Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Getting Started Shooting at 1000 Yards

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's more wind than we usually see. A 500 that wind makes it easy to just miss off the edge of a target.
    Yep. Missed that way a few more times than I’d have liked. Bracketing the target ended up working pretty well. I.e. holding poi towards the right edge for a 3 o’clock wind.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No shooting this past weekend. Mom dropped by for a visit and the wife gave me the stink eye every time my gaze wandered towards the range bag.

All the years I've owned the 40x, I've always thought it had a 24 inch barrel. I laid my 2 foot scale against the barrel last night and the barrel was a good 2 or 3 inches longer! No wonder it barely fits any of my gun cases.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-01-18 at 04:53.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If reloading, I would take a serious look at the Berger 185's, sling them hard with PP2000MR. They are thumpers and do well in the wind.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Mistwolf, the rig you have (with the 20 MOA Nightforce rail you're waiting on) will be a very, very competitive rifle for 1,000-yard shooting if you're aiming at NRA/GI targets or GI E-type silhouettes.

Your M1-10X with quarters will get you on-target with no problems. Higher magnfication in the afternoons would/may give you some mirage issues. I find the Nightforce 5-22 NXS a good compromise between performance and cost. The Leupold will work until it doesn't.

I prefer an angle-head spotting scope. I spot and assess winds through the spotter before going to the rifle scope. Spotting scopes tend to have a wider field-of-view. 25X is a good compromise over a 25-60 as the field-of-view really narrows and you have to crowd the eyepiece.

42 of IMR 4064, or 42 to 44 of Varget will push a 175 Sierra past 1,000 without smacking you silly (especially from a 24 to 26-inch barrel).

I prefer a bag over a bipod for long-range precision, with a bag under the toe of the buttstock. A bipod if I'm walking around or stalking little or big game, or stinky hostile people.

Are you shooting at Bendover or Price? I didn't know there were other 1,000-yard ranges in Utah. Occasionally they shoot 600s at Centerville.

I have a couple of buds in SLC and West Valley who shoot long-range occasionally. I can get you in contact if you'd like.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The range is Three Mile Creek near Perry.

I can always use another shooting buddy.

I am American

Feedback Score
    Another consideration, you may be able to send your Leupold into their custom shop for M5 0.1 mil per click conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I should contact Leupold & find out.

I am American

Feedback Score

Getting Started Shooting at 1000 Yards

I’ve got a 10x I’m going to call them about soon. I sent a 4.5-14x last year and they still did at that time.

I’ve for more scopes than I can keep up with. I have gotta start getting rid of some scopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I started off the longer range game with a 350 dollar remington 30-06 with a Bushnell elite 3200 scope with a SFP multi-x reticle. I quickly found a mil dot reticle optic but it was still SFP. I shot that for a long wile before upgrading to anything else. Shot for months at 600 before really going farther. Just learning what my rifle did and how wind affected my shots. A chrono and a good ballistic app really do a lot for you. Practice at 600 really, really helped me make hits at 8-1k and beyond. Or practice at 300-400 helped me make hits at 6. I think just time behind the gun, and not just throwing rounds at 1k for the sake of it, will benefit you greatly. I almost always shoot steel for instant feedback. Working my way up in distance keeps me from getting frustrated too. Just trying to go right to distance you can be sending 10 rounds down range without a hit and that gets old fast. Getting some hits at 3,5,7, etc first can really help. Then you will get the confidence to send one at 1k with good data and make first round hits. You will see how much you learn just getting time behind the rifle... Way more then any book or tool can tell you.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This... for sure. We'll get shooters out at our spot who are friends of friends... or kids who are related to the property manager in charge of the land on which we shoot. We can get someone (with more than 2 brain cells) spanking the 500 yard target pretty quickly with our guns/ammo. It's a quick and dirty qualification. If we get a kid who listens, he/she can shoot $20 worth of our ammo and walk out to a thousand, and we're thrilled to let he or she shoot. If we get a booger brains kid, we're passing him the sub gun for 25 yard steel banging and saying "thanks for stopping by".
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast