Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: With no LandCruiser 70, or Defender 90/110 in America, what

Feedback Score

With no LandCruiser 70, or Defender 90/110 in America, what

upcoming SUVs have you interested.

The days of every company have a true SUV or two are decades gone.
    (Frame on, in-line RWD based drivetrain with true low 4WD)

Even unibody SUVs like the old Cherokee, are few and far between and you have to option a Grand Cherokee just right to have the true low 4WD.

Most are CUV vehicles.
    (Unibody, FWD based transverse drivetrains with no true low 4WD)

Many of the SUV mimicking points on CUVs like true rear does, externally mounted spares, etc. are long gone. Many true frame on or unibody SUVs don’t even have them in favor of soccer mom type features.

Plus, with some of the very sophisticated AWD systems, at times it seems like AWD, in combination with true off road ability and low 4WD is a fantastic overall set up, vs the classic RWD/4WD set up.

Many of the old SUVs are now CUVs with a legacy name.

Few AWD SUVs are here, and typically expensive like a LandCruiser or Lexus.

Are the upcoming Bronco, new Defender, or expected next generation 4Runner raising any hopes?

I kind of hope they will make a Diesel Gladiator like this with rear door and spare.

Oddly enough,
    I would be cool with a trail rated Grand Cherokee with the same body style.

“Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    At this point I would be looking at good condition used. New cars today don't instil much confidence in me. Either I can find a careforde late 90s to mid 00s or I'll just go the import route

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Which is why we are still driving our 2007 Nissan Pathfinder with 265,000 miles. Not many of the new SUV’s check the boxes for me and the few that do are priced way too high in my opinion.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    At this point I would be looking at good condition used. New cars today don't instil much confidence in me. Either I can find a careforde late 90s to mid 00s or I'll just go the import route
    How many new cars have you owned vs older?

How much time have you spent recently keeping everything working on an older vehicle?

I have the exact opposite experience.

Your chance of buying a new vehicle and going 100k plus miles with no issues other than maintenance over five or ten years vs a vehicle from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s that is at least about twenty years old is massively different.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    You on
    Ih8mud
    Or expeditionportal ?

Reckon depends on your needs wants how many folks you haul what you haul
    Camping where ? Water available etc....
    Or just daily crawling exploring

Loved my fj40 loved my FJC and 4Runner

Modern vehicles are so much nicer for getting their a lot of our stuff was getting to a point to get off road so the road aspect was nicer in newer vehicles
    So air con working well also comfort of seats handling of vehicle on the roadetc..... was nicer in newer rigs
    Otherwise I would go old school or look at a Volvo c306

Had a conqueror conquest trailer for a while original one out of Africa super cool

These days we have cut way back on gear burnt out on to much camp stuff so slowly going back to almost backpack style stuff with the kids

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post

I would so get this in a heartbeat, especially in a Diesel.

And I agree with your assessment, I have had much better luck with new vs used. I get my F250 9 plus years ago and it has over 140k on it and all i have done is replace the tires and had to get new batteries last year.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Get a 3rd or 4th gen 4runner in good shape with low miles (Hard to find, yes, indeed) and call it a day. Add a lift if you require it, tons of options out there.

I've rocked all gens of 4runners and they are bulletproof.

I've had nothing but issues with Jeeps, they are fun and nothing is quite like rocking a flat fender with the top off riding trails, but wrenching them and the $$ to keep them going and they aren't great daily drivers turned me off big time. Plus Fiats QC is awful. Issue after issue; it's a good thing most Jeepsters go to the mall to be seen and not the trails...

If you need something bigger get a land Cruiser or a Sequoia. I have a 2010 Sequoia and it is pretty much a 4runner on steroids with more creature comforts and space.

I'd love a 4litre twin turbo diesel true selectable factory locker 4wd vehicle like the D90's (But not with all the headaches) or an LC70, but they just don't make them anymore.

Go the import route, yeah sure, $$$ and then more $$$ for parts.

I wrench on all my own vehicles and Toyota was engineered and designed to be worked on, unlike many others I've owned. They're the best all around bet out there.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    How many new cars have you owned vs older?

How much time have you spent recently keeping everything working on an older vehicle?

I have the exact opposite experience.

Your chance of buying a new vehicle and going 100k plus miles with no issues other than maintenance over five or ten years vs a vehicle from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s that is at least about twenty years old is massively different.
    Well I've only ever owned one new car. A lease back in 2005. Since 1997 every car I've owned (except the lease) has been used and all but one of the used with close to 100k. Aside from occasional maintenance I've never had ANY problems. A radiator change, new axle, thermostats, top cover gaskets, occasional hose here and there. That's about it. My second to last car went to almost 300k without mechanical issues. A radiator at 220, several thermostats and top cover gaskets. Of course preventive maintenance like timing belts and water pumps.

My first in 97. 94 Eagle Talon 1.8 auto with around 80k. Had it senior year of high school. Don't remember mileage when sold.

In 1999. 94 Camaro 3.4 auto. Bought with 97k sold with 179k. One radiator hose.

2000. 88 Bronco II. 2.9 auto. Bought with 80k, sold with under a 100k. No issues.
    Camaro and Bronco were owned at the same time.

2001. 99 Camaro SS 5.7 auto Virginia State police surplus car. Bought with 95k crashed 6 months later. No issues.

2001. 99 Nissan Altima 2.4 auto. Bought with 55k, sold with 110k. No issues

2004. 98 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9 auto. Bought with 170k, sold with 190 something. Changed one water pump one turn signal/light stalk.

2005. New lease Altima 2.5 auto.

2007. 99 Toyota Solara 2.4 auto. Bought with 81k, sold with 293k. One radiator, 2 thermostats, one radiator hose, 3 top cover gaskets and preventive maintenance of 3 water pumps and timing belts every 100k. All this from 2007 to 2014.

2014. 2010 Corolla 1.8 auto 29k. Currently 135k no issues. Current car

2018. 07 4Runner 4.0 auto. Bought with 109k current 118k. Replaced both front axles, front right hub, radiator. Current car.

None of this of course counts typical maintenance of oil, breaks, battery...etc..

Now, for new cars but I had no major problems with used. However the amount of fairly new cars I see in the shop with major problems.... everything from electrical to engine swaps at 50k is mind boggling.

I'll gladly buy a late 90s Lexus over anything made in the last 7 years
    Last edited by Arik; 07-14-19 at 14:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    Get a 3rd or 4th gen 4runner in good shape with low miles (Hard to find, yes, indeed) and call it a day. Add a lift if you require it, tons of options out there.

I've rocked all gens of 4runners and they are bulletproof.

I've had nothing but issues with Jeeps, they are fun and nothing is quite like rocking a flat fender with the top off riding trails, but wrenching them and the $$ to keep them going and they aren't great daily drivers turned me off big time. Plus Fiats QC is awful. Issue after issue; it's a good thing most Jeepsters go to the mall to be seen and not the trails...

If you need something bigger get a land Cruiser or a Sequoia. I have a 2010 Sequoia and it is pretty much a 4runner on steroids with more creature comforts and space.

I'd love a 4litre twin turbo diesel true selectable factory locker 4wd vehicle like the D90's (But not with all the headaches) or an LC70, but they just don't make them anymore.

Go the import route, yeah sure, $$$ and then more $$$ for parts.

I wrench on all my own vehicles and Toyota was engineered and designed to be worked on, unlike many others I've owned. They're the best all around bet out there.
    By import I don't mean new imports. I mean older stuff that can now be imported due to age. Mid 90s diesel 4Runners and Land Cruisers.

Feedback Score
    Son is 14.5 and will get his permit at 15. His HS is 15 miles away, he is getting a car for his 16th birthday- spoiler alert. Hopefully the next 4Runner will be out by then, can't believe that it isn't out yet, but would rather not get 1st model year. If the LC comes out then too, we might be trading in my car and doing a two-fer. Always wanted an LC.

Jeep JL looks pretty good. Between a Sport S and a Sahara.

Would love a Defender, but with the bumper and pedestrian rules in the EU (maybe hope there?) I don't think that something that resembles a DEfender 110 will come. We have been teased with the next gen Defender for a decade for nothing to manifest itself.

For my kids, I want something that has some safety bells and whistles, but not much else. Something that they can keep for 10 years. For me, I want less- less stuff to break, less steel and more aluminium, less gadgets to break. That Indian CJ looks kind of interesting. Hell, I might come home with a Honda Ruckus for those little trips. Tired of parking craziness here in Denver.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast