Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical Cannabis Discussion

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Some good some good advice for Dr. Grinspoon: “Instead of exhorting doctors to embrace and authorize schedule I (illegal) drugs for their patients, spend your efforts and your influence getting cannabis off of schedule I”.

I hope he’s smart enough to see that that is the obvious place to start.
    As you know, that's I have been saying for some time, a schedule change a must if we are to see genuine and needed data, to see who, what, where, why MM is of real value and where it is not. That states have decided they had enough of the fed side refusing to move on that (which is one of of the few things the majority of 'Murcans agree on...), to force the issue is plus in my view. It clunk and kinda ugly right now, but that's how it's gonna be until that's done.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Wanna be in a study? This is the type of data we need more of, and you can be in it if you match the inclusion criteria. The gubment posts upcoming studies, and outlines what the inclusion criteria is at the bottom of the page. Working title for this study is "Safety and Efficacy of Medical Cannabis Oil in the Treatment of Patients With Chronic Pain."

Study Description

Brief Summary:

Seeking for effective therapeutic strategies, the investigators are proposing to test the effectiveness of different formulations of medical cannabis oil to alleviate chronic pain, which was partially relieved with conventional prescriptions. Furthermore, the investigators would like to assess the effect of different formulations of medical cannabis oil on other symptoms associated to chronic pain like anxiety and depression, as well as insomnia and appetite. Finally, as recently recommended for clinical studies on medical cannabis, the investigators will examine the safety profile of different cannabis formulations focusing on the following elements: a real chronic administration with more than two weeks of treatment, a larger number of patients, and the clinical relevance of medical cannabis oil to change the amount and type of concomitant medications used to control chronic non-cancer and cancer pain.

Cont:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03337503
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Robison View Post
    I don't doubt there are legit uses for it. My problem with it is everyone I know on MMJ was a stoner growing up and are doing nothing but looking for a legal way to get high as part of the bad back brigade or migraine mafia and "weed is the only thing that helps man". I'm sure there are plenty who don't fall into that crowd, but not among the people I personally know.
    Our state has legalized it with out issues. Frankly alcohol causes far more problems to society. My problem is that both sides of the issues are full of crap. The pro side says marijuana does everything from cure cancer to make rope while the other side says it will cause mexicans to become raged killers and will lead you straight to hell. With all things the truth is in the middle. Personally I don't believe in the use of any recreational drugs including alcohol. Marijuana does have some medicinal purposes such as helping cancer patients eat.
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 07-07-18 at 00:06.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A new review on the potential benefits of MM and multiple sclerosis:

Researchers Say Cannabis Can Benefit People with Multiple Sclerosis

After a review of scientific studies, researchers say extracts from marijuana plants can help treat pain and spasticity symptoms in people with multiple sclerosis.

"A systematic review recently presented at the Consortium of MS Centers in Tennessee has concluded that cannabinoids may have “modest effects in multiple sclerosis for pain or spasticity.”

Researchers looked at the safety and effectiveness of cannabis as well as studying its impact on disability and disability progression, pain, spasticity, bladder function, tremor/ataxia, quality of life, and adverse effects.

Five reviews concluded that there was sufficient evidence that cannabinoids may be beneficial for symptoms of pain and spasticity in multiple sclerosis (MS).

The review suggested future research include studies with noncannabinoid comparisons, noting an important gap in the studies.

The cannabis plant contains many biologically active chemicals, including about 60 cannabinoids."

Cont:

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...le-sclerosis#2

Source:

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...018.00183/full
    Last edited by WillBrink; 07-07-18 at 08:25.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    CBD NEWS:

Which is good and bad in my view. Good News: We are now seeing CBD based medications coming out and FDA approved to treat serious illness, thus further confirming that CBDs can have real therapeutic value in some conditions

Bad news: that will also be used to attempt to remove CBD as a nutritional supplement by pharma who, as pharma wants to protect its investment, IP, etc, tends to do if possible. Will they succeed? Right now, seems FDA looking more to enforce unsupported claims of OTC sellers of CBD, and that on its face is not a negative per se.

However, it's clearly the first step in the pharma/FDA interests to remove the competition from the market that may compete with their products. This will be an interesting time for medical cannabis, drugs based on cannabis, access to OTC products, and so forth.

Cont:

http://www.nutritionaloutlook.com/re...bd-supplements
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Subjective, but makes sense seniors on various meds to control pain would find benefit in MM:

THURSDAY, July 5, 2018 (HealthDay News) -- Seniors are giving rave reviews for medical marijuana.

In a new survey, those who turned to it for treating chronic pain reported it reduced pain and decreased the need for opioid painkillers.

Nine out of 10 liked it so much they said they'd recommend medical pot to others.

Another patient put it this way: "It [medical marijuana] is extremely effective and has allowed me to function in my work and life again. It has not completely taken away the pain, but allows me to manage it."

Cont:

https://www.webmd.com/pain-managemen...with-seniors#1
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A vid on one persons journey finding relief from TN

TN is short for Trigeminal Neuralgia. TN is very painful and often difficult to treat. This is N = 1 subjective to be sure, but very compelling and her interviews with the doc at UCLA medical, etc worth watching. A must watch for anyone with TN, and other associated neuropathic pain conditions:

- Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    You know I always qualify such things, and per above "This is N = 1 subjective anecdotal to be sure," cuz I do science

Just like case studies, weak evidence taken alone, but we don't ignore them either as they mount. Irrespective of her experience, I thought interviews and her total presentation both compelling and interesting.

For me, if other modalities have been attempted and exhausted (per her story) and people find relief from what is a very low toxicity compound, then by all means try it and we can figure out the mechanisms of action later. The data on MM for neuropathic pain conditions is decent, or at least good enough to fall under the "worth a try" category in my opinion.

Full disclosure, I am working with a doc in FL to assist those who fit the conditions the state deemed legal at this time. That's a new development, something that actually came about due to my looking into the topic via the OP post. I had no affiliations on such things until just recently, and regardless, my science hat remains firmly in place, and always will.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    You know I always qualify such things, and per above "This is N = 1 subjective anecdotal to be sure," cuz I do science

Just like case studies, weak evidence taken alone, but we don't ignore them either as they mount. Irrespective of her experience, I thought interviews and her total presentation both compelling and interesting.

For me, if other modalities have been attempted and exhausted (per her story) and people find relief from what is a very low toxicity compound, then by all means try it and we can figure out the mechanisms of action later. The data on MM for neuropathic pain conditions is decent, or at least good enough to fall under the "worth a try" category in my opinion.
    I readily agree that you are very inclined to be "data vs anecdote" aware.

Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast