Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: $100 dollar transfer fee??? Ugh...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MK18Pilot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag
    If they make $100 pure profit on a transfer, I would think they would rather just process the transfer.
    What is the FFL's time worth? In a retail scenario, pure profit is a financial fiction.
    I think you missed my point. I was replying to Randall who had said (in a reply earlier to the one that I was replying to -- my reply was to his immediate post bringing bringing up his earlier posting) that the $100 was pure profit. So I said, if it is pure profit, I would think he would rather just do transfers than try to sell one of his stocked lower receivers, which even jacked up in price, is probably not $100 profit.

--
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In Washington, transfers run around $45 plus close to 10% tax on what you paid for the firearm. Actually, in Washington, you are supposed to pay the tax on everything you buy out of state
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    I do buy accessories from the LGS, and they know me.

However, would not do that with a chincy LGS, and accept outrageous fees. A bottle of lube or a holster at MSRP doesn't mean I'll accept outrageous transfer fees.

Online sales are the future, and I pity the business who doesn't embrace it. We have such a huge online access to information it really benefits a BM store to put as much information out there as possible, and become a member of the online community.

My LGS has made me recommend a particular store for transfers quite a few times, and word of mouth is also a valuable tool. Especially if its word of mouth to actual experience and then again shared.

There is an FFL "only" forum out there. The subject of transfers comes up often with the majority of the dealers against it. I don't know if they realize that this is the future or not.

So instead of saying "NO" to doing transfers, they just charge rude money.

What me fellow gun dealers do not recognize (as they have zero business sense) is that getting a customer in your shop (by offering a $20-$30 dollar transfer) is a good idea! That customer is much more likely to buy other things (to include guns) from you because of the service he is receiving. He will also promote you to all his friends and family. This is a MUCH better end result than screwing them on transfer fees or being rude to them.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 08-13-12 at 08:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    What me fellow gun dealers do not recognize (as they have zero business sense) is that getting a customer in your shop (by offering a $20-$30 dollar transfer) is a good idea! That customer is much more likely to buy other things (to include guns) from you because of the service he is receiving. He will also promote you to all his friends and family. This is a MUCH better end result than screwing them on transfer fees or being rude to them.

C4
    That's it in a nutshell. How can a LGS hope to stock the firearms inventory available thru the internet ... and then meet or beat those prices? Get the customer though the door and sell them ammunition, targets, cleaning supplies, a new scope, and all the rest.

It ain't a new idea. Manufacturers give printers away and make the money selling ink cartridges. Gas stations make their money selling pop and cigarettes, not gas. If transfers can be the "loss leader" to get a guy in the shop, they're turning away potential customers by not doing it.

And when they act like dicks or gouge the customer when doing a transfer, they lose that customer forever. Just read some of the comments in this thread. Terrible business practice.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

C4
    Couldn't disagree more. The transfer guys are all about playing Little Tijuana. Every retail transaction they enter into is a flashback to the last gun show they attended.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Couldn't disagree more. The transfer guys are all about playing Little Tijuana. Every retail transaction they enter into is a flashback to the last gun show they attended.
    Sorry, am not following.

C4

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave View Post
    That's it in a nutshell. How can a LGS hope to stock the firearms inventory available thru the internet ... and then meet or beat those prices? Get the customer though the door and sell them ammunition, targets, cleaning supplies, a new scope, and all the rest.

It ain't a new idea. Manufacturers give printers away and make the money selling ink cartridges. Gas stations make their money selling pop and cigarettes, not gas. If transfers can be the "loss leader" to get a guy in the shop, they're turning away potential customers by not doing it.

And when they act like dicks or gouge the customer when doing a transfer, they lose that customer forever. Just read some of the comments in this thread. Terrible business practice.
    Completely flawed analysis...

A loss leader is still a loss. The most successful retail models understand that "IN STOCK" is the most important component of customer service they can provide. They also understand that demand is inelastic and they have no desire to get into a race to the bottom on pricing.
    Last edited by MarkG; 08-13-12 at 10:52.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Completely flawed analysis...

A loss leader is still a loss.
    Except that transfers are not a real loss leader, since there is not a loss. They still make money on the transaction.

The most successful retail models understand that "IN STOCK" is the most important component of customer service they can provide. They also understand that demand is inelastic and they have no desire to get into a race to the bottom on pricing.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Sorry, am not following.

C4
    Little Tijuana... How cheap can I get? I know you are asking $495 for that Glock, would you take $445? Will you price match an internet retailer that has a lower price than you even though it's not in stock? These guys ain't potential customers. They are carbon dioxide generators out for a deal.
    Last edited by MarkG; 08-13-12 at 11:52.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Little Tijuana... How cheap can I get? I know you are asking $495 for that Glock, would you take $445? Will you price match an internet retailer that has a lower price than you even though it's not in stock? These guy ain't potential customers. They are carbon dioxide generators out for a deal.
    I don't think that a dealer has to match an internet price (as long as they are within a reasonable number).

For instance, gun shop sells a Glock 19 for $525. The consumer finds them online for $475. Most customers will pay an extra $50 to walk away with it right then and there.

If the LGS is professional (meaning not run by rude AHOLES), the consumer might even pay $75-$100 over what they can find online.

Of course, you will get customers that won't, but my experience is that people will pay more for better SVC (within reason).

C4

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast