Page 46 of 64 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Radio Communications

Feedback Score
    Guys, what an impressive thread. Took me all day and then some to grind through it. Great info. A couple things to add or second. First, study and get your Tech license. Not only is it easy but it will help you understand almost 40% of the info that was dispersed here. I got my Tech and then my General a few years ago and then took an assignment overseas and and never really got a chance to set up a base station. Then joined a hard driving 4x4 club and did set up for mobile ops. I also have a CB which I am more than sure the good old boy at the truck stop hyped up while I was eating lunch cause I never have problems being heard on that. Never confirmed any shenanigans mind, just a suspicion. The difference in sound quality between my Yaesu FT 8900 and my Cobra 29 WX NW ST is night and day and that was during convoy driving flat lands. Lost the CB signal altogether once we hit the mountains or went off road into the woods. Now back in the US I will try something else. Set up my mobile gear in a "shack" in the house, using a Alinco power supply to replace the dual Batts in my 4x4. I still need an amp and an antenna tuner and would love suggestions. My goal is to be able to listen, stay proficient and test my gear in good times and pull the setup and plug it back into the truck when it is time to roll.out. I plan to practice the bug out transition as well. Additionally , I also have my handheld Yaesu vx7R which we used to use when the 4x4 group got separated into clumps out along the trails. I have heard that there is a way to have the VX7R use the a vehicle mounted FT8900 as a repeater to strengthen the handheld signal. I want to see if I can get that to work. It might come in useful if I'm way out deep in the woods hunting and something goes sideways.

To sum up I'd like recommendations from this group on :
    1- amplifiers mobile/base station
    2- antenna tuners mobile/base station

I have my antenna book and need to spend some time thinking through the antenna recommendations in this thread, match them up with the book and my terrain here at the house. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Sorry that I forgot to place use of comms in the prep context. My family is anywhere from 60 to 400 miles away. If the phone system crashes I will need to lash up now and practice a way of communicating with them using the gear that have plus a frw bits more to lett them know that I'm ok, and their status as well and get an exchange of plans going forward. I envision being on the road early so mobile is the ticket for.me. If things are really bad and I have to dismount my rig then use my handheld to maintain SA on any group that is moving in a coordinated manner nearby as I make my way to the agreed upon rally point. Anyway the plan is always subject to change and updating. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Hearing protection: Check!
    Enhanced hearing: Check!
    Comms: CHECK!

Finally, my project is over and I am glad to say that it is a 100% success (and saved tons of money) and allows me to use the radio of my choice instead of just a motorola!

Voice on the other end is extremely clear and they tell me I am coming in perfectly clear.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    Doc, I like the headset, got a part number/model number and source to share? Additional question, is there a way to key the Mike without reaching for the handset? Not a deal breaker for me just a factor for me to add into the mix. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Ya, you see that square in the first pic near the bottom? That's the PTT button. It has velcro on the back of it so it sticks to my near the top of my plate carrier. My one complaint is that the button is a little small. I have to to do my stress test on it so we will see if my gross motor skills will be able to access it easily. My first thought is yes, but I will want to take my kit through my run and gun camp that I do every few months to get stress levels up and see how I act and if my gear responds well to me under stress and what changes need to be made.

I will make a parts list shortly. It was actually REALLY easy to make and kinda fun to figure out.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    Ya, you see that square in the first pic near the bottom? That's the PTT button. It has velcro on the back of it so it sticks to my near the top of my plate carrier. My one complaint is that the button is a little small. I have to to do my stress test on it so we will see if my gross motor skills will be able to access it easily. My first thought is yes, but I will want to take my kit through my run and gun camp that I do every few months to get stress levels up and see how I act and if my gear responds well to me under stress and what changes need to be made.

I will make a parts list shortly. It was actually REALLY easy to make and kinda fun to figure out.
    That is awesome Doc,

Thanks for posting up some pictures, excited for that parts list when it comes out to give a build a go myself. I really like the idea of all three major areas being covered, as you mentioned.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Bad ass. Are those modified Howard Leights?

I sold my Comtac IIIs, because they were no longer compatible with my new HTs.

Parts list, dude. Parts list ASAP. I have a Comms chubby.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    Hearing protection: Check!
    Enhanced hearing: Check!
    Comms: CHECK!

Finally, my project is over and I am glad to say that it is a 100% success (and saved tons of money) and allows me to use the radio of my choice instead of just a motorola!

Voice on the other end is extremely clear and they tell me I am coming in perfectly clear.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    The FT-8900 has cross band repeating. You can TX on 2m to the 8900 from your handheld, and the radio in the vehicle will retransmit on 440.

Base station: Icom IC-7200

Icom went full-retard, and discontinued one of the only amateur radios out there made for hard-use. They can still be picked up, new, as they only recently announced they wouldn't be manufacturing them anymore. Built-in TNC for computer interfacing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by City Rat View Post
    Guys, what an impressive thread. Took me all day and then some to grind through it. Great info. A couple things to add or second. First, study and get your Tech license. Not only is it easy but it will help you understand almost 40% of the info that was dispersed here. I got my Tech and then my General a few years ago and then took an assignment overseas and and never really got a chance to set up a base station. Then joined a hard driving 4x4 club and did set up for mobile ops. I also have a CB which I am more than sure the good old boy at the truck stop hyped up while I was eating lunch cause I never have problems being heard on that. Never confirmed any shenanigans mind, just a suspicion. The difference in sound quality between my Yaesu FT 8900 and my Cobra 29 WX NW ST is night and day and that was during convoy driving flat lands. Lost the CB signal altogether once we hit the mountains or went off road into the woods. Now back in the US I will try something else. Set up my mobile gear in a "shack" in the house, using a Alinco power supply to replace the dual Batts in my 4x4. I still need an amp and an antenna tuner and would love suggestions. My goal is to be able to listen, stay proficient and test my gear in good times and pull the setup and plug it back into the truck when it is time to roll.out. I plan to practice the bug out transition as well. Additionally , I also have my handheld Yaesu vx7R which we used to use when the 4x4 group got separated into clumps out along the trails. I have heard that there is a way to have the VX7R use the a vehicle mounted FT8900 as a repeater to strengthen the handheld signal. I want to see if I can get that to work. It might come in useful if I'm way out deep in the woods hunting and something goes sideways.

To sum up I'd like recommendations from this group on :
    1- amplifiers mobile/base station
    2- antenna tuners mobile/base station

I have my antenna book and need to spend some time thinking through the antenna recommendations in this thread, match them up with the book and my terrain here at the house. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    The FT-8900 has cross band repeating. You can TX on 2m to the 8900 from your handheld, and the radio in the vehicle will retransmit on 440.

Base station: Icom IC-7200

Icom went full-retard, and discontinued one of the only amateur radios out there made for hard-use. They can still be picked up, new, as they only recently announced they wouldn't be manufacturing them anymore. Built-in TNC for computer interfacing, etc.

Bad da_ _ a$$. I love it when my gear actually has cool hidden features, at least hidden from me, lol. Now I'll have to figure out how to set it all up and then find somebody to test it out on on 440 once I get fully setup again. My next problem is that in the new house that I moved into I have a massive 60+ foot oak tree and a 20+ foot dogwood in the backyard that eat up 80% of the space that sees the sky clearly. Gotta work out a system that can utilize those trees as masts in a stationary antenna setup for my place. Will be cracking the antenna book this weekend.
    Just trying to get a straight answer in a twisted world.
    Colt LE SOCOM 6920 5.56
    Ruger SR1911 Commander .45
    Marlin 1895 GBL .45/70
    Marlin Golden 39M Mountie .22
    CVA Wolf Smokepole .50
    Remington 870 Express Magnum Scatter gun 12ga (project)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Bad ass. Are those modified Howard Leights?

I sold my Comtac IIIs, because they were no longer compatible with my new HTs.

Parts list, dude. Parts list ASAP. I have a Comms chubby.
    You dudes are funny.
    Just trying to get a straight answer in a twisted world.
    Colt LE SOCOM 6920 5.56
    Ruger SR1911 Commander .45
    Marlin 1895 GBL .45/70
    Marlin Golden 39M Mountie .22
    CVA Wolf Smokepole .50
    Remington 870 Express Magnum Scatter gun 12ga (project)

Page 46 of 64 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast