Thread: What is a good, basic magazine pouch?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

What is a good, basic magazine pouch?

Taking my first carbine course soon. I am looking for a good quality, basic magazine pouch that can hold 2-3 mags. No chest rigs or anything like that. I would prefer something simple that I can put on my belt.

right now, I am looking at the Blade-tech double rifle mag pouch with Tek-lok
    Last edited by GrandPooba; 05-23-11 at 09:05.

Feedback Score
    You should look at the HSGI Taco for the following reasons:

1) Mag versatility. You stick just about any kind of mag in there. Other stuff too.

2) Mounting versatility. You can stick it on any MOLLE equipped whatever. Or you can thread it onto a belt. I use mine with the Tactical Tailor Malice Clip Belt Adapter which makes for a very positive hold on a regular duty belt.

Two of these on your belt plus another mag in your back pocket should get you through most carbine courses no matter what rifle you are using. It's an inexpensive and effective solution to most of a civvie shooter's needs.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'll save you one headache right now: Don't attach a 2-3 rifle mag pouch to your pants belt. I have watched all manner of people try to make a go of this in all manner of configurations and every single one of them is entirely unsat. I have seen some that can make it less unsat than others, but it is totally counter-productive in all cases that I HAVE SEEN (in caps there because sure as shit someone will come along and tell me that they've done it successfully for years and bully for them).

The most I have attached to a pants belt is two rifle magazines in kydex pouches from Ready Tactical. SIZE THEM TO FIT YOUR BELT, either 1.5" or 1.75", and you'll be good to go.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a chest rig to back-feed these pouches. "train as you fight" and "not looking tacticool" are admirable theories but they come second to not hindering yourself in training, and that comes second to not hindering the whole rest of the class. The majority of classes, however, will be fine with two carbine and one pistol mag on the belt, plus one in each gun.

I love the Taco, mentioned above, but as of now it's a MOLLE-only thing and it doesn't sound like you want to gt into a battle belt setup if you're unwilling to get into a chest rig.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I love the Taco, mentioned above, but as of now it's a MOLLE-only thing and it doesn't sound like you want to gt into a battle belt setup if you're unwilling to get into a chest rig.
    Rob:

With the TT belt adapter I linked to I have used Tacos on a regular leather belt with no problems - no battle belt required. It is a secure fit and was the best cheap solution I found for my particular set of circumstances.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriumphRat675 View Post
    Rob:

With the TT belt adapter I linked to I have used Tacos on a regular leather belt with no problems - no battle belt required. It is a secure fit and was the best cheap solution I found for my particular set of circumstances.
    Good to know. I suppose if I was looking for multi-platform usage on a larger-width belt I might give it a try, but for AR-only use the Ready Tactical is $2 cheaper by itself, and obviously cheaper still when you add in the adapter, and it can be sized to the belt you're using instead of the large loop that the adapter has because it's intended for duty belt use.

Feedback Score
    Another way top go is to buy a pistol belt (I mean the wide military kind that used to attach to suspenders). You can hang ALICE pouches or MOLLE pouches off of it. To use MOLLE pouches, remember that the pistol belt is 2.5" wide, so you skip the first three rows of PALS loops, run the MOLLE strap/MALICE clip/Tac-Tie under the next one or two, then fasten. For MOLLE pouches, it's nice to thread paracord back and forth through the eyelets on the belt to act as belt keepers.

You can get surplus MOLLE Rifle mag pouches for $5 or so each (they hold 2 mags), a Pistol belt for around $10, then add a dump pouch for retained mags, and however many pistol mag pouches you need, and you have a setup that's ready to go, and as quick and easy to get on as wrapping it around your waist and closing the side release bucked in front.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    zulu tactical (joel zaruba) has a REALLY interesting new design out. instead of pulling the velcro flap up, reaching under and pulling your mag out.... you pull the flap down and away. pretty cool stuff.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Safariland makes a hard shell single mag pouch. The belt loop is sized to go on a duty belt, but it comes with a screw in shim that lets you tighten it down to fit a normal belt. Holds mags in either direction, works quiet well for $25.

-Jenrick

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    +1 for HSGI Tacos. Expensive pouches, but the utmost in versatility.

You dont even need the belt adapter, although its cheap and a good idea. MALICE clips will retain the pouch to your belt effectively, but even short MALICE clips will probably be fairly loosely attatched to the belt, (depending on belt height), and you dont want your shit flopping around at a carbine class. But they will work if need be.