Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: PRI Fat Boy gas tube?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    I seem to remember an equation about the Pressure Volume and Temperature relationships. That said the Fatboy MUST have some affect on the system.

Yes the port size is primary... I get that.
    Yes it has some effect, just not very much...
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    I seem to remember an equation about the Pressure Volume and Temperature relationships. That said the Fatboy MUST have some affect on the system.

Yes the port size is primary... I get that.
    The various gas laws (Boyle, Charles, Gay-Lussac) can tell you many things about what gases do.

However, in the gas tube in an AR, the metering effect of the port has much to do with the timing and pressure rise of the tube and its effect on the carrier. The ratio of the two has the port diameter causing larger changes in the system than that of the volume of the tube, until you get to absurd tube I.D.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I did use one of these once in concert with a H3 buffer, to tame down an overgassed Nessard carbine that I bought in the early 90's. It is a beater rifle.

It worked, It runs like a top and eats anything now. I have about 1500 rounds on it with this tube and even ran a LAV carbine class at Blackwater with it just to put it thru the grinder.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    I have never seen anyone post any valid evidence that DMPS barrels are over-gassed. If it is, then use an H2 buffer. If that is over-gassed, then use an H3 buffer. If that is over-gassed - then you can get another barrel or use an adjustable gas block. Colt ships an M4 that is below 950 rpm cyclic rate. Is the DPMS above that? Doubt it.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 02-14-13 at 17:58.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I have seen port measurements well above .063 which makes the. Overgassed. I have also seen numerous out of spec chambers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    I have never seen anyone post any valid evidence that DMPS barrels are over-gassed. If it is, then use an H2 buffer. If that is over-gassed, then use an H3 buffer. If that is over-gassed - then you can get another barrel or use an adjustable gas block. Colt ships an M4 that is below 950 rpm cyclic rate. Is the DPMS above that? Doubt it.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    So in other words.....you dress up a turd?
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    So in other words.....you dress up a turd?
    Are you saying that you prefer C and H buffers to H2 and H3 buffers? Why?

Feedback Score
    I have seen port measurements well above .063 which makes the. Overgassed. I have also seen numerous out of spec chambers as well.
    What was the cam path? What was the cyclic rate or the peak bolt carrier velocity?
    Last edited by rsilvers; 02-15-13 at 07:06.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Are you saying that you prefer C and H buffers to H2 and H3 buffers? Why?
    No, I run a H2 in my carbines. My point was instead of fixing an overgassed rifle, slapping in a heavier buffer is polishing a turd. No matter what you do its still a turd.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    DPMS must have adopted .300 USELESS... and now Silvers is their staunch defender!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast