Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Good shtf Book Suggestions

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blstr88 View Post

I just finished (a few hours ago), a book called "Earth Abides". It might be my favorite "SHTF" book Ive ever read. Really there is no useful information in it, but its just a great interesting read. It's a great read and really makes you think, I'd highly suggest it!
    I forgot about this one, a great read from back in the day!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogljb View Post
    so far im half way one second after and its a great read a little bit sad at certin parts but every one really needs to read the book
    You aint seen sad yet. The book really makes you think.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    after having read all of 50 pages of 'the patriot', i now see what everyone is talking about. i first read 'how to survive TEOTWAWKI', so i see many of his references. patriots reads like it was written by a rambo-wannabe 15 year old.

rawles is obviously a 1911/dodge fanboi, as ive lost count of how many 'gold cup' and 'power wagon' references there have been. there also seems to be many, many date/time errors. in one sentence, someone is in college during 2006, yet in 2001 he's married and scouting his retreat location.

im also getting sick of the numerous 'thanking god for this.......god created this.......lets drop to our knees right now and pray.'

with the pages so big, type so small, and so many leaves yet to turn, im not even sure im going to make it through the entire book. both of the 'day by day' books were WAY more enjoyable to read, and i daresay had more usable information in them.

rawles's entire philosophy centers around leaving everything/everyone and buying/living at a survival retreat immediately. IF one is capable of working from home, that might be a slightly possible option. but for those of us who actually work for a living.......am i supposed to email a welded joint to the job? teleconference some soldering?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Keep reading it. Completing the book is rumored to be the next addition to the rules of keeping your man card.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "unintended consequences". the first half is actual non fiction

"enemies foreign and domestic"

"patriots" isnt bad.

if you can find it there is a book called "lights out" by halffast
    it was pulled from most sites because it is being shopped around for a movie or mini series.

but a few people saved it to there computer. If you ask around you can probable find it.

"day by day armegeddon" is a decent book about zombies.

and the follow up book is "beyond exhile"

i have alot of books about soldiers in war that are really good reading material. If your interested pm me.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

- I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky241 View Post

if you can find it there is a book called "lights out" by halffast
    it was pulled from most sites because it is being shopped around for a movie or mini series.

but a few people saved it to there computer. If you ask around you can probable find it.
    I have saved a copy so if anyone would like it, I can e-mail it.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I forced down the first few chapters of Patriots, but the writing was just too flat for me. Even all his detailed gear descriptions were too much at some point and got in the way of the story. I flipped through and read areas that were interesting to me (barter, Templar), but the overall story and UN stuff was not interesting at all.

My favorite TSHTF book is still War Day, written by two writers who write about their life and travels around the USA after a limited nuclear exchange with Russia in the 1980's. Lots of interesting scenarios and thought provoking details. Not a complete collapse and shoot-em-up but much more interesting from a human and societal perspective. I don't know what it is, but TSHTF shoot-out scenarios just aren't as exciting for me as cop/war stories. Maybe there's just too much desperation for it to be entertaining.

http://www.amazon.com/War-Whitley-Ku...7421743&sr=8-2

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 10-18-10 at 12:20.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I read "Patriots" about ten years ago and I enjoyed it, but I lent it to somebody and had to buy an updated one. It seamed that as his blog became more popular he felt he needed to update it (the book.) Unfortunately it felt like he did it in a couple of hours and never proof-read it. I thought the original was better.

eta. I'm 200 pages into "One Second After" and am thoroughly enjoying it, thank you guys.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ive gone around 150 pages into patriots......and again i have to say this book is complete garbage. most of the downfall was i read his TEOTWAWKI book first.......now patriots reads like he simply smashed together a survival handbook and a 5th graders 'what i did over summer vacation' essay.

the constant religious references are making me sick, and isnt it amazing that the only people 'the group' has met that werent jesus freaks turned out to be cannibal looters??

the characters in this book are making me sick. especially the bible thumping dictator todd, aka rawles himeself. if anyone is considering buying it, save your money. all its good for is tinder during a survival exercise. read the TEOTWAWKI manual instead. its the same damn thing, minus the dime store novel backdrop.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I didn't make it far enough into Patriots to see any of the facism (not surprised though)... Seriously doubting I will (man card be damned). But I did think One second After had some strong leanings of that nature. It seems some of these books are nothing more than dictatorial wet dreams... Of course they rule righteously (*cough* and with an iron fist *cough*).

BTW- Gunslinger/Dark Tower books (some what/loosely related to the topic).

I'm thinking of taking back my recommendation...

I had mixed feelings on book #2... I recently started book #3 and so far, not good IMO. I haven't given up yet but I'm considering it. If book #3 doesn't really pick back up I'll probably ditch the series. They're a little too "out there" for my taste.
    Last edited by Jerm; 10-18-10 at 22:52.

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast