Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to Pick a Mid Length (or rifle)

Feedback Score

Trying to Pick a Mid Length (or rifle)

Okay, so I've been fighting it, but now but I can't fight it any longer. I want to go to a mid or rifle length gas system. I never thought much about this much until the Crane test put forth hard evidence that mid length does indeed increase reliability and longevity significantly. This is for my "go-to" rifle (home defense, carbine courses, and general use). It will be shot a lot.

I currently have a Colt 6920, but am going to either:

-Sell the 6920 to get a mid length (considering Noveske Light RECCE Basic or DDM4v5)

-Keep the Colt and get the URGI (nearly) clone Upper to slap on the 6920 Lower: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...12-216104.aspx

-Find an 18" rifle gas system upper or complete rifle that would fill the home defense/general use role nicely (too long?)

-Something else that I haven't thought of that would fulfill this role the best.

The URGI "clone" hasn't been out for very long so I haven't heard of many experiences with it, but besides the handguard it seems to be just a regular (though high quality) CHF barreled mid-length 14.5" upper.

Most of the 18" rifles seem to be more geared towards 3 gun competition and are a bit too "racey" for my tastes (at least from DD), but maybe it's because I don't care for the Daniel Defense furniture, which could be easily remedied.

The complete URGI upper is around the same price point as a Noveske Basic middy complete rifle. Is there some sort of advantage of the URGI over the Noveske Basic other than the handguard that's seemingly impossible to get otherwise? The MK 16 M-LOK handguard doesn't do much for me and I like my ARs all black, but it does seem nice.

I'm considering all this primarily because I want the most reliable and long-service-life AR I can get. I know there's nothing wrong with the Colt 6920, but I'm coming to accept that I can't be satisfied when there's something "better". I bought the 6920 a couple of years ago because I was convinced there wasn't anything out there more reliable with more longevity.

Thoughts and recommendations? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Shoot the 6920 as is until you wear the barrel out. When you replace the barrel, use a mid length one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If all you want is a mid-length gas system, Colt has one in the 6960 and Brownells sells the upper for a decent price. Swap it onto your 6920 and done.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod120469.aspx

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If all you want is a mid-length gas system, Colt has one in the 6960 and Brownells sells the upper for a decent price. Swap it onto your 6920 and done.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod120469.aspx

Feedback Score
    OP, if you’re looking to spend some money and can’t decide between mid length and rifle length you can split the difference with a Knight’s Armament Co. SR-15 upper. They use an intermediate length gas system, the barrel is also cold hammer forged, and chrome lined. Other improvements include a revised bolt design that is extremely durable, and runs an improved extractor. The uppers ship with an excellent BUIS as well, so consider that when looking at cost.

Of course you can also buy a complete carbine from them and enjoy the fully ambidextrous lower, and good two stage match trigger for not a whole lot more money than the upper alone.

Feedback Score
    I've thought about that, but:
    -I'm not sure if I would want a lightweight barrel (would it last as long as a gov't profile?)
    -Is there some advantage in quality, reliability, or longevity with a Daniel Defense/Noveske/URGI clone over the Colt?
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 08-09-18 at 12:27.

Feedback Score
    EDIT: I accidentally double posted
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 08-09-18 at 12:26.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Keep the colt, but replace the barrel with a middy of your choosing (lots of good options out there) and add a 13.5 or 15 inch rail system and call it a day. You could get that done for $500-$600 and have some left for accessories like light/trigger/optic etc. No need to replace the upper or BCG of the colt.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    I've thought about that, but:
    -I'm not sure if I would want a lightweight barrel (would it last as long as a gov't profile?)
    -Is there some advantage in quality, reliability, or longevity with a Daniel Defense/Noveske/URGI clone over the Colt?
    Lightweight barrels last just as long as any other barrel, they just have different properties. They heat up quicker (and cool quicker) and while hot tend to open up groups a bit.

As far as longevity over DD or Noveske, the Colt barrel should be pretty much the same as the DD. The Noveske may outlast both given the double thickness of chrome lining in it. But this all depends on how you use it.

Do you plan on using a suppressor with this rifle? If not, take a hard look at BCM ELW profile barrels.
    Last edited by Wolfpack45; 08-09-18 at 13:41.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Board is being screwy, I only hit post once and it double tapped.
    Last edited by Wolfpack45; 08-09-18 at 13:38.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast