Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Looking to buy a 308 AR... PWS, KAC or something else?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mic2377 View Post
    While there are not quite as many options for rails with the Armalite pattern, there are still many... Samson, Odin Works, Midwest Industries, etc.

Also is it appropriate to say something about a system being less compatible with aftermarket accessories, and then suggest a completely proprietary weapon system? No doubt that MWS is a good deal, but comparing that specific AR-10 (really more of a sporting game gun than a duty rifle) to a base MWS is not really apples to apples. What would be a similar configuration is a DEF-10 with a free float handguard, which is more in the $1100 range.

Armalite BCG's also come with a small-aperture firing pin that tolerates high pressures better, and ship with the AR-10/A5 length receiver extension and buffer which works much better than the short system and standard CAR receiver extension other large frame AR's ship with.

I have no skin in this game and don't care what the OP buys, but the options should be represented appropriately.
    I wasn’t dogging Armalite but since you said it, you’re right. There’s no comparison between a combat proven system, (MWS) with multiple military contracts to a game gun that began having feed and ejection issues at 1200 rounds, (in the link posted above that I didn’t read. Lol). My bad. $350 in price difference between the two rifles should sway everyone to take the cheaper option. LMT proprietary parts are available through multiple vendors as well as LMT direct. LMT uses the A5 length extension. The guns are end user serviceable. What better option is available and at what price point?

Quick question, what would you suggest op buy?
    Last edited by Jsp10477; 03-11-19 at 17:35. Reason: Spelling and added content
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If the OP had $1100, get an Armalite DEF-10, if $2300, a MWS. I don't think we are really in any disagreement at all. I am not trying to say in any way that the Armalite is superior/better, or remotely even equal.

Just depends on the OP's needs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mic2377 View Post
    If the OP had $1100, get an Armalite DEF-10, if $2300, a MWS. I don't think we are really in any disagreement at all. I am not trying to say in any way that the Armalite is superior/better, or remotely even equal.

Just depends on the OP's needs.
    Absolutely. Budget pretty much defines options.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spatten View Post
    Should have picked up a South American LMT MWS for $1799. That was a hall of fame deal. I wish I would have bought two.
    I missed that shit, damn.

LMT or KAC is the horserace IMHO. I own two MWS systems but will own a KAC one day in time. I love my MWS guns.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 03-11-19 at 18:46.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Huh, apparently the Colt CM762 now has a 15" M-LOK handguard. The MSRP is the same as the MWS Defender, though, at 2299 USD; looks to be lighter at 8.8 lb versus the LMT at 9.8 lb, but the 1/12 twist barrel does have me leery and tip toward the MWS Defender.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Huh, apparently the Colt CM762 now has a 15" M-LOK handguard. The MSRP is the same as the MWS Defender, though, at 2299 USD; looks to be lighter at 8.8 lb versus the LMT at 9.8 lb, but the 1/12 twist barrel does have me leery and tip toward the MWS Defender.
    Yeah, but they ditched the monolithic upper for some cheap looking pinch-bolt style.

Edited to add:

Don't see much about the Barrett Rec10. Is it new?
    Last edited by RAM Engineer; 03-15-19 at 09:26.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    I've got a Colt Modular (which I haven't shot yet) and weighed it. It's actually 8.4 on my scale.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Yeah, but they ditched the monolithic upper for some cheap looking pinch-bolt style.
    I'm not familiar on all the types of rail mounting solutions but the rail has a tongue and groove slot on the picatinny rail section where the upper meets the rail. My rifle is in storage, otherwise I would take a pic. Best I can do is a Youtube Video from Arms Unlimited. Starts at about 50 seconds.

Re: Barrett Rec 10, yes it is new.
    Last edited by Leadslinger585; 03-15-19 at 10:25.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Finally got a chance to shoot my Colt Modular 308. Didn't shoot it a lot (maybe 60 to 70 rounds), I was focusing more on my G19 MOS and the 223 AR.

I don't hate it, it seems better than the SCAR 17 (in some aspects). It's worth looking at.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadslinger585 View Post
    Finally got a chance to shoot my Colt Modular 308. Didn't shoot it a lot (maybe 60 to 70 rounds), I was focusing more on my G19 MOS and the 223 AR.

I don't hate it, it seems better than the SCAR 17 (in some aspects). It's worth looking at.
    A friend has a 901. It’s a very accurate rifle and light for what it is. My only real concern is whether there will be support and spare parts in the long term. This is a concern for the SCAR too. The only way to be sure is to stockpile important spares while you can.

I have had owned LaRue OBR, LMT MWS, and KAC APC. A couple of my friends have SCAR 17, one has a SCAR 20. One of my friends has the 901.

I consider the KAC PC and CC, LMT MWS, SCAR 17, SCAR 20, LaRue Prdatar/OBR/PredatOBR, and Colt 901 to be excellent options. You really can’t go wrong with any of those. Make a list of the attributes you want, stack those options up, pick one, and enjoy.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 03-17-19 at 20:27.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234