Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another 11-87 Thread

Feedback Score

Another 11-87 Thread

So I was picking up a lower in my local FFL/Pawnshop the other day and a shotgun caught my eye. It was a Remington 11-87. I don't think it was a police model but looked like one with the 18 0r 20" barrel and extended tube. It may have been an express magnum. I know all the stink around Remington lately so I would be hesitant to buy, but it was priced at $249. This seems really low to me. I have an 870 Express Magnum that I turkey hunt with and I have had problems with it. I probably bought it 15 years ago and had some kind part fall out of the, bolt/ejector idk ,I don't remember but it screwed the gun up and I had to get it fixed at a gunsmith. After reading through several threads lately it seems that most prefer an auto for defensive use. I can see where the short stroking a pump could be a real issue. I do have a couple Glocks and a DD rifle that are my primary defense weapons right now. In my home I would likely be wholed up in the back corner of my room waiting for someone to come in on me. I think a shotgun would be hard to beat for my personal house set up. Different weapons would be available for different situations. Do ya'll think it would be worth a gamble at that price? Unfortunately I do not really know what to look for when inspecting the gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you can get the barrel date code you could tell when it was manufactured. That might give you some idea of potential QC problems with a newer gun.

Here is where to find the barrel date code and how to interpret them: https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/remin...ture-2164.html

If the gun was manufactured later than 2013, it may not have a barrel date code.

Some guys love 1100's, some guys love 11-87's.

The 11-87 has a self-regulating gas system that will allow you to use different loads. Some folks claim that it won't cycle low brass target loads, ours (sample of one) did, and it was lights out with reduced recoil buck or slug.

$249.00 seems to be a pretty good price if it isn't beat to heck.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link. I'll swing back by there and see if I can find any info on the gun to get me started.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    If you can get the barrel date code you could tell when it was manufactured. That might give you some idea of potential QC problems with a newer gun.

Here is where to find the barrel date code and how to interpret them: https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/remin...ture-2164.html

If the gun was manufactured later than 2013, it may not have a barrel date code.

Some guys love 1100's, some guys love 11-87's.

The 11-87 has a self-regulating gas system that will allow you to use different loads. Some folks claim that it won't cycle low brass target loads, ours (sample of one) did, and it was lights out with reduced recoil buck or slug.

$249.00 seems to be a pretty good price if it isn't beat to heck.
    I picked up a used 11-87 parkerized Special Purpose Deer with a 20 inch rifle-sighted smooth barrel in 2008-ish. I think it's a great gun. One thing that might be worth checking is whether the trigger guard is plastic or aluminum. I believe an aluminum trigger guard/assembly means it was made back when they were making high quality guns.

Mine does NOT do a good job of cycling weak target loads by the way (as in it usually won't cycle them and I have to manually eject and load the next round), but I love the way it shoots. The gas system takes a lot of recoil out of even nasty 3'' buckshot loads. The only downside is that it is heavy compared to my 870. The gas system is not a lightweight feature.
    Last edited by 5.56_30-06; 12-19-17 at 15:43.

Feedback Score
    Btw, I paid a lot more than $249 for it, but it was a lightly used Parkerized model.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I’m still thinking of swinging back by and taking another look at it. I’ve spent most of my Christmas money already but where there’s a will there’s a way lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aclawrence View Post
    Thanks. I’m still thinking of swinging back by and taking another look at it. I’ve spent most of my Christmas money already but where there’s a will there’s a way lol.

Don't forget that if it's a black one, you can walk around with it with an air tank like Anton Chigurgh.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56_30-06 View Post
    Don't forget that if it's a black one, you can walk around with it with an air tank like Anton Chigurgh.
    Man I wish I knew what your talking about. I’m guessing it’s a cool movie reference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aclawrence View Post
    Man I wish I knew what your talking about. I’m guessing it’s a cool movie reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKJiwcGvaqI

Feedback Score
    Oh yeah I was wondering if that was it. That’s a bad dude and a great movie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast