Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Make You Think Twice Before Buying a Polymer Lower Receiver

Feedback Score
    KE polymer lower doing full-auto mag dumps. Starting at about 8:00, there are also pushups, a run-over, pullups AND buttstrokes against a 4x4 post.
    https://youtu.be/YQ451lbKW0o
    Last edited by shep854; 01-02-22 at 16:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shep854 View Post
    KE polymer lower doing full-auto mag dumps. Starting at about 8:00, there are also pushups, a run-over, pullups AND buttstrokes against a 4x4 post.
    I’m sure they’re wonderful, and you are free to spend your money as you see fit. I posted earlier that I had an aluminum receiver break in the exact same manner. In 25 years since and multiple aluminum lowers, I have not experienced this again. I see no advantage worth rolling the dice with a polymer receiver.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    I’m sure they’re wonderful, and you are free to spend your money as you see fit. I posted earlier that I had an aluminum receiver break in the exact same manner. In 25 years since and multiple aluminum lowers, I have not experienced this again. I see no advantage worth rolling the dice with a polymer receiver.
    I’m not in a hurry to buy a polymer lower either. 🙂

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    During the peak of one of the Obama scares one of my buddies got all "MUST HAVE" over some no name 5.7upper and payed some rediculous amount for it. To maintain the continuity of retardation he grabbed an ATI polymer lower, the only lower he could find.

He brought this contraption over to my place and we pieced it together with bushmaster take off parts. It had a card in the box specifically warning against using a non mil-spec buffer tube. Advising him that the bushy non mil-spec tube was all I had to spare, he wanted to press on. What difference could it make?

The lower lasted 9rds before it broke as shown above.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Possibly the only legit use I've seen for one of these types of lowers (3:25 min)...

Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What was the approximate round count of the rifle when that occured?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cips View Post
    What was the approximate round count of the rifle when that occured?
    If you're asking me, I don't recall. It was some thousand. The guy said it was worth what he paid for it. This was back in the day when polymer lowers were no more than $30. He looked at it like he'd worn out a barrel. He said "No big deal. I'll just replace it and continue shooting."
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Maybe the OP should have used one of those $700 lowers he’s trying to peddle instead?

I see no reason to roll the dice on Polymer when you can buy any number of well machined, in tolerance aluminum stripped lowers equal to or less than the cost of this trash.
    You’ve made a typo, sir. His lowers are $1000 and $1600.

And I echo the sentiment on polymer. Perhaps the KE Arms one is acceptable.

Feedback Score
    I can't remember how long ago it's been because time flies, but this happened when I was shooting with the local sheriff's department during their quals a few years ago. The deputy simply racked the charging handle and this exact thing happened. He wasn't the kind of deputy that regularly shot either. In fact, I'd place a five dollar bet it was the first time he'd attempted to charge the rifle. The whole sheriff's department was issued rifles built on this brand of lower and there were many problems. I can't remember what the rules are on posting manufacturer's names, so I won't do it.

Needless to say, over the years most have purchased and qualed with their own ARs. I think there may be a few of the polymers floating around still.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shep854 View Post
    I've no desire to own one nor will I however, this lower did pretty well. I do believe with advances in polymers etc, they may be viable in the future as we already have poly products stronger than steel with a 1/10 the weight. The real issue I see is the environmental impacts for instance, how will they do in artic conditions? impressive regardless but still only for a .22

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast