Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality factory AK's now cost more than brand name AR's and are a better investment.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    I've owned a lot more than that and I don't have these problems. I have about a dozen Arsenal AK's now- no issues. FYI- they only made 106's for one year, 2006 date code 46.
    You have a lot better luck than me. Or, did you stay clear of the 5.56x45 models? The issues with the 107UR and 104UR were just bad random luck due to poor assembly and packaging. The 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 models have all functioned fine from the start. FYI, I just checked my current 106CR. As you said, it has a 46 (2006) date code. My guess is that's the year they made the trunnions, but who knows? If they did actually assemble them all in 2006, that would certainly explain why the latest one that I received was no better than the first two when it comes to reliability. 13 years is a long time to keep something in inventory. Given the issues with the 5.56x45 models, they certainly would have had plenty of time to rework them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    You have a lot better luck than me. Or, did you stay clear of the 5.56x45 models? The issues with the 107UR and 104UR were just bad random luck due to poor assembly and packaging. The 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 models have all functioned fine from the start. FYI, I just checked my current 106CR. As you said, it has a 46 (2006) date code. My guess is that's the year they made the trunnions, but who knows? If they did actually assemble them all in 2006, that would certainly explain why the latest one that I received was no better than the first two when it comes to reliability. 13 years is a long time to keep something in inventory. Given the issues with the 5.56x45 models, they certainly would have had plenty of time to rework them.

Yah, all the 106's were built in 2006 or at least the bulk of the components were built then since they all have the same date code. They had a hard time selling the 106's because for a long time the 74 types, 104 and 105 were undercutting them- basically the ammo was cheap so people bought those instead. I'm the guy that came up with the concept of the 5.56 AKM/100 series type model that ended up becoming the SLR-106FR. I had a proto-type built by Ted Marshall in the late 90's on a Norinco 84s receiver but using Bulgarian milled 5.56 bolt/carrier/barrel, a 74 folding stock, and a modified original Norinco trunnion. Then I convinced Arsenal to produce a factory variant when I was a member of their old MIG/ETA forum prior to the sunset of the 94 ban. They finally agreed and started building them around 2006.

They had issues with the early production runs because they made several changes to the magazine feed lips. The same issue krept up in their SAM5 lines- basically they removed centering tabs on the magazines, that ended up not being able to feed properly. I then came up with a slight modification to the barrel's feed ramp bevel- to lower and widen the feed ramp. Once this is done they generally run without issues. Now there were some issues with the 106CR and 106UR which were a separate issue altogether that had to do with the higher pressure 5.56 rounds where some ended up getting a restricter grommet to reduce gas pressure. Ones without the grommet were over gassed with the extended barrel and needed to be SBR'd to reduce pressure. I can do a whole write up on the development of the 106 series, I have pictures of the old proto-type I had built saved on another hard drive if interested.

Here's a link to my original write up that goes over the feed ramp bevel modifications that I submitted to Arsenal to help them fix the feed ramp issues. Sorry it's a hotlink to the other site but this is where I originally did a write up on the mods that I developed for the production variants. The feedramp modifications weren't fully introduced until the later production runs so some of the earlier ones still have that same feeding issue if using certain mags- however it's easy to check to see if it's done or not and fix yourself if needed.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AK-47/5-...Fix/76-106540/

RR77
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 05-10-19 at 08:32.

Feedback Score
    104UR: Received at my dealer with twisted receiver cover. Turns out the rear sight on the receiver cover was rubbing on the edge of the box and it got smashed during shipment. A proper shipping box would have avoided this problem.

So much for AK indestructibility if a poor shipping box resulted in it being damaged!

Arsenal quality is a myth. .
    They were experts at marketing. My true Bulgarian SLR95's were all GTG. It's the Arsenal of Las Vegas that was full of lies and quality control screw ups. I should probably thank them: all my trials and tribulations with Arsenal finally woke me out of my "AK's are superior" fog and let me consider the AR. Since switching to the AR I've been mostly satisfied.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link. I'll check my 106CR out to see if the feed ramp modification has been done. That might explain why it runs 100% with Beryl magazines, but not the circle ten waffles. Nothing explains why Arsenal NV would receive a rifle back that's so obviously overgassed and do nothing to rectify the problem. This thing literally ejected Russian 223Rem 20 yards and so fast that you couldn't see the cases until they were past the peak of their trajectory.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2QDsr5hzzk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    So much for AK indestructibility if a poor shipping box resulted in it being damaged!

They were experts at marketing. My true Bulgarian SLR95's were all GTG. It's the Arsenal of Las Vegas that was full of lies and quality control screw ups. I should probably thank them: all my trials and tribulations with Arsenal finally woke me out of my "AK's are superior" fog and let me consider the AR. Since switching to the AR I've been mostly satisfied.

I'm sure the shipping box magically damaged the rifle- not some outside force. I mean AK's can survive drop tests that would completely destroy an AR but nothing is invincible. As far as Arsenal Vegas unbanning rifles- they need to tighten up their quality controls but personally I've had very few problems overall. I think their newer milled variants are good to go. Stamped guns required installing the rear trunnions for the folding stocks, opening up the magwells, and populating the barrels.

Thanks for the link. I'll check my 106CR out to see if the feed ramp modification has been done. That might explain why it runs 100% with Beryl magazines, but not the circle ten waffles. Nothing explains why Arsenal NV would receive a rifle back that's so obviously overgassed and do nothing to rectify the problem. This thing literally ejected Russian 223Rem 20 yards and so fast that you couldn't see the cases until they were past the peak of their trajectory.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2QDsr5hzzk

Hand feed some dummy rounds very slowly to see where the tip of the bullet is hitting, try it across several mags. I used live rounds for those photos hand feeding them letting them get damaged like that but in hindsight- probably not the best idea. Yah your rifle doesn't have the restrictor grommet so it's overgassed until you chop the barrel. It broke the disconnector- which is a cheap part. Just chop the barrel and get it SBR'd or have an AK USA extension installed.

https://www.ak-103.com/jackal-compensator
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 05-10-19 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    I'm sure the shipping box magically damaged the rifle- not some outside force. I mean AK's can survive drop tests that would completely destroy an AR but nothing is invincible.
    I was being facetious. I'm sure that rifle left the factory with the damage already there. The monkeys at Arsenal probably installed the receiver cover with a hammer.

Feedback Score
    I was being facetious. I'm sure that rifle left the factory with the damage already there. The monkeys at Arsenal probably installed the receiver cover with a hammer.
    I got an SA-85M underfolder pre-ban once that the receiver got physically bent during shipping. I have no clue how it happened, I sent it off, had the receiver bent back into alignment. It still ran fine.

Feedback Score
    Yah your rifle doesn't have the restrictor grommet so it's overgassed until you chop the barrel. It broke the disconnector- which is a cheap part. Just chop the barrel and get it SBR'd or have an AK USA extension installed.
    I chopped the barrel myself. That and the Beryl mags have it running 100%.

It was definitely damaged in shipment. The evidence was on the box. The box would have been fine for other models, but the rear sight on the krink top cover was right up against the side of the box. Something got pressed up against the box and bent it. When they replaced it, Arsenal NV did crap job on forming the ends of the pin that holds the replacement top cover in place.

Feedback Score
    I chopped the barrel myself. That and the Beryl mags have it running 100%.

It was definitely damaged in shipment. The evidence was on the box. The box would have been fine for other models, but the rear sight on the krink top cover was right up against the side of the box. Something got pressed up against the box and bent it. When they replaced it, Arsenal NV did crap job on forming the ends of the pin that holds the replacement top cover in place.
    I've watched your videos and monitored your complaining about Arsenal for some time both here and on the AKforum. I feel bad that they didn't address the issues but a lot of that had to do with them not knowing how to fix those issues- that's why I relented and helped them with the feed ramp bevel fix. Perhaps in your case with the 106CR, you may have a feed ramp issue and maybe the Beryl mags sit up a little higher or perhaps help push the nose of the round more toward the center- not sure. I always hand feed mine watching things to make sure I won't have issues as I showed how to address in those photos.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 05-10-19 at 12:30.

Feedback Score
    I've watched your videos and monitored your complaining about Arsenal for some time both here and on the AKforum. I feel bad that they didn't address the issues but a lot of that had to do with them not knowing how to fix those issues- that's why I relented and helped them with the feed ramp bevel fix.
    I wouldn't call it "complaining", but rather sharing the details of my experiences. I like to do this on the forums whenever members discuss any gun that I own and I think most appreciate this. I for sure appreciate others detailing their experiences as I'd rather learn from their experiences then get caught in the same pitfalls myself. Of course experiences can be both positive and negative. Positive, like "my $179 MAK-90 that's never malfunctioned went through another 200rds today" doesn't take as much to elaborate on as a negative experience. As for them not knowing how to fix the issues with my rifles, my goodness. They are the factory. If the ones who designed and manufactured a gun don't know how to make it work, then they shouldn't sell it. There's certainly no excuse for them selling the same unreliable rifles 13 years later.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast