Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Revolver Quality

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    Had it for a few months. About fifty rounds or so. (there is no counter attached for those technical people) Ammo was some older nickle cased 158grLRN that had been give to me some time ago. Liking it, but lower than I should be on .38s. Mine is the black version. So far doesn't show finger prints or any scratches. Goes in pocket when wearing shorts and in front pocket of cammies when out mowing the acreage.

As for those that need a better recommendation, go to your LGS and finger one a bit. You'll figure it out for your self. Everyone always does.
    Just as an FYI, most people with an extensive knowledge of firearms don't consider 50 rounds through a new weapon to be sufficient to call it "good." Even more so one from a manufacturer with the well deserved reputation that Taurus has. YMMV, but I would still be eyeing your gun with suspicion at this point.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    Had it for a few months. About fifty rounds or so. (there is no counter attached for those technical people) Ammo was some older nickle cased 158grLRN that had been give to me some time ago. Liking it, but lower than I should be on .38s. Mine is the black version. So far doesn't show finger prints or any scratches. Goes in pocket when wearing shorts and in front pocket of cammies when out mowing the acreage.

As for those that need a better recommendation, go to your LGS and finger one a bit. You'll figure it out for your self. Everyone always does.
    I appreciate you taking the time to provide some input. However, I don’t believe handling one at the LGS is going to provide me with the info I am seeking. Handling one at the LGS is what has prompted my inquiry. The 856 Defender is the configuration I’ve wanted S&W to produce for years. So, I am trying to get some real data on these guns to determine where the quality of Taurus review overs is these days.

I have had 3 LGS owners tell me that Taurus has improved a great deal in the last 10 years or so. They all said that if S&W is a 10 a Taurus would be about a 7. The difference being between the two is fit and finish they say. But, they all want to sell me a gun. Getting some real world data would be helpful.

You’re correct, they do not put counters on this model. I’ve yet to see a gun with a counter on it and it’s not a feature I’ve ever looked for in a firearm. I do however log my rounds fired with each of my guns. A simple notebook and pen is all that’s required—no gizmos required. I find this procedure useful as when I get to a certain round count I usually decide to retire that particular firearm from service. It’s an arbitrary number but it’s what I do. For example, I retire my air weight J-frame at 10K rounds. I have only done this 3 times in my life. The first J I had the frame cracked around 12K and it was getting a little loose. So, I just decided on 10K for my personal comfort level. For every shot fired there are many many dry fires. It’s all about comfort of mind in the durability and reliability of the firearm. To each his own I guess.

Thanks
    Last edited by MSH72; 06-23-22 at 08:18.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH72 View Post
    I appreciate you taking the time to provide some input. However, I don’t believe handling one at the LGS is going to provide me with the info I am seeking. Handling one at the LGS is what has prompted my inquiry. The 856 Defender is the configuration I’ve wanted S&W to produce for years. So, I am trying to get some real data on these guns to determine where the quality of Taurus review overs is these days.

I have had 3 LGS owners tell me that Taurus has improved a great deal in the last 10 years or so. They all said that if S&W is a 10 a Taurus would be about a 7. The difference being between the two is fit and finish they say. But, they all want to sell me a gun. Getting some real world data would be helpful.

You’re correct, they do not put counters on this model. I’ve yet to see a gun with a counter on it and it’s not a feature I’ve ever looked for in a firearm. I do however log my rounds fired with each of my guns. A simple notebook and pen is all that’s required—no gizmos required. I find this procedure useful as when I get to a certain round count I usually decide to retire that particular firearm from service. It’s an arbitrary number but it’s what I do. For example, I retire my air weight J-frame at 10K rounds. I have only done this 3 times in my life. The first J I had the frame cracked around 12K and it was getting a little loose. So, I just decided on 10K for my personal comfort level. For every shot fired there are many many dry fires. It’s all about comfort of mind as m the durability and reliability of the firearm. To each his own I guess.

Thanks
    I appreciate your thoroughness. If it's peace of mind you're after, however, I'm not sure you'll find it with a Taurus. JMHO.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I appreciate your thoroughness. If it's peace of mind you're after, however, I'm not sure you'll find it with a Taurus. JMHO.
    I’m afraid you’re right. 😄

I so want to have confidence in this gun. If only S&W would produce one in this same configuration. Grrrr!

BTW, love the Augustine quote 👍🏻

Thanks
    Last edited by MSH72; 06-23-22 at 07:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Back in the early 2000s, I, along with a few other officers, had Taurus 85 Titanium revolvers as BUGs in ankle holsters. Mine had the Crimson Trace laser grips, and I carried spare ammo on a speed strip in my uniform chest pocket. I know I never had a problem with mine, and don't know about any issues with any of the other officers. They were relatively inexpensive and kept in stock in a local pawn shop back then.

Annual qualification was 100 rounds minimum, and we went back to 25 yards. This was also when I was shooting once a month or more, so I carried it to the range a bunch. At the range I would only put 25-50 rounds per session as it began to hurt the webbing of my hand with the CT grips after that (factory grips were a lot nicer on recoil), so lets say 400-600 rounds a year over six years without an issue. This was a mix of 38 and 38+P. I carried +P on duty, and had to qualify with my carry ammo, plus a cylinder full every range trip, so it was about 160 rounds of +P out of that 400-600 a year

Once I left the PD I stopped carrying it unless I was somewhere I couldn't fit my regular CCW pistol. This was usually if I had to wear a suit or tux, or on trips to 2A unfriendly states, or while traveling via plane as I would rather have the airport lose a cheap revolver than my regular carry piece.

My only issue with it was after I stopped carrying it on duty in an ankle holster. With the ankle holster the spurred hammer was fine, but when I left the PD and carried it in a pocket holster, I didn't feel comfortable with the hammer. Eventually I traded it on a hammerless S&W Airweight J-Frame for this reason.

Honestly, I probably should have just had the hammer spur cut and kept the Taurus. I know the Smith is a better revolver, but the Taurus had a better trigger after all the firing I did with it. The Smith hasn't see anywhere near the range time, so is not as smooth. The Smith has since been relegated to substitute-standard status and replaced by a Ruger LCR9 for those times I need something for pocket carry. The Ruger trigger feels better, and I use the same 9mm ammo that's in my regular CCW. As far as spare ammo for the Ruger, I found an old film roll bottle holds a moon clip in the front pocket pretty well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by john armond View Post
    Back in the early 2000s, I, along with a few other officers, had Taurus 85 Titanium revolvers as BUGs in ankle holsters. Mine had the Crimson Trace laser grips, and I carried spare ammo on a speed strip in my uniform chest pocket. I know I never had a problem with mine, and don't know about any issues with any of the other officers. They were relatively inexpensive and kept in stock in a local pawn shop back then.

Annual qualification was 100 rounds minimum, and we went back to 25 yards. This was also when I was shooting once a month or more, so I carried it to the range a bunch. At the range I would only put 25-50 rounds per session as it began to hurt the webbing of my hand with the CT grips after that (factory grips were a lot nicer on recoil), so lets say 400-600 rounds a year over six years without an issue. This was a mix of 38 and 38+P. I carried +P on duty, and had to qualify with my carry ammo, plus a cylinder full every range trip, so it was about 160 rounds of +P out of that 400-600 a year

Once I left the PD I stopped carrying it unless I was somewhere I couldn't fit my regular CCW pistol. This was usually if I had to wear a suit or tux, or on trips to 2A unfriendly states, or while traveling via plane as I would rather have the airport lose a cheap revolver than my regular carry piece.

My only issue with it was after I stopped carrying it on duty in an ankle holster. With the ankle holster the spurred hammer was fine, but when I left the PD and carried it in a pocket holster, I didn't feel comfortable with the hammer. Eventually I traded it on a hammerless S&W Airweight J-Frame for this reason.

Honestly, I probably should have just had the hammer spur cut and kept the Taurus. I know the Smith is a better revolver, but the Taurus had a better trigger after all the firing I did with it. The Smith hasn't see anywhere near the range time, so is not as smooth. The Smith has since been relegated to substitute-standard status and replaced by a Ruger LCR9 for those times I need something for pocket carry. The Ruger trigger feels better, and I use the same 9mm ammo that's in my regular CCW. As far as spare ammo for the Ruger, I found an old film roll bottle holds a moon clip in the front pocket pretty well.
    Thanks John! This is the kind of data I am looking to find! I appreciate you taking the time to post this information.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH72 View Post
    Thanks John! This is the kind of data I am looking to find! I appreciate you taking the time to post this information.
    No problem. Just remember, this was my sample of one. I'm not sure how many rounds other officers put through theirs.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I've owned two, both model 85's and have had several friends with them as well. This was probably a good 25yrs ago when a guy we all worked with had an FFL and he got a discount if he ordered (5) or more of an item thru the distributor. Two of them had light strikes right out of the box, one was extremely poorly finished and the other two were "acceptable". Mine took a trip back and I didn't experience anymore misfires but I wasn't super confident either. The other one the guy just put another box thru and deemed it was good enough for him. I traded it off and somehow ended up with another one a few years later in trade but again it seemed just a bit out of time as it spit quite a bit of jacket around the forcing cone. After that I vowed to just avoid Taurus all together. I just watched one of Sam's videos on a 2nd unboxing of an 856 that wouldn't rotate the cylinder, but they deemed it "fixed". Thru the years I've only really know one guy that was happy, he had a snub .357 (can't remember the model) that he picked up at a gun show for a truck gun but ended up as his EDC. He said it was the smoothest most accurate wheel gun he'd ever owned. He wanted to dislike it but couldn't. I know my local range had one of the Raging Bull's that they'd rent out with some sort of challenge but it was always broken. It's unfortunate as I kind of like some of their offerings, along with Charter Arms but know I'd regret it. If I was to go the Taurus route I'd probably end up with their executive grade. https://youtu.be/XYfuh9-0qSM

Feedback Score
    Well, I’m taking a chance on the 856. I got one with the all black finish. I have only put 200 rounds of ball ammo and tested a few +P defensive rounds. I LOVE this little revolver! But, even though I have had no issues with it yet I’m not ready to say I fully trust it. I will be doing daily dry practice with it and will want at least another 300-500 rounds without issues before I start to carry it. If this 856 holds up it may be my favorite revolver ever! Fingers crossed!

Feedback Score
    I’m interested in the 856 Executive Grade. It’s a handsome looking revolver and even though there are better looking guns that are also more proven for the same price or a little more… there is still just something about it.

Not to mention it seems to be getting some mild praise online.
    Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast