Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MATEN suggestions

Feedback Score

MATEN suggestions

I picked up an ambi MEGA MATEN matched upper and lower combo. I would like to build it into a solid 300 meter accurate and heavy hitter. Need some help/suggestions getting parts together. Namely what to select for:
    - BCG
    - barrel (either 16" or 18")
    - stock/buffer set up
    - BUIS (folders)
    - optic/mount
    - rail system
    Any assistance in what make of parts and why selected would be very welcome. Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I cannot give you much as mine is not built yet. But after a lot of back and forth I ultimately went with a rained arms select 16".

One thing I can tell you is to avoid the rebranded 7.62 industries NiB-x bcg that has been going around. 762 industries, black rain ordnance, Rainer arms, ( in rainer's defense they took care of the problem for me and changes the title of the product on thier website to something more appropriate) and few others carry it but, it all comes from the same company that dissappeared after pumping the market full of carriers with bearring surfaces like zippers, flaking finishes, tool marks, and other shotty workmanship.

There is a ton of info on all this over at TOS. Full mass carriers outside of dpms or armalite were the toughest part of the hunt for me. Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    I was looking at the Ranier Arms select barrels. I'm leaning more towards the 16" length as well. Thanks for the heads up on the (762 Ind, Black Rain Ord, and Rainer) BCGs. That's disappointing to hear. ANy suggestions on legit BCGs? I was considering an SR25 BCG but they are hard to come by and Knight's $$$$$. I love their stuff and have a bunch but damn, they are proud of their stuff.... I will have to suck it up and go back to reading on TOS I guess.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Please do. The AR variant section of TOS can be very informative.... At least for .308 compliant and maten build info. For a bcg .... After I returned my 7.62 industries bcg to Rainer I saw a thread in the forementioned section regarding a shadow ops NiB-x bcg. The op of the thread posted pics. The bearing surfaces looks smooth and clean as well as the finish and machining. The OP was pleased so I jumped on one but have yet to receive it so I can verify nothing. Weather or not shadow ops grabbed a ton of dumped 762 industries bcg's and cleaned them up OR if it is their original components is a mystery to me. Like I said... The bcg was the toughest company selection for me. Everything else was easy. I had no idea KAC sells 308 bcg's seperate of riffles..... Would they be dpms or armalite ar10? Sorry don't know my KAC very well.....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The MaTen was a lesson for me. Handguard selection and the bolt... especially the rebranded 7.62 Ind bolts were frustrating. I ended up buying a stripped DPMS bolt carrier and cam pin, a gas key, and bought a JP bolt. The bolt just arrived this morning so I can't tell you how it turned out yet. We shall see.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kenndapp View Post
    Please do. The AR variant section of TOS can be very informative.... At least for .308 compliant and maten build info. For a bcg .... After I returned my 7.62 industries bcg to Rainer I saw a thread in the forementioned section regarding a shadow ops NiB-x bcg. The op of the thread posted pics. The bearing surfaces looks smooth and clean as well as the finish and machining. The OP was pleased so I jumped on one but have yet to receive it so I can verify nothing. Weather or not shadow ops grabbed a ton of dumped 762 industries bcg's and cleaned them up OR if it is their original components is a mystery to me. Like I said... The bcg was the toughest company selection for me. Everything else was easy. I had no idea KAC sells 308 bcg's seperate of riffles..... Would they be dpms or armalite ar10? Sorry don't know my KAC very well.....
    I have a couple of the Shadow Ops bcg's. They look great. BUT, I haven't gotten my assembly together to know how they headspace. Bought a Fulton chrome-lined criterion barrel for my first one.
    Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I know WMD Guns is now selling a .308 Nib-X BCG as is RCA (Rubber City Armory). Jury is still out as I have not seen any long-term feedback on either of them.
    Last edited by nickdrak; 10-22-13 at 16:53.
    "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." Jim Morrison

"Fortuitous outcomes reinforce poor training and tactics"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I noticed that "outside of Armalite" was one of the criteria named. Sorry if I'm ignorant, but what disqualifies Armalite?
    Last edited by T-Dot; 10-25-13 at 15:21.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peshawar View Post
    I have a couple of the Shadow Ops bcg's. They look great. BUT, I haven't gotten my assembly together to know how they headspace. Bought a Fulton chrome-lined criterion barrel for my first one.
    I know shadow ops does shipping in batches so it may be a bit of a wait. But I must have ordered 3 weeks ago and still no shipping email notice and I can't get them to answer an email to save my life. Was this your experiance as well?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dot View Post
    I noticed that "outside of Armalite" one of the criteria named. Sort of I'm ignorant, but what disqualifies Armalite?
    For most it is magazine compatibility. More SR25/DPMS pattern magazine options nowadays than the AR10 specific mags.
    "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." Jim Morrison

"Fortuitous outcomes reinforce poor training and tactics"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast