Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sudden failure to feed

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    Possibly another reason to use Spinco Blue or white springs. I'm surprised that a regular milspec spring gave up at 4k rounds. I typically heard 5-7k rounds and as much as 8-10k live. But this is a great data point.

Thanks @CHX77
    4000 is an estimate. I really don't keep track.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    That's completely normal. You probably just haven't noticed it before. If you're bound and determined to polish the feedramps, there's a very specific way to do it. I wouldn't mess with it, though, seeing as how it's not the underlying problem.
    I also considered the scratches normal, and you're right that I never noticed them before. I'm not planning to do anything to the feed ramps beyond normal cleaning. They look fine on close inspection. My plan was to change only one thing at a time and, thanks to the advice received here, the spring was all it needed.

Now I'm thinking about spares. Another buffer spring, BCG, LPK??? Open to suggestions.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    How long does the old spring measure?

Quote Originally Posted by CHX77 View Post
    The new spring is installed and it's chambering rounds 100% now while cycling by hand. I'll try to get out and fire it in the next couple days.

The increased tension of the new spring was evident on the first pull of the charging handle. It seems I've used this firearm enough to warrant stocking up on critical spares.

Thank you to all who assisted troubleshooting.
    A BCG and LPK would cover it, but is over kill and will likely sprout another complete carbine.

A "critical spares" kit is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CHX77 View Post
    Now I'm thinking about spares. Another buffer spring, BCG, LPK??? Open to suggestions.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    How long does the old spring measure?

A BCG and LPK would cover it, but is over kill and will likely sprout another complete carbine.

A "critical spares" kit is a good idea.
    The old spring is 10.75" long. The new spring is about 1/2" longer, but I didn't measure it before installing.

Perhaps the best critical spare would indeed be "another complete carbine" There's always room for one more, right?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Even though the rifle is really old, it's still covered by our lifetime warranty. If the new spring doesn't fix the issue, just contact our warranty department and we'll get it in here for inspection and repair.
    Joe Marler
    Law Enforcement Sales Manager

jmarler@danieldefense.com
    www.danieldefense.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Marler5811 View Post
    Even though the rifle is really old, it's still covered by our lifetime warranty. If the new spring doesn't fix the issue, just contact our warranty department and we'll get it in here for inspection and repair.
    Wow! That is customer service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Marler5811 View Post
    That's outstanding!!! Thank you.

Feedback Score
    I finally got out to test fire today and it performed perfectly. Full pressure loads, mild loads, and a couple in between, all fed and fired without a hiccup.

Thanks again everyone for the assistance, and a special thank you to Joe Marler from Danial Defense for reaching out and offering warranty coverage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123