Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Army looking at a new 6.8mm round?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inix View Post
    Another interesting article,

"The U.S. Army's chief of staff said Monday that its 6.8mm... "It will fire at speeds that far exceed the velocity of bullets today, and it will penetrate any existing or known ... body armor that's out there," Gen. Mark Milley"

https://www.military.com/kitup/2018/...d-weapons.html
    Gotta love it... "Fire at speeds that far exceed the velocity of bullets today".

Yet it's 6.8mm, so 90-130 grains is about as light as you can go and still have decent downrange perf. And has to beat armor.

Sounds like 270 performance, which would be great ballistically.

But also from the PR statements, both the ammo and carbine/mg have to have same weight or less for the same combat load out.

So the new cartridge approach (case telescoped or whatever) has a pretty big order to fill.

And then you get to talk about recoil impulse, which is probably going to be double current platforms, at least for the carbines. So add that to the list of magic technology breakthroughs that will be needed.

It will be interesting to see how close the manufacturers can get do this performance profile, and I truly hope there are some technology breakthroughs. But this feels like more jetpack and hover car experiments than a procurement that will lead to actual usage in our lifetime.

I hope I'm wrong!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inix View Post
    Another interesting article,

"The U.S. Army's chief of staff said Monday that its 6.8mm... "It will fire at speeds that far exceed the velocity of bullets today, and it will penetrate any existing or known ... body armor that's out there," Gen. Mark Milley"

https://www.military.com/kitup/2018/...d-weapons.html
    That is a pretty stupid statement right there, so faster than a .22-250? And since there is now body armor that will stop .50 cal that's going to be a heck of a round.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    I agree with you pinzgauer. It sounds like 270 like performance, but to me it also seems like something isn't adding up. 270 with a 90 grain out of a 15" is going maybe 3100fps, that doesn't seem like "far exceed" to me. Can't get around physics, recoil would have to come into play with the speeds they are portraying given the bullet weights of a 6.8. It will be interesting, hopefully it isn't vaporware.

Feedback Score
    That Knights gun is one that came first to mind.

On the round, Can you direct inject fuel behind a bullet and get enough energy (and pressure) to get a bullet moving fast enough? Cars engines have made a lot or progress on direct injection. I thought a few years ago that the new Paladin was looking at direct injection? Unless you are looking at electrical charge or liquid propellant, I don't see what else would fundamentally change the brass-case/primer/gunpowder model.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Color me skeptical. With existing cartridges, 6.8mm weighs more, has less capacity per In3 of box magazine, and has more recoil, if only slightly. With SPC, in most (all?) commercial loads that currently exist, we get similar velocity with a lower BC, or similar BC with less velocity compared to 5.56. Perhaps the tech thats been talked about for decades without fruition will solve some of this.

I’ll be interested to see @Constructor continue to post in this thread. I genuinely want to be proven wrong, but I’m happy with M855a1 at this time.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Plates rated to stop .50BMG worn by members of Infantry? No. For Helicopter pilots yes but ESAPI is the extent for infantry.

As for the projectile the Military has a design and material composition in mind, it will be up to the competitors to take that info and create a cartridge to deliver the desired penetration range, with reliable feeding from both proprietary magazines and belt links for both the individual rifle and the squad automatics. From there they can develop the weapons without the bs of having to shoehorn into the M4 or the SAW.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The military will be providing the projectile, proposal calls for delivery for 50 NGAR and 50 NGR and 850,000 rounds of ammo with mags, drums, links whatever is needed. So basically "here's a bunch of bullets, go develop a cartridge that can defeat any armor vest at X00 meters and build a Auto Rifle and Rifle to shoot it". I have seen a drawing of what is supposed to be the XM1168 projo that looks like a scaled up M855A1 but I am not sure if it is legit. But it does kind of make sense that it will be based on the 855A1 design.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 10-12-18 at 19:12.

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    SSA developed a 97gr AP bullet in a 6.8spc early in 2008 that will defeat L IV armor at 100 yds. Some of the remarks made sound like BS though unless they stuff that same 97gr in a 277 USA(Based on Murrays 7mmUIAC) Roughly 43gr powder capacity and would propel that 97gr to around 3100 out of a 16" barrel. That cartridge would need an OAL of 2.6" meaning a complete new rifle and mags.

Feedback Score
    NATO cool with this?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    NATO cool with this?
    Like Trump cares.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast