Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never knew I had an astigmatism

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Never knew I had an astigmatism

Took my daughter's carbine to the range yesterday to sight in the newly acquired trijicon mro. I left the range with her rifle zeroed with both the optic and the back up Magpul rear sight and these observations:

1. I have read of many frustrated red dot users not knowing which part of the red streak to use as the actual point of aim. For me I couldn't decide which part of the hour glass shaped part to use. I tried various settings and visualized the dot through the lower third back up sight. The result was the same shape but just less glare around the edges. I was also wearing prescription polarized eye protection.

2. I had more success at 100 yards making smaller groups with the back up sight than the optic. This was also true at 50 yards.

3. I will find out later this week if her younger eyes are better suited for the trijicon mro than mine.

4. I prefer the aimpoint pro over the smaller trijicon mro. The aimpoint has more useful settings in adjusting the brightness of the dot. Once I got back home I tried out the pro and my trijicon reflex. I guess I do have a slight astigmatism that I have never noticed before. I have been using the pro since it came out and have always appreciated the small crisp dot. I used the aimpoint pro and my Colt 6920 to produce a 5 inch 20 shot group from a rest at 200 yards using IMI mk262 last month.

For now I have no buyer's remorse as the trijicon may work for her. For me? I am glad I have the aimpoint.

Karl

Feedback Score
    I've had it forever. The best set of prescription correction I've had made came from the optician at the local Walmart about a month ago. Now I can see a perfectly round dot with a little corona (which is even all the way around) on the 2 MOA dot of my PRO and no edge fuzziness at all with the 4 MOA dot of my CompC.

Somewhere I read that the larger the dot the less susceptible it is to distortion from astigmatism. My experience seems to bear that out.

I'd like to try a 3 MOA dot, that might be the perfect combination of small size and crisp edge for me.
    Last edited by Don Quijote; 10-25-18 at 06:00.

Feedback Score
    I have a mild astigmatism its mildly annoying but not really a big deal .... my red dots are slightly bigger then they are supposed to be and different shapes but nothing as bad as an hour glass they are still totally useable

I have looked through EOtechs and they looked way better but still not sure whether or not i want a holographic sight

Im considering ordering a trijicon rm09 1 moa dot ..... im thinking it will be nicer if my creative eyes have less material to work with lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Ive heard a few other people say that the MRO was worse then other dot sights for theyre astigmatism

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I believe my eyes prefer the aimpoint as the dot appears smaller and has less intensity than the trijicon. I know both are supposed to be 2moa dots. But the quickly building intensity of the trijicon made it worse. I know the purpose of the red dot is quick acquisition for a bullet into a chest sized target. Every red dot I have will do this. But when placing bullets into a 6moa paper bullseye, the aimpoint pro is superior. For me...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have astigmatism that makes all the red dots less than a crisp circle, but not to the point where I can't use them. The Aimpoint Micros aren't appreciably worse for me in this respect than anything else I have owned/borrowed, so I keep using them. The red dot optic that seems to be the least problematic for my vision remains an old 30 mm UltraDot that is mounted atop my .22 pistol... lots of smaller, more up-to-date reflex sights have challenged it, but that dot still gets along best with my eyes.

Astigmatism coupled with the onset of cataracts can make long range sessions less fun than they ought to be, but whenever I start to get down about it someone shows up in one of the lanes with eyes way more derped than mine.

toc

Feedback Score
    I have the same deal. The dots usually appear like a comma and I zero it on the top of the comma. It works well. A tip to reduce the “starburst” is to look through the rear BUIS at the dot. Try it. It’s wild how well it works.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    I've had it forever. The best set of prescription correction I've had made came from the optician at the local Walmart about a month ago. Now I can see a perfectly round dot with a little corona (which is even all the way around) on the 2 MOA dot of my PRO and no edge fuzziness at all with the 4 MOA dot of my CompC.

Somewhere I read that the larger the dot the less susceptible it is to distortion from astigmatism. My experience seems to bear that out.

I'd like to try a 3 MOA dot, that might be the perfect combination of small size and crisp edge for me.
    I have a mild astigmatism. I get a ray around 7 to 8 o'clock on a pro. Only looked through an MRO and some Vortex 2moa sporadically so really not enough to draw a conclusion on.

One of the few 3moa dots I can think of (and have access to) is the Aimpoint Comp M and now that you mention it I don't think I get much distortion with it. I thought it was a lack of brightness, which is a problem because those are no longer rebuildable and this thing is useless in full sunlight unless the front is closed off for occluded eye use.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 10-25-18 at 07:59.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by teksid View Post
    I have the same deal. The dots usually appear like a comma and I zero it on the top of the comma. It works well. A tip to reduce the “starburst” is to look through the rear BUIS at the dot. Try it. It’s wild how well it works.
    Wonder if that is a variation of being able to make an aperture with the tips of both index fingers and thumbs to act as a half assed magnifying glass? Best I can recall, it has something to do with controlling/focusing light getting in to the eye.

Feedback Score
    My understanding is that looking at a red dot through an aperture reduces or eliminates the distortion caused by astigmatism because the aperture acts as a collimator of sorts which reduces the amount of light that reaches the deformed portions of the retina.

I wish also I could find the snippet where I read that the larger the dot, the less susceptible it is to distortion from astigmatism. Comparing 2 and 4 MOA Aimpoints back to back I can assure you that effect is real, at least to my vision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast