Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free float handguards

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    You want a dedicated, long barrel nut and ideally a "Beefy," non-flexing rail.

Older All-Picatinny quad rails generally have linear strength from the bigger/heavier cross-section to minimize external flexing - deflection. The barrel's still going to point true, coaxially toward the target, and if the rail doesn't flex you'll be a little more consistent (why accessories like aiming lasers don't flex off axial line with the barrel bore).

The Geiselle Mark 7 is fantastic, and I own BCM 12s that do pretty much the same thing, cheaper. SLR also has some good quad-rail options, as well as the tried-and-true Larue 12.0.

Midwest's Night Fighter line uses a long nut and a beefier back end, specifically to minimize deflection when using night aiming lasers.

The GI barrel nut does OK, but isn't optimum -- it's a cheap-quick fix.
    Thank you Sinister, that is the information I was seeking. I'll look at the MI Night Fighter line but I think the BCM is now front runner.

Feedback Score
    and then there's the Aero Enhanced series uppers, where the rail attaches directly to the upper receiver, instead of the barrel nut. but very limited selection of handguards, MLOK only, FDE or black, just pick the length.

uses a "BAR" mounting system, but not many mfrs build rails to that standard. not very svelte, seems to be mostly for precision use since the rail isn't attached to the barrel nut, but does provide lots of clearance for even clamp-on adjustable gas blocks.
    Last edited by rpoL98; 12-11-22 at 10:01.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpoL98 View Post
    and then there's the Aero Enhanced series uppers, where the rail attaches directly to the upper receiver, instead of the barrel nut. but very limited selection of handguards, MLOK only, FDE or black, just pick the length.

uses a "BAR" mounting system, but not many mfrs build rails to that standard. not very svelte, seems to be mostly for precision use since the rail isn't attached to the barrel nut, but does provide lots of clearance for even clamp-on adjustable gas blocks.
    OK, I'll check those out. What length handguard will fit with a FSB? I know 9" is OK but what about 9.25" I see a lot of those.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpoL98 View Post

Aero is my go-to for mid budget builds, but I really don't like their rail interfaces. I have one that uses a BAR nut, which is a pain to time for some reason and I could not for the life of me find a barrel nut wrench that fit properly. I had to grind the pins on a standard barrel nut wrench to get it to fit, just barely. I also have an Atlas rail that uses these weird little wedges that are a fiddle fest. Once setup, they have been solid.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Does anybody use a Seekins rail?
    Last edited by JStor; 12-14-22 at 11:01.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    OK, I'll check those out. What length handguard will fit with a FSB? I know 9" is OK but what about 9.25" I see a lot of those.
    The BCM QRF-9 is designed to be used with a mid-length gas system with an FSP, it has an actual length of 9.24"
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    The BCM QRF-9 is designed to be used with a mid-length gas system with an FSP, it has an actual length of 9.24"
    Yes, BCM seems to have what I am looking for so that is where I am going. I was just looking at options. Anyone here have experience with the Larue handguards?

I am referring to these:https://www.larue.com/products/larue...ny-handguards/
    Last edited by 1986s4; 12-13-22 at 07:01.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have four or five Larues, two on my National Match rifles.

Another option (and a bargain) is the White Oak:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    I have four or five Larues, two on my National Match rifles.

Another option (and a bargain) is the White Oak:

Thanks, I still need it to fit with a FSB so it looks like LaRue or BCM. From what I have been able to read on the subject both the LaRue and BCM have a strong barrel nut/handguard attachment system. I am interested in that question. Is one better than the other? I'm not Larry Vickers, I don't test my weapons by throwing them out of helicopters or blowing them up. But a inherently strong attachment point is desirable.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Is one better than the other?
    Has LaRue updated the original design? It was a world class ass ache with the strap wrench and all that shit.

I personally would rather give BCM business over Dick Face LaRue, but to each his own. I only have experience with the Carbine BCM QRF, and I love it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast