Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)

Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch

Variety is the spice of life.- Sun Sat Soon, 534 B.C.

Wanted to check out the new Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch and the Memorial Day sale was the opportunity to do so. Installed one on my Colt with Norgon Ambi-magazine release and one on my SIONICS carbine with KAC Ambi-magazine release.

Geissele definitely went a different direction than the ABC/R from Forward Controls Design. I'll be getting some trigger time on it soon and will provide some observations down the road.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Looking forward to your review. I considered one myself but picked up an MK14 instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Interested as well.

I have always avoided modifying the bolt catch for fear of causing FTFs (see BAD lever)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I picked one up and installed it on a Colt as well. I like it! I haven't had it impede the function the rifle in any way so far, about 1000 rounds so far.

I haven't picked up a Forward Control one yet but will be. I've had quite long email conversations with Roger and he (like Bill Geissele) has a philosophy I like. Roger and Bill don't make things just for the sake of it, they design based on function, reliability and actually improving something. In Geissele's case, a lot of the products come from SOCOM saying 'We wish XXX existed' and Bill Geissele saying 'Say no more fam'

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For the record, I don't run any ambidextrous controls aside from some B.A.D. Selectors and those are honestly for aesthetics on some builds. I have a lot of muscle memory on the standard AR15/M16/M4 controls. Being a right handed shooter helps, even though I myself am ambidextrous i.e. I can write perfectly with both hands, but I shoot rifles better right handed.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I really like the extended surfaces on those pads and the texture looks grippy.

Excited to hear about reliability as I may pick one up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Maritime bolt catch and our ABC/R are both bolt catches, and they both have a larger upper paddle, that's where the similarity ends. As mooseman stated, we had different approaches to achieve different sets of goals, that's logical and proper.

Early on, military morons (MM) had suggested we extend the lower paddle with a rearward bias, such a thing had already been done on AXTS's proprietary bolt catch on their billet receiver. ABC/R's upper paddle is already larger and twice angled (the upper paddle has a10 degree cant at the lower 50%, and 15 degree cant at the top 50%, forming an "elbow") and wasn't the focus for this discussion.

Our view was firstly, the location of the bolt catch's lower paddle didn't present an issue for most users, and the upper paddle isn't meant to be accessed with an extended finger that can only exert limited pressure (compared to a thumb or palm) to the paddle, there's then scant needs to create a bolt catch with extended paddles with a rearward bias to enable it. Secondly ABC/R's design goal is quite different, it is to address the issue of ambi mag catches obscuring/masking the bolt catch's lower paddle, its angled and extra lateral protrusion more than adequately achieves that goal.

In the picture below, the ABC/R's angled and taller lower paddle clears the Norgon Ambi-Catch, and create a unique control surface area that can be easily and quickly distinguished from other control surfaces, such as the Norgon Ambi-Catch's lever.

Not all the AR's controls are placed in locations friendly for accessibility by both hands. Maritime bolt catch's approach makes it easier for the left hand finger to access the paddles while the left hand is grasping the pistol grip, while ABC/R's approach makes it easier to access in the conventional manner, especially with an ambi mag catch is present.
    Last edited by Duffy; 06-08-17 at 11:09.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
    I picked one up and installed it on a Colt as well. I like it! I haven't had it impede the function the rifle in any way so far, about 1000 rounds so far.

I haven't picked up a Forward Control one yet but will be. I've had quite long email conversations with Roger and he (like Bill Geissele) has a philosophy I like. Roger and Bill don't make things just for the sake of it, they design based on function, reliability and actually improving something. In Geissele's case, a lot of the products come from SOCOM saying 'We wish XXX existed' and Bill Geissele saying 'Say no more fam'
    Need proof that content marketing works? Look no further than the Maritime Bolt Catch...

With his reputation for quality, he should stay clear of the naming shenanigans and just sell good parts. You're right, he doesn't make things for the sake of it, he manufactures them to make money. The purported SOCOM connection just helps him make more.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Maritime name may indicate the service that requested it, it too differs from Geissele's normal naming convention that starts with Super, and follows the Airborne Charging Handle.

No branch of the service asked us to do anything, but if they did, I'd be tempted to let that be known, and what better way to do that than putting it in the name of the product

For us, it's hard to put "overly-analytic-righty-designed,lefty-friendly" into our naming convention

I'm all for supporting Geissele, we're one of their dealers. They don't put out fashionable trendy nonsense, just well engineered and made stuff that works. The Maritime bolt catch isn't a direct competition for our ABC/R, for they have different roles, it's incompatible with our EMR-A (enhanced magazine release, ambidextrous), EMR-A's paddle's top edge, or the Maritime bolt catch's lower paddle bottom edge would need to be trimmed for these two to work, even then it's not an ideal arrangement due to the close proximity of two control surfaces.
    Last edited by Duffy; 06-09-17 at 11:23.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    A point of interest about the Maritime Bolt Catch. You won't be able to use this in conjunction with the Forward Controls Design EMR-A.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast