Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: What cans are we using on SBRs and AR pistols?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    That’s what she said.
    More like what he said, she likely does not agree.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I’d almost wonder if the 5.56 conversion in the SOCOM Rattler is specifically for training/sims and nothing more..
    Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieThom View Post
    I’d almost wonder if the 5.56 conversion in the SOCOM Rattler is specifically for training/sims and nothing more..
    A good point, but I tend to doubt it myself. You can find 5.56 all over the planet. 300, no, it's a niche rnd and you rarely go to war with gun using a niche rnd so the option of either makes very obvious sense to me. I could be wrong and it's as you say.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    A good point, but I tend to doubt it myself. You can find 5.56 all over the planet. 300, no, it's a niche rnd and you rarely go to war with gun using a niche rnd so the option of either makes very obvious sense to me. I could be wrong and it's as you say.
    If anyone gets to go to war with whatever they want, it’s SOCOM (more JSOC but still).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Lol! Touché.

More like what he said, she likely does not agree.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    If anyone gets to go to war with whatever they want, it’s SOCOM (more JSOC but still).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Want vs pragmatic considerations are two different things, hence the options of both. That's my guess and I personally doubt it's simply training related. Your mileage may differ.

I have seen the chrono data from 5" and 7.5" AR PDW, and the numbers, at least from the guns used for the chrono, were essentially the same. Both were above 2400fps for a 55g projectile. That's more than viable in the PDW role, which I have no doubt SOCOM concluded same, and again margin superior to any pistol, PCC, or dedicated PDWs in mouse rnds like 5.7.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 07-02-22 at 08:59.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Short barrel AR/AR style guns are a thing (even 5"...) , a thing that will stay because they have a role to play, even in 5.56. The author posits some of the potential downsides of that too, but I suspect SOCOM well aware of the negatives, and concluded the juice well worth the squeeze and could have supplied the meat eaters with anything they'd want to.
    Yes, primarily with 11.5” and 14.5” guns, with some 10.3” and 10.4” ones still about.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Yes, primarily with 11.5” and 14.5” guns, with some 10.3” and 10.4” ones still about.
    And now they will be 5" in the PDW role. Who woulda thunked it? SOCOM and me apparently. I kid
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    And now they will be 5" in the PDW role. Who woulda thunked it? SOCOM and me apparently. I kid
    Keep in mind, USSOCOM, or a similar umbrella bought MP7s, too. I was issued one (for PSD work), and thought it was gay.
    Last edited by 1168; 07-02-22 at 09:05. Reason: See parenthesis

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Keep in mind, USSOCOM, or a similar umbrella bought MP7s, too. I was issued one (for PSD work), and thought it was gay.
    I'd think still better than a pistol or PCC for it's limited intended role, and before short barreled ARs based guns where viable. Not sure if mentioned this in the thread, but back in the day (circa mid/early 90s I think), a buddy of mine was ret SF, had been the armorer for a time, and was then on the SWAT team. Some company, I forget brand, sent him an AR pistol to play with to see what his thoughts were etc. According to him various "nasty boys" as he called them were assessing the viability of such a gun. We went to the range with some others all excited about this crazy short AR.

Long and the short of it was, it was Jam O matic POS. It could hardly get through a mag without issues, regardless of the various loads used, his sitting at the table trying to troubleshoot and diagnose the issues etc, but it didn't work. When it did work, accuracy was terrible also I recall.

He sent it back with obvious opinion that while an interesting idea, not even close to ready for prime time

They are now ready for prime time (unless someone want to claim SOCOM does not know what thy are doing either...), with obvious drawbacks, and development of things like 300blk.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 07-02-22 at 09:42.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast