Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Red Dot Vs Scope?

Feedback Score
    I've strongly been considering a MK 6, I really like the CMR-W reticle after seeing it in the D-EVO.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    I've strongly been considering a MK 6, I really like the CMR-W reticle after seeing it in the D-EVO.
    His worked really well. He had the CMR-W, IIRC. I personally went with the K16i for the superior image quality and illumination. However, it's not as good of a distance reticle as the CMR-W. Then again, I expect 98% of my use to be 0-200 yards, and the other 2% will likely just be "for fun".

Feedback Score
    On low power optics I'll take a useful and versatile reticle as long as optical quality is still good. All the Leupold glass I've ever used has been good to very good for image quality so that shouldn't be an issue. My biggest gripe with most LPV's and fixed power optics like the ACOG are the lack of wind holds on the BDC's. That was a big gripe I had with the ACOG, the BDC would get you on well for distance but if the wind was blowing you are left with Kentucky windage.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    On low power optics I'll take a useful and versatile reticle as long as optical quality is still good. All the Leupold glass I've ever used has been good to very good for image quality so that shouldn't be an issue. My biggest gripe with most LPV's and fixed power optics like the ACOG are the lack of wind holds on the BDC's. That was a big gripe I had with the ACOG, the BDC would get you on well for distance but if the wind was blowing you are left with Kentucky windage.
    Yep, wind holds are nice. I personally just don't have much application for them. YMMV, and based on what you're saying, the CMR-W is nice for you.

Feedback Score
    Winds are tricky man, you may be shooting at a target at 500 yds and the wind there is a little different from the wind you're at, sometimes you have to roll with it and kentucky windage it. I've seen TA31H-G's with side stadia lines for either moving targets or wind I can't remember which but if you have all these bdc and wind holds your view would be so filled up with different marks it would be too much to process.

Feedback Score
    I don't have an issue with the wind holds on the stadia lines, or dots off the stadia lines. I use a Swarovski Z3 3-10X42 that has their BRX reticle, and it gives wind hold references, it's not so much that the wind hold has to be perfect since increments of 5 mph are just that: increments; it's having a reference point so you have to guess a bit less.

I don't find the wind holds on the Swarovski to be too busy, and don't see it as an issue on the CMR-W reticle from Leupold either.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The Vortex Razor 1-6x is plenty fast and bright compared to an Aimpoint red dot. I have no issues with the Razor for close range.

The issue at close range is WEIGHT. The Razor is heavy. Possibly less durable than an Aimpoint due to fewer parts, but I can't really say.

Outdoors, lower light/target in shade, IDing what you're looking at, precision work… the magnified optic has the advantage.

You need to mount/borrow a variable and use it in multiple situations to determine what will truly work for you. Otherwise, it's all theoretical.

Definitely try it though.
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 03-31-16 at 11:29.

Feedback Score
    Don't know anyone that has one, so I get to learn by doing at my own expense.

Feedback Score
    The TA33 is a better all around optic than any 1-4x
    Until you get into the $1200 range, there is no LPV that is going to outshine a TA33.

So Red dot - TA33 - Vortex Razor or above.

As I get older, I see less utility with the red dot and more versatility with a TA33 GH. Not much slower up close but a world of difference for actually being able to see the targets you want to hit. I cannot resolve a IPSC target at 600 yards without perfect atmospheric conditions, and then its just a dot/blob. You can't hit what you can't see.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    Winds are tricky man, you may be shooting at a target at 500 yds and the wind there is a little different from the wind you're at, sometimes you have to roll with it and kentucky windage it. I've seen TA31H-G's with side stadia lines for either moving targets or wind I can't remember which but if you have all these bdc and wind holds your view would be so filled up with different marks it would be too much to process.
    The side stadia lines on the TA31 is called the "Target Reference System" and is like 50 MOA. It's for calling out targets ("hey, see the big yellow truck at about 12, 500m? The left dot from that."), not for actually shooting.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast