Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: .308 vs 6.5mm Creedmore

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I've been shooting .260 and 6.5 semi-auto guns professionally for a couple of years now. Here's my "off the top of my head" list of observations:

-Recoil is pretty similar to 7.62/.308 when all other variables are the same.
    -With factory ammunition, baseline "accuracy" seems to favor 6.5 over .260, but the difference between 6.5 and .308 seems to be more related to the ammunition itself and barrel specifics. I.E.: don't go to 6.5 if your desire is to just shoot tiny groups at 100 with factory ammunition.
    -The high BC projectiles really need to be thrown at high speed to show advantage (I'm really liking 130gr at around 2900), which requires a barrel in the 22" area.
    -There are magazine limitations for COAL, pay attention to how much room you have in your magazine.
    -There is a definite advantage in ranging error with 6.5 over 308, especially if you are coming from 16-20" 308 barrels to a 22" 6.5 (like I did).
    -There is a significant wind advantage with 6.5 over 308, and given that most people at high performance levels struggle with wind more than any other single aspect, that makes a difference.
    -There is a noticeable difference in time of flight between the two, giving a slight advantage with mid-range moving targets.

I think that a lot of the perception of driven off of primary platform experience. I shot a lot of 16" 308, so when I went to a 22" 6.5 all of the little advantages of the 6.5 over 308 were magnified. If all else is equal, the performance delta of the two is much more narrow, but if you're starting from the ground up, going with 308 for a 22+" gun wouldn't seem like the best decision given that you can get ahead by simply going with a more efficient cartridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    Jack is dead on here. If starting out and have a choice, 6.5 is that choice. Factory loads are more plentiful now, and really good ones too. If terminal ballistics are key, at or around the 7-800 yard range max, then .308 is still a little better.After that 6.5 starts to take over.
    All things equal though, the 6.5 trends to be a little easier to be accurate with and with a 24-26" barrel, you can be more accurate over a much greater distance with 6.5. It simply gives more headroom.
    If you reload, 6.5 is the choice hands down.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    They’ve used 6.5X55 in Sweden for ever on Moose.
    Sure it’d work, bullet selection being key.
    Quote Originally Posted by B52U View Post
    Here is an Elk that was just taken in Utah with a 6.5 creedmoor at 1550 yards.
    Looks like I'm sold. 6.5CM it is... Thanks everyone!
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Here is an Elk that was just taken in Utah with a 6.5 creedmoor at 1550 yards. This particular hunter has won several state long range and sniper competitions so the ethics police don't need to jump in, he has the skills to do this. 147gr ELD-M bullet, 2 hits in immediate succession.
    Very nice.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Here is an Elk that was just taken in Utah with a 6.5 creedmoor at 1550 yards.
    Damn. That beats Pappabear's 1300 yard Bull Elk kill.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    that is getting it done. Im a bit surprised the 6.5 got it done at `1550. The round just seems to hit steel so soft at 1,300 , oh well the dead elk don't lie. He Dead

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    that is getting it done. Im a bit surprised the 6.5 got it done at `1550. The round just seems to hit steel so soft at 1,300 , oh well the dead elk don't lie. He Dead

PB
    It is pushing the limits for sure. His load was estimated at 624ft lbs energy at that distance according to strelok. But results are results.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Was with a 6.5CM?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Was with a 6.5CM?
    No. 300 WM. He just got the 6.5 several weeks ago.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Has anyone tried the fusion MSR in 6.5? I love the speer gold dot bullet, how is accuracy and effect of target?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Is there any evidence that the increased popularity of 6.5 has impacted the sales of .308 rifles?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Is there any evidence that the increased popularity of 6.5 has impacted the sales of .308 rifles?
    I don't know of any official evidence, but it's not hard to believe that most of the purchasers of 6.5 Creedmoor rifles were considering a 308 to some degree.

I don't recall you stating your intended target...paper or steel, or large game. If it's paper or steel, within your relatively short distance, then I agree with those that said a .223 Remington will get the job done nicely with less expense and recoil. If it's large game, then the 308, with its decreased cost is a solid option. 6.5s are great, but deliver a small improvement under most circumstances out to 300 yards.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast