Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slinging my Mossberg 590A1

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Slinging my Mossberg 590A1

As seen in previous posts, I have been building up my Mossberg to better fit me. It's currently sporting a 12" Hogue overmolded stock and forend kit and today I received in the mail my VCAS Padded Sling from Tzoid. However, I had no idea how to mount the sling. First things first was a sling swivel kit from Wal-Mart. The only thing they had in stock was a 1" kit, but I was desparate to get it together tonight so I went ahead and bought the 1" kit. As you can see by the picture, the 1" kit works fine, even though it's probably not recommended.

Now that I have the shotgun, swivels and the sling (sister Suzie sitting...) I decided to go ahead and mount up the front and deal with the back later. The 590A1SPX model has the magazine cap at the end of the barrel (20") but the bayonet lug has a slot for a sling adapter, about 16" down the barrel. I decided to first try out the mount at the bayonet lug, but it puts the sling too low in the center of gravity on the shotgun. It's just asking to be carried upside down.

OK, now what? Well there's the magazine cap, but it's so far away and I would have to wait to order a GG&G adapter. I took off the magazine cap and checked it out and noticed threads. Yes, there are threads in the end of the magazine cap, which are, I'm sure, designed for sling swivels. Am I the only person to not know it has a threaded shaft? Probably. Anyways, after cranking the swivel down into the end of the magazine cap, I successsfully have the front end mounted up. And it's far enough towards the top of the barrel to not have to worry about weapon roll. Success!

Now, to the back. I know that if I used the factory adapter on the bottom of the stock it would be completely off balance from the bore line and not stay in the upright position. I had read in other posts about people using Vickers straps, drilling holes in the side or the top of their stocks, etc. I didn't really want to do anything permanent to the stock (the Hogue stocks are pretty thin compared to the stock one) and again, I'm too impatient to try out the Vickers straps. So I start brainstorming. One idea finally sticks. What if I just take the sling swivel and sandwich it between the stock and the recoil pad? What do I have to lose? Well, I get the recoil pad off and sure enough, it just may work. I get everything together and it just may work. The only speed bump I'm running into is the thickness of the sling swivel is restricting the recoil pad from seating flush against the stock. I think I may Dremel it this weekend and be good to go.

What do you think of this sling mount? There shouldn't be any problems with trimming out 1/8" or so of recoil pad, should it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not feeling that under the recoil pad option. Mr Murphy would be all over that
    C Co. 509th ABN/PFDR
    83-85

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Travis,

Take a look at the BFG A1/A2 Buttstock adapter....watch the video

http://www.blueforcegear.com/product...k-Adapter.html

12 bucks should give you what you want....post photos when you're done. I just bought a 590A1 20"
    Tzoid

Texan raised in " The Peoples Republic of Maryland"

"RRA- if they came with a blow job I wouldn't take one." - Pat Rogers

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I currently have a Specter Tactical adjustable 2-point sling on my 14" Mossberg 590A1 and I'm using a Blackhawk front sling adapter plate that fits right behind the cap on the magazine. It was very easy to put on. This is a temporary thing until I find a better option.

I recently got this GG&G single-point sling attachment that is affixed between the receiver and stock. I think something like this is more of what I'm looking for.

I'm also considering the following slings:

PIG Drop-Slider Mk-2 Sling by SKD-TAC
    Blue Force Gear VCAS Padded Sling (AA model)
    Vikings Tactics (VTAC) Wide Padded Sling

Anyone else that has decent suggestions for slings on a 590, I'm all ears, too.
    Last edited by snake eater 332; 06-18-11 at 14:43.
    www.king33training.com

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2/1 SFG(A)
    ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM / DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Feedback Score
    My solution:

G3 sling attachment fitted into Hogue 14" stock. Front end is handled by a fitting from CDM - BMT with sling swivel.

I use a 30mm / 1 1/4" sling that is squeezed thru the stock fitting which HK users know is only for 25mm / 1" slings.

CDM do nicely machined - not stamped - parts:

http://www.cdmgear.com/

Edit: The project cost me around $15.00.............no webbing, no velcro, no fuss.
    Last edited by Von Rheydt; 06-18-11 at 18:39.

Feedback Score
    Hey Von, using the Hk G3 sling attachment is pure Genius!

Do you have a link to a source for that part?
    Domari Nolo

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm using the factory sling mount at the bottom of the stock but for the front I stopped using the sling mount mounted to the magazine cap because when I would twist the sling it would loosen the cap. No bueno. So this is what I'm using on my 590: http://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-590-fr...ttachment.html

I'm thinking of getting something else for the rear since I want to swap out the buttstock anyways for something a little shorter.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    How did you find a swivel to fit in the threaded magazine cap? I've been searching for one of those for a while.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Well the studs came with the gun, and the swivels I believe I bought at Wal-Mart, I really don't remember but I wanna say that's where I got them. The front sling mount I was using was pretty much exactly what the OP has in the first and third pics.

Like I said, it unscrews the magazine end cap so I quickly ditched it, though in all fairness in only unscrewed it when fondling the gun and never at the range. But still, I feel better with the GG&G sling mount.
    Last edited by El Pistolero; 06-19-11 at 00:57.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Rheydt View Post
    My solution:

G3 sling attachment fitted into Hogue 14" stock. Front end is handled by a fitting from CDM - BMT with sling swivel.

I use a 30mm / 1 1/4" sling that is squeezed thru the stock fitting which HK users know is only for 25mm / 1" slings.

CDM do nicely machined - not stamped - parts:

http://www.cdmgear.com/

Edit: The project cost me around $15.00.............no webbing, no velcro, no fuss.
    That's a pretty nice set up. Unfortunately I plan on putting a cheek pad on it so that mount would be a no go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast