Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Options for Mounting a Light on an AK

Feedback Score
    Here's an option. I saw these guys in SGN a while back. It looks more comblock than some of the other stuff.

100% Made In the USA.

The main housing is made of 6061-T6 AIRCRAFT GRADE ALUMINUM.

The bolts are Grade 4 STEEL.

The Top Plate is Grade 4 STEEL.

http://www.mfiap.com/smallarms/barrel-mount-ak.shtml

Last edited by Tomahawk_Ghost; 08-29-11 at 10:35. Reason: add link

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have been using this one from DBMG but since this pic was taken I have milled the other (unused) rails off to lighten it up and stramline the look.

What I like about this mount is that it allows me to run my hand further forward than I could if it were mounted to the handguard.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone used the new Hogue overmolded AK handguards?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My buddy has one arriving today or tomorrow I'm curious to check it out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deejai View Post
    Has anyone used the new Hogue overmolded AK handguards?

I have a couple sets. They're nice! I like them. This rifle is my response to the lessons learned in the Vickers class (yeah, I said no more building, but...).

It will be wearing a US Palm optic-specific railed handguard with my T1 on it soon. Along with a full cerakote refinish, it should be a bad mother****er when it's all said and done. Well, as much as a CA ****in' eunuch rifle can be one.
    Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score
    As for a light, I was perusing the new Surefire catalog today and saw this. Gave me hope, but I haven't looked very carefully at it yet. My Want meter definitely spiked red a few times looking at this one.

MVG 1
    EXTENDED-RANGE VARIABLE-OUTPUT LED WEAPONLIGHT
    The power and control provided by SureFire’s Vertical Foregrip WeaponLights have been relied upon by the U.S. Military and SWAT teams for years. But the MVG 1 Vertical Foregrip WeaponLight takes this to a whole new level. Simply press the MVG 1's center grip switch for an incredible 2,000-lumen beam of retinal-searing white light. This blinding output is the result of a large LED and a deep, smooth reflector that produce an extended-reach beam that’s powered by integrated rechargeable lithium-ion batteries that maximize output and runtime—it can also be powered by 123A lithium batteries.
    The MVG 1 is the only choice when a long gun WeaponLight with maximum output, reach, and light-dominating capability is required. However, you can also press the left grip switch to activate a low-output beam when you don’t need full power. The MVG 1 features a strobe mode accessible via the right grip switch—all switches are press-for-momentary-on for tactical efficiency. MVG 1's hard-anodized aerospace aluminum body comes with heat- dissipating fins and an integral Swing-LeverTM clamp for rock-solid attachment, even to out-of-spec rails.
    Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk_Ghost View Post
    Here's an option. I saw these guys in SGN a while back. It looks more comblock than some of the other stuff.

100% Made In the USA.

The main housing is made of 6061-T6 AIRCRAFT GRADE ALUMINUM.

The bolts are Grade 4 STEEL.

The Top Plate is Grade 4 STEEL.

http://www.mfiap.com/smallarms/barrel-mount-ak.shtml

This works really well. I moved mine behind the gas block. I also added nuts and lock washers to it as the aluminum lower strips very easily; the bolts aren't big enough, IMO.

It works and it really streamlines the rifle. I ran a sure fire G3 in a VLTOR offset scout mount before this and I like it much better.

Mike

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peshawar View Post

I have a couple sets. They're nice! I like them. This rifle is my response to the lessons learned in the Vickers class (yeah, I said no more building, but...).

It will be wearing a US Palm optic-specific railed handguard with my T1 on it soon. Along with a full cerakote refinish, it should be a bad mother****er when it's all said and done. Well, as much as a CA ****in' eunuch rifle can be one.
    I wonder if the rail slots on the Hogue grips are strong enough to mount one of the IWC cantilevered light mounts? I'm trying to think up a reasonable way to mount a light on my soon-to-be-SBR'd Draco.
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Feedback Score
    I think you can make such a thing viable. What I would do, to reinforce the idea and to make it a "serious" mod, is to use good steel washers on the other side of the upper handguard (if that is the thing you have in mind). Loctite that shit, and it should hold as long as the polymer is up to snuff, which it most likely is. The main reason people have problems is that they don't think about the counter-forces introduced when mounting shit. If you address it, then it should be good.

YMMV, I don't know much about this area. I'm more of a nuts and bolts build geek.
    Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I wonder if the rail slots on the Hogue grips are strong enough to mount one of the IWC cantilevered light mounts? ................
    This is my question too (for the slot in the lower). The clamp on barrel mounts are not what I want, although AZ6's DBMG might be a possibility for me. AZ6, can you post a pic of the milled version after the mod? I am trying to put the light at 10-11 o'clock and slightly forward with a tail cap button operation. The DBMG might work for me with a VTAC mount.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast