Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LMT MWS going from 16CL to 20SS barrel

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

LMT MWS going from 16CL to 20SS barrel

So, I recently bought a 20'SS barrel looking for more LR potential. I have not overwhelmingly appreciated the increase in velocity. However we are seeing some .5 inch groups with a few different kinds of ammo. I definitely increased velocity, but didnt know whether I would see better sub moa performance. So on both fronts, I am seeing better performance, happy with my 20'SS MWS barrel.

If you are on the fence, go for.

Merry Christmas

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I got better groups when I switched to an 18”ss barrel also. They’re worth the money imo. V1 tactical and Primary arms have barrels on sale. Code “ Save12 “ will get you 12% more off at Primary Arms.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    My test loads so far from the 18” SS 5R barrel have been just meh. It’s either me, or the reloads. The barrel is consistent with Fed XM80C. For me, the 20” barrel will probably be in 6.5 CM. I am not done with .308 reloads though, fun times building up loads. Some definite potential, just not seeing it yet.

https://imgur.com/a/FDDZkV9

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    My test loads so far from the 18” SS 5R barrel have been just meh. It’s either me, or the reloads. The barrel is consistent with Fed XM80C. For me, the 20” barrel will probably be in 6.5 CM. I am not done with .308 reloads though, fun times building up loads. Some definite potential, just not seeing it yet.

https://imgur.com/a/FDDZkV9
    Duece7, You have a $3K rifle and you are shooting self made card board. It really helps to shoot a "Shoot and See" with diamonds that facilitate lining up your reticle. It will really help. One target with five targets per sheet cost .50 to a dollar on amazon. About the cost of one round to put it in perspective.

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to help.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 12-28-19 at 20:44.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    My 18” ss barrel doesn’t shoot 175gr FGMM well. It hammers with the FGMM and Magtec 168’s though. I need to try to work up a load with the 175 smk’s. I’ll get around to trying some 178 eld’s and 185 juggernauts eventually.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Duece7, You have a $3K rifle and you are shooting self made card board. It really helps to shoot a "Shoot and See" with diamonds that facilitate lining up your reticle. It will really help. One target with five targets per sheet cost .50 to a dollar on amazon. About the cost of one round to put it in perspective.

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to help.
    PB
    Yeah, you are probably right. I bought some orange target dots for my self made card board. I went out yesterday in less than ideal conditions (cold front moving through, wind, sideways rain and just general nature mayhem) and tested some 168gr SMKs over Varget. I’ll have to post some pictures. I used my range bag as a rest and that helped. I used my chrono as well and got speeds that were on par with the Sierra manual. I shot all rounds suppressed and the groups were decent. I am curious as to what I should expect. The 18” SS 5R barrel is at least MOA. I am also running the SSA-E which is a really nice trigger. Not sure if the MP PRS stock is going to stay though. The LOP doesn’t work for me and I have switched back to the MP ACS stock for now. It might be a while before I can get back out, Mother Natures winters can be a little harsh in my neck of the woods. Next up will probably be some more 168’s with RL 15. I have heard good things about RL 15 and .308. Happy shooting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsp10477 View Post
    My 18” ss barrel doesn’t shoot 175gr FGMM well. It hammers with the FGMM and Magtec 168’s though. I need to try to work up a load with the 175 smk’s. I’ll get around to trying some 178 eld’s and 185 juggernauts eventually.
    I have a load worked up for the 175gr SMK with both IMR 4064 and Varget. Decent groups out of the 18” SS 5R barrel. I have some 178gr ELDs from Hornady as well and plan on using RL 15 for the load work up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsp10477 View Post
    I have a load worked up for the 175gr SMK with both IMR 4064 and Varget. Decent groups out of the 18” SS 5R barrel. I have some 178gr ELDs from Hornady as well and plan on using RL 15 for the load work up.

Feedback Score
    Double tap.

Feedback Score
    I’m hoping I can find a good load using Varget. I have plenty of stored away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast