Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does spray paint delay barrel cooldown?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Does spray paint delay barrel cooldown?

As a rust prevention measure, I tend to spray paint barrels under the handguard. For running and gunning, it hardly matters to me. But for applications where you may be waiting for the barrel to cool, such as a prairie dog town, it'd be practical not to do things that cause heat retention. What say ye?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    As a rust prevention measure, I tend to spray paint barrels under the handguard. For running and gunning, it hardly matters to me. But for applications where you may be waiting for the barrel to cool, such as a prairie dog town, it'd be practical not to do things that cause heat retention. What say ye?
    When I think of barrel cooling down, I think of a rapid ROF mag dumps or FA. Barrels perform a little better when heated up than a cold barrel from what I remeber. Coatings (like suppressor covers) IMO can be like a double edged sword. They can help with outside temps so you don't bacon strip your leg, but with even semi- rapid fire, its harnessing that core heat and can easily damage some suppressors. I would think a heat coating on a barrel would be subjective to the same principles of a suppressor cover, header wrap, and temp coatings. They will help with lowering ambient temps but will also lesson the life of what it's applied too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It sounds like a basic heat transfer problem where you’re removing heat from the barrel through conduction, convection and radiation. The primary mechanism for barrel cooling is likely free convection unless it’s glowing red hot.

Depending on what actual paint you’re using, there are thermal paints that have higher conductivity and emissivity than the base metal and can increase heat transfer compared to bare metal. In general, I think typical paints tend to be less conductive than metal but I’m not sure how measurable a difference a thin coat would make.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    It sounds like a basic heat transfer problem where you’re removing heat from the barrel through conduction, convection and radiation. The primary mechanism for barrel cooling is likely free convection unless it’s glowing red hot.

Depending on what actual paint you’re using, there are thermal paints that have higher conductivity and emissivity than the base metal and can increase heat transfer compared to bare metal. In general, I think typical paints tend to be less conductive than metal but I’m not sure how measurable a difference a thin coat would make.
    He's spot on. I'd would wager that leaving your bolt locked open has a greater effect than barrel coating.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Some of the online guys doing tests have used these devices to speed up cooling.

Basically lock the bolt back and stick this in to circulate air through the barrel, cooling it faster.

https://www.chamberchiller.com/

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I appreciate the feedback. At this point, I'm just considering whether I'm spray painting the next barrel or doing a specialized coating, like Cerakote.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    What kind of base barrel finish are you having rust problems with?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    What kind of base barrel finish are you having rust problems with?
    No specific problems en masse, but it's one less maintenance point. I take rifles in and out during cold weather, and condensation forms regardless. I will probably build a rifle from my BRT SPR barrel soon, and the barrel is unfinished. I usually don't paint ionbond or nitride type finishes.
    Given the subzero temps, condensation can become an issue on any rifle I use, and I don't like keeping the outside of the barrel dripping wet. I was thinking of Cerakote this time around. I was at a training event and one of the guys who works for Cerakote mentioned a line of product made for shedding heat.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Something to keep in mind, any coating designed for "shedding heat" will likely have higher emissivity than bare metal in the infrared spectrum. It may be more visible to NVGs like reflective paint.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Some of the online guys doing tests have used these devices to speed up cooling.

Basically lock the bolt back and stick this in to circulate air through the barrel, cooling it faster.

https://www.chamberchiller.com/
    I have now seen it all!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast