Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder holsters? Pros and Cons?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I was issued a Galco Miami classic when overseas years ago. We used them with our issued G17's when driving. The thin straps we had dug into my shoulders. The G17 stuck out like crazy with my 5-9 160 pound body size under the issued banana republic vest. Also for me if I didn't have the holster secured to my belt it flopped all over the place when jumping in and out of vehicles and walking around.

Women seem to make the belly band work because they don't have a lot of belt options. Maybe something to try. David
    Last edited by dwhitehorne; 04-10-21 at 17:19.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Belly band. It will also make you look slimmer in that high fashion scenario...
    I already get told that I look too thin for my height on a regular basis, so the last thing I need is something “slimming” haha, but I hadn’t previously considered a belly band for this purpose before, that’s a good idea. I kind of always regarded them as sort of junky and flimsy but for literally just lounging around the house they might fit the bill.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Not even really sure about pajama scenario because most decent shoulder/chest I can think of tend to have a tie off connected to the belt or waist to stay put.
    Mitch Rosen nor Andrews Leather use them.

One thing I find important with shoulder holsters is they have to be balanced so I'd opt for something like the U.S.R. (Urban Safari Rig)
    But if you're looking something super lightweight for a small gun check out Ken Null's shoulder holsters.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 04-10-21 at 18:10.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    They were more of a 70s and 80s thing. They do work well if you are in a vehicle or aircraft a lot. The only one I own now is a custom French made shoulder holster for my Manuhrin MR73.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Only scenarios I can think of are seated in a vehicle or carrying a back pack and that last one is really limited to a chest holster like an M3/M7.

Not even really sure about pajama scenario because most decent shoulder/chest I can think of tend to have a tie off connected to the belt or waist to stay put.
    Having tried a shoulder holster with a ruck, not no but hell no.

The pajama thing seems applicable. Super easy to throw on.

Some use belt tie downs, some don't. Purely optional.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Having tried a shoulder holster with a ruck, not no but hell no.

The pajama thing seems applicable. Super easy to throw on.

Some use belt tie downs, some don't. Purely optional.
    Yeah I would think a traditional shoulder holster riding under the arm and pack straps would be a pain.

Meant something like this:

https://epsaddlery.com/product/1942-...-to-5-barrels/

And there are also full on chest holsters that most pictures I have seen show riding roughly mid sternum.

Feedback Score
    I have survival sheath holsters with a variety of harnesses on them. His holsters are great, his harness isn't so great.

I have 3 uses for them, first if I am in a very cold place with a heavy overcoat, it is easier to get to the pistol than if it was on the belt. Second is in a 3rd world dump and all I have is a pistol if at night something happens I can grab the holster and have the pistol and spare mags with me. When I used to do a lot of protection details. I could stand with my arms cross and the pistol could be in my hand and nobody had a clue. Also when seating in a car or office a lot on these details it was more comfortable, especially in seats of European made cars.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Pretty much driving long car trips would be the only useful application I could see in my life. Cross country trips type of long. I'd avoid it unless it's specifically called for.
    Last time I signed one of those White House petitions it resulted in an almost-daily helping of SPAM in the inbox of that account. Worse than even the NRA. And Piers Morgan never did get deported....
    -Hmac

Feedback Score
    I inherited an uncles GI 1911 and a shoulder rig for it (Bianchi I think). I really want to like the shoulder rig and be all 80s cool. I just can't.

The one I have holds a 5" 1911 vertical, 2 spare mags, has belt loops. It all fits nice and comfy as long as you just stand or sit. Walking is ok, but even a mild trot starts the gun moving and hitting you in the ribs (thump, thump, thump,...).

Kinda like getting a 20ish girlfriend at my age. The idea sounds like it would be cool, but in the end it's just a whole lot of trouble.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    I have been a proponent of shoulder holsters since the mid eighties. My major plus was comfort. The major draw back was the draw, not exactly made for speed of draw. I didn't worry about muzzle sweep. If you have a cover garment no one will notice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast