beating. However, I also have a G-Shock Atomic one and it's what I wear most every day. It can't be killed and cost a fraction of what I paid for the Luminox.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    I have a Luminox and it's a really nice watch and takes a beating. However, I also have a G-Shock Atomic one and it's what I wear most every day. It can't be killed and cost a fraction of what I paid for the Luminox.
    I think I'm leaning towards the G-Shock. Of course the good looking ones are really expensive...

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    A Costco near me in Orange County, CA has the Solar Atomic Casio Pathfinder for $129. I bought one and even took it snorkeling in Hawaii over the holidays with no issues. The compass seems to work faster than my Suunto X6 and the backlighting is brighter.

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...er/PAW1100-1V/

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    There are SO many Casio options. I really don't have a clue which one to get

Feedback Score
    ANY G-shock Or one of these or my personal favorite indestructible watch . Survived 6 out of 10 years of military service, was MIA (I simply forgot it somewhere in the field).

Feedback Score
    I love my Suunto Core. Of course the normal timer and multiple time zone features are great, but there's some things that really make it kick butt for my purposes.

Very accurate altimeter with an automatic function that switches it back to a barometer when you're not moving in the field.

Sunrise/sunset feature is great when deciding when to camp while hiking.

Extremely important--menu driven so you don't have to memorize buttons, rather it tells you how to use it.

Accurate compass with declination setting.

Nice logs for altitude, etc.

It's just really easy to use without having to memorize a complicated instruction manual.

Some people aren't thrilled by the reduced output of the data displayed. It's done that way for a reason--it will not give you away in tactical settings.

Two definite thumbs up.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I know this question should be in the Survival thread, but are digital watches EMP-proof? Yeah, I know the chances are probably somewhere between slim to none, but there's always the "What if."

What about the solar-powered watches, are they EMP-proof?

Feedback Score
    I've had G-shocks for over 25 years. They are absolutely indestructible The only reason I don't wear the original is because I've upgraded for newer features like solar power, a metal band and the atomic timekeeping. You can't go wrong with any of the G-Shocks plus they are a total bargain for what you get.

Feedback Score
    As somewhat of a watch whore, I have a few, a couple of which have seen some abuse.

My G-Shock I bought in college, beat the shit out of it through Quantico, flight school, and a bunch of field exercises. The battery died on me during my first tour in Afghanistan, and I rolled to my (at the time) backup watch, which was a Luminox. That one lasted the rest of the deployment, until it got shut in a HMMWV door. No real damage to my wrist, but the crystal on the watch cracked to shit. It still works, though, but it damn sure isn't water resistant anymore.

My day-to-day wear watches rotate between a couple Citizens and an Oris dive watch. The Oris is heavy, and has the crap kicked out of it, but it's a great looking, tough beast.

I seriously doubt that many, if any at all, digital would be resistant to the magnetic field generated by an EMP producing device. Mechanical watches are also susceptible, and the only one I've heard being hardened against it is the Rolex Milgauss. It'll only run you about $5-8k, depending on the model.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    I seriously doubt that many, if any at all, digital would be resistant to the magnetic field generated by an EMP producing device. Mechanical watches are also susceptible, and the only one I've heard being hardened against it is the Rolex Milgauss. It'll only run you about $5-8k, depending on the model.
    Sounds to me like EMP-Proof won't be a deciding factor

I've been looking at the Suunto Vectors and found onefor around $175, but the reviews are VERY mixed (on Amazon, anyways).

Would I be giving up a lot of durability against a G-Shock? The barometer, thermometer, altimeter, compass etc are really cool on the Vectors but I don't absolutely need it. And it's not solar-powered. But it looks SO much better than the G-Shocks IMO... Damn I hate decisions

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast