Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobil One As a Lube But What Weight?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I used whatever is leftover after doing an oil change in my car, mixed with a splash of ATF to enhance the self cleaning/detergent properties. In my case, it is 5w20 Mobil 1. It works great and when applied it moderate quantities, does not make a huge mess.

When it comes to motor oil vs gun-specific oil... There is NO WAY that any of these gun oils have the degree of engineering or development behind them that something like Mobil 1 does. One could say that this doesn't apply since the environment encountered in a firearm is different than an engine, but engine conditions are arguably more extreme than firearms (temp, pressure, longevity, etc).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    So far it is 0w-20 by 3 to nothing. Thanks for the cooking and wardrobe tips.

0w-20 is what I use in my Toyota pickup so this might be easier than I thought.
    Sure, just save it and strain it through coffee filters after you change oil. Maybe take apart the oil filter and cut the media into rifle patches. Simplify, simplify.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirk208 View Post
    Are we talking about Fireclean?
    I’ve been wanting to try that new lube “I can’t belive it’s not Fireclean” the first tactically unsaturated low cholesterol gun lube.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    Is this toxicity stuff documented somewhere?
    From the SDS for Mobil 1 0-20w
    HEALTH HAZARDS
    High-pressure injection under skin may cause serious damage. Excessive exposure may result in eye, skin,
    or respiratory irritation.

NFPA Hazard ID: Health: 0 Flammability: 1 Reactivity: 0
    HMIS Hazard ID: Health: 0 Flammability: 1 Reactivity: 0
    NOTE: This material should not be used for any other purpose than the intended use in Section 1 without expert
    advice. Health studies have shown that chemical exposure may cause potential human health risks which may vary.

* All concentrations are percent by weight unless material is a gas. Gas concentrations are in percent by volume.
    The full SDS pdf file can be downloaded from here- https://www.exxonmobil.com/Passenger...0/1142/msds-US

I suggest reading to make up your own mind. It has the list of chemicals in Mobil 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    "Oooo that SMELL- cant'cha smell that SMELL"!
    I see yet ANOTHER lube thread coming- Ill just say motor oil stinks, sprays all over face & glasses, and for ME would be the last thing Id use as a lube.
    This, along with the fact I don't like what Mobil 1 (or any other motor oil) does to my skin, is precisely why I don't use it on my firearms.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    A mechanic once said, any oil is better than no oil. If you want nontoxic use Pam or Crisco cooking spray.
    Cooking oil is horrible. It degrades due to heat and begins to solidify after use and time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    From the SDS for Mobil 1 0-20w

The full SDS pdf file can be downloaded from here- https://www.exxonmobil.com/Passenger...0/1142/msds-US

I suggest reading to make up your own mind. It has the list of chemicals in Mobil 1.

This, along with the fact I don't like what Mobil 1 (or any other motor oil) does to my skin, is precisely why I don't use it on my firearms.
    You only quoted the bottom of that section. The beginning says this:

This material is not hazardous according to regulatory guidelines (see (M)SDS Section 15).
    Other hazard information:
    HAZARD NOT OTHERWISE CLASSIFIED (HNOC): None as defined under 29 CFR 1910.1200. PHYSICAL / CHEMICAL HAZARDS
    No significant hazards.
    HEALTH HAZARDS
    High-pressure injection under skin may cause serious damage. or respiratory irritation.
    ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS
    No significant hazards.

I’m as worried about cancer as anyone. I even had a low grade tumor removed from my bladder last year. But I’m not sure “high pressure injection” is relevant to our purpose and use. It also has a Heath hazard rating of zero. I would imagine a “ high pressure injection” of Barastol would probably require a emergency room visit and follow up.
    Last edited by OldState; 01-11-19 at 13:17.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Well, you don't need 6 quarts to do an oil change on your AR, so there is that.
    Old men need something to obsess about when they fondle guns they never shoot anymore.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I used mobile 1 briefly. Never stayed where I needed it. (like every other conventional metal lubricant)

With Froglube, we only add some every so often. It stays put. I could never go back to CLPs, oils, etc.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Sure, just save it and strain it through coffee filters after you change oil. Maybe take apart the oil filter and cut the media into rifle patches. Simplify, simplify.
    LMAO-LOL Good one there 26 Inf....

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirk208 View Post
    Some guy on "Bob is the Oil Guy" (oil/lube forum for science nerds) concluded that the 20W50 V-Twin Motorcycle variety was the best and hit various performance specs he outlined with science and stuff. I can never find the original thread though.
    Some years ago before Harley Davidson came out with their brand of synthetic oil I was at an open house tour of their test facility in Talladega, AL. In the shop store room I noticed row apron row of Mobil 1 bottles on the shelves but no H-D branded oil.
    I asked about the Mobil 1 and was told it was for their trucks and cars, yea right. Shortly after they came out with Harley branded synthetic oil.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast