Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: So you want to go to a Training Course for the first time?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by marksman1023 View Post
    Second the question about a good class for someone who has only had the basic military qualification course.
    There are several quality instructors that participate here on M4.
    I would direct you to check out the guys in "Ask the SME", as well as in the "Training" sub-forums.

The first question is not so much as "who", but "what".
    What do you want the training to do for you?
    From there, see who comes with recommendations from people that know the topic and will be accessible to you.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I've been to some rifle and some pistol classes. A lot of good stuff has been mentioned.

If you have it, bring more of each thing. Two types of slings? Bring both, see which works best.

I never had an issue with my reloads in a class. Having said that you tend to get teary eyed about losing that brass you've prepped. So prepare to fire and forget otherwise I would recommend sticking to commercial if possible, you know, like Federal, where you don't care if it disappears. Classes are now offering the option to sell you ammo for your event.
    If you decide to buy their ammo bring several different weight buffers with you to help diagnose any cycling issues.

If you decide to take the GoPro route .... mount it and forget it. Use the remote option. You need both hands.
    I have the headstrap and the remote. I've used it doing aerobatics in an airplane. Plenty stable. I'd like to try a rifle mount. Just don't fool with it during your exercise.

Either put your extraneous stuff in your bag on the line or place it on you so that it doesn't get damaged (or damage you) when you 'go prone!!!'.

Gloves are nice to have, otherwise the tape mentioned earlier. That gap in the trigger guard likes to blister the middle finger (Ergo Grip Gapper to the rescue )

If the line goes prone for some distance training and you are exceedingly fortunate enough, like I once was, to be next to the guy with the 300WSM with a muzzle brake ........... welcome to the firing range
    Last edited by danpass; 05-16-13 at 20:44.
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Be prepared for the class to not wait for you to un-f yourself or your gear. Got an issue? Step off the line and fix it. The class is likely to keep going. Another reason to make sure you're run quality stuff. You paid $2k or more for a class, you don't want to miss a minute of it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just completed a handgun course recently and have two things to add to this thread as a result.

1. Bring your weapon/gear as you intend to use it. Several folks showed up with gear that they will never actually use. For example, a portion of the class was deployment from concealed carry and one participant was using a monstrous paddle holster that would be seen from the space station.

1. Do NOT use reloads. One participant had a round fire and then lock the slide completely. Long story short, no powder - primer only. He was about 2 seconds from firing a fresh round down the pipe with a projectile unknowingly lodged in the barrel when I queried him on the disposition of the previous round.

Great thread!

Feedback Score
    Can youth (under 18) attend training courses? I realize this is probably not so, however, I can't find any info on any training companies' websites requiring an age limit. Thanks in advance for any help.

Levi
    "They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I definitely need a first-timer class! I'll be looking for one in my area (central KY) and signing up ASAP. Thanks for the post!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    dupe..
    Last edited by officerX; 12-24-13 at 00:40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by levik97 View Post
    Can youth (under 18) attend training courses? I realize this is probably not so, however, I can't find any info on any training companies' websites requiring an age limit. Thanks in advance for any help.

Levi
    You would have to contact the trainer or the sponsor company directly and ask. Exceptions might be made for a private class, but I would suspect it highly unlikely for a standard class. Especially with all the BS of late involving shootings by persons still in high school.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by officerfrasher View Post
    I definitely need a first-timer class! I'll be looking for one in my area (central KY) and signing up ASAP. Thanks for the post!
    Check out Mr. Smith, you can find him on this site or at Superior Firearms. He's a former VSM instructor and a good guy.

Feedback Score
    I live in NE Indiana and am wanting to take some firearms courses, one in particular is Kyle Defoors carbine course in OH. However in the class description it says the class is for students who have attended shooting courses before or students who have a good understanding of carbine basics. I have never attended a class before so I'm hoping someone could elaborate on what is meant by carbine basics. Or if you have attended on of Kyles courses how advanced is it? Thanks

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast