Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 224 Valkyrie...newest AR cartridge from Federal

Feedback Score
    I'm skeptical. Ballistics look great until you factor in actual barrel length. A lot of assumptions are being made about velocity from AR carbine and SPR length barrels while the actual specs are using longer 24" tubes. I was looking hard at the .22 Nosler until I realized that from a 24" barrel I can get the same velocities by simply chambering in 5.56NATO and loading accordingly. As far as reloading, Hodgdon has data in their 2018 book and online, it's not impressive versus the 5.56.

Something tells me that once we get more shooter data the Valk's going to be a ballistic twin to the .22PPC, a round you've been able to put in an upper since the first 7.62X39 AR hit the shelves.
    Last edited by jaholder; 01-06-18 at 21:50.

Feedback Score
    556 to equal the 224 with a 24 inch barrel? That doesn't sound likely- and you can't run the longer bullets.

22PPC, I ran a search for ammo and it was kind of funny when the Midway result was a bunch of empty ammo containers. Is there commercial ammo?

Factory ammo- cheap, like cheaper per round than 6.5/6 Creedmore.
    Fits in an AR magwell, currently available bolts.

It looks like it is an imperfect round that is a perfect way to get more people into long range shooting.

I agree, the proof will be in the rifles when they are out next year at matches. When someone skilled with an AR starts beating bolt guys running real rounds, that will be the interesting part. For a lot of matches, I don't know how many people really shoot out far enough for the round to be really impactful Sure, if you are playing 1000+ yards and you want use your current lower nad to pick up ammo at Cabelas, this makes all the sense in the world.

The big winners if it catches on? Companies making target indicators for the low energy hits from this round at extended ranges.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I don't know how many people really shoot out far enough for the round to be really impactful
    That's just it. I read stuff on the webs all the time about guys who believe they need to go to great lengths and buy custom calibers to do what we do every sunday with plain old .223, .308, etc.

There's a lot of folks who think you need to buy long range success rather than putting in the work.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's just it. I read stuff on the webs all the time about guys who believe they need to go to great lengths and buy custom calibers to do what we do every sunday with plain old .223, .308, etc.

There's a lot of folks who think you need to buy long range success rather than putting in the work.
    You mean I can't buy off the spin-drift and windage Gods? What chance do I have? Why God, WHY.

I'm particularly interested since I've been working my son up through 22s prairie dos matches to 223 carbine matches. I was eyeing PRS matches and lower recoil was an interesting feature and starting from a clean slate for him gives me flexibility. The recoil thing is getting less an issue since the boy just passed me in height- at the age of 12- though I have a lot more recoil management assets. If I could get one round for semi-auto and bolt rifle PRSish stuff, that works pretty well. What JP does with my JP15 upper with the gas, BCG/buffer and brake is simply amazing.

I'm still seeing 6mm Creed as the apex of low-recoil, factory ammo and ballistic performance. But the ability to swap my LMT-MWS in 308 for more commanility, at least on lowers for SA is compelling.

Factory ammo is key for me, I don't need the hobby of reloading. That said, it would be interesting to see how those solid bullets from Warner would do in a cartridge like this.
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 01-09-18 at 14:23.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Factory ammo is key for me, I don't need the hobby of reloading.
    If I wanted a low recoil/long range set up. I'd run a 5.56 (in whatever config desired... bolt gun, carbine, etc) and buy the BH 5.56mm TMKs in either 69 or 77 gr. The 69s shoot ridiculously flat... I think we shaved a mil and a half off at 500 yards. And the 77s are the only round in 223 that we've been able to call hits at 1300 yards.

I'm sure there's a niche for the topic cartridge, but there is some downside/ass ache to switching over to these type of rounds. To me, this round fills the I NEED A BOX FED 1000 PLUS YARD LOAD. Not many people REALLY need this or can shoot on a range with that distance.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

Bingo.

I’ll outshoot 90% of M4C at 800 yards with my .223 gas gun.

Bring your 6.5s and dashers folks. Let’s go.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-09-18 at 20:04. Reason: Edited from 99 to 90% for reasonableness
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Bingo.

I’d take you up on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Bingo.

They haven't seen your video of shooting in a Hurricane....

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    I think I would rather have a Tac 6 with 105 Bergers doing 2800fps than a Valkyrie shooting 90smks at 2700. 6mm bullets from 55-105gr make the 6mms more versatile IMO.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Frank over at snipers hide dabbled in it this last weekend and was impressed. Sounds like JP is making a great offering and should get pretty big in the PRS game.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast