Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Preparation for a 2000 Mile Thru-Hike?

Feedback Score
    I assume he has hiked, camped, navigated before.

As a thru hiker think about the things he can not bring.

Think about replacement/gear refresh locations/drops. Another through hiker told me they started out with heavy boots, them moved to cross trainers, and finished wearing sandals.

Additionally, you can not buy everything at the start. I have been told that the feet will grow along the way. The body fat will shrink (waist line). Even some people say their food tastes changed.
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Feedback Score
    Weight is a stopper on a trip like this, but going ultra light can be a killer.

It is all about risk awareness and risk mitigation.

Or maybe I should put it this way, don't be stupid and be too ultralight. I think it was last year when a thru hiker died from exposure.
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Feedback Score
    Water
    I ended up getting a free ride in an ambulance last year because of dehydration.

Here is what I recommend.
    1. Water purifier is a key item. Yes, you can use tablets, but in the end everyone recomends the water purafier and a few tablets in the emergency pocket for when the filter will die (and it will die before the end of a 2K trip).

2.When you encounter water. Fill up yourself and then fill up your containers. By fill up yourself, I mean force yourself to drink. This will help you make it from water hole to water hole.

3. Get a Camel back style drinking setup. Many companies make them. My favorite at the moment is Black hawk, but I don't think brand matters. Get one and use it. People will drink more if they don't have to stop to get water out of the pack.

4. Get a water bottle. The camel back is great for water, but water from a bottle is easier to cook with and if you want to make something like gator aid, doing it in the camel back is not good for a long trip.

Feedback Score
    Tent, Hammock, tarp and drop cloth.

I don't like bugs so the tarp/drop cloth are out.

I think I will start out with a tent for the cold season and then move to a hammock as the weather gets warmer.

Feedback Score
    Ham radio. If he thinks he needs to have a ham radio, look at he VX-8R with APRS GPS. Then remove resister and jail break it so you can transmit on more freqs.

Program the radio for all the APRS, GPRS, FRS, CB....channels.

I don't think having a ham radio necessary. I think it is heavy. I don't think you will find someone every where all the time.

If he is a person who needs human interaction every day, ham may do it.

Side note the VX-8R also does AM and FM so if he needs a weather report...

Feedback Score

Watch

Think about getting a watch that has weather functions.

I know this sounds goofy, but ....it helps.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Both of you should register and get involved with the AT community. A great forum is
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/

A lot of the things suggested for SHTF and BOB really don't work well on a thru-hike.

It's also a learn and evolve as you go thing. Pre-mailing drops, mailing back gear as it warms and replacing hiking boots with hiking sandals and such. Buying as much calories as you can for the least amount of money...little debbie is a favorite.

2k+ miles really puts a new meaning to ounces is pounds and pounds is pain.
    Pepsi can stoves and heet vs a whisperlite intl. stove.
    scili-nylon shelter tarp vs a freestanding tent.
    Multi-tool vs Tom Brown Tracker knife.

Feedback Score
    I am looking at Ti pot to cook in while on the trail and then something heavier for base camp.

Feedback Score
    I grew up back packing all along the AT in MD, VA, PA, and NC. It was a great place to get into the outdoors. Haven't thru hiked it yet but I may before I'm done. I am currently working a detail along a 400+ mile stretch of the AT. It is a different trail then when I was a kid. In my experience the AT is both urban and rural enough to be problematic.
    Tell your son to BE CAREFUL. Make sure he is quick to be friendly but slow to trust people. Have a regular check-in schedule; make it reasonable and make damn sure he sticks to it! In my not so humble opinion if he interest and aptitude to defend himself bringing along something to help out would be a very good idea. An Asp Key defender and a decent hiking stick would be a start. It is sad but I've met way too many dirt bags on and around the trail to feel as comfortable on the AT as I once did. I carry my Sig in the backcountry for the two legged critters, not the four legged ones.

Any questions or more info please let me know. Best of luck to him. It should be a heck of an adventure!

Feedback Score
    So, did your son end up making the hike?

If he did I'm sure many of us here would love to read about his experiences.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast