View Poll Results: Do you use a "training rifle"?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's also a rifle caliber like my "primary"

1 4.35%
  • Yes, it's a pistol caliber

2 8.70%
  • Yes, it's a .22 LR

11 47.83%
  • Yes, it's Airsoft

2 8.70%
  • Yes, I have more than one kind of "training rifle"

6 26.09%
  • No, I shoot my "primary" rifles

1 4.35%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who uses a pistol caliber, .22 LR, or Airsoft rifle as a "training rifle"?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Recently built a 9mm AR for this purpose to save a little on ammo and my steel from close in hits by 223.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Recently built a 9mm AR for this purpose to save a little on ammo and my steel from close in hits by 223.
    9mm AR is one of the next priorities on my list. Recoil control is about the only thing a .22 won’t help with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    It is on my list to do all three, just haven't got around to it yet. This thread just might light a fire under my ass.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I have accumulated multiple guns and training aids over time. The important things to remember are that you are making contributions (no matter how small) to your knowledge wealth and you have to recognize the differences and limitations of your training aids.

I started my wife off with a simple Time Crisis gun game while properly illustrating fundamental techniques. We moved into cheap spring Airsoft. Then 22LR Advantage Arms Glock conversion. She is completely comfortable shooting 9mm now.

I have a M&P 15-22 that functions like a normal AR, an AR-9 that mostly functions the same (no lock on empty, Glock mags, etc.). For my off range time I have a SIRT AR bolt and pistol. I have no excuse to not train since I can always have some tool to work on skills.

Spending a lot of $$ sucks, but like any major tool, if you get one at a time it’s not too bad. If you have kids or people to teach, the value increases a lot. I have kids that will use the same training tools. I always plan on shooting, so $500 for the rest of my shooting years isn’t bad if I spend wisely.

Feedback Score
    I have two customized Ruger 10-22 rifles. I also have suppressor that I use. With 22LR ammo cheap and available at least for now, this is a great and inexpensive way for me to practice and hone my shooting skills.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have both. I wanted to practice engagements in small confined spaces , clearing rooms, since this seemed like the most likely encounter a civi would have with their weapon ( at least where I live.) Airsoft is nice for around my home and in my back yard. (draw practice , weapon light deployment.) .22 is great for training at the range without breaking the bank on ammo.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    To save money on ammo, or be able to practice at home, or save wear, or shoot plates at close range or use a shoot house, or other reason.

Do you have a "training rifle" that is a pistol caliber, .22lr, or Airsoft?
    Absolutely. CMMG 22LR drop-in bolt for AR-15; Advantage Arms 22LR upper (with same sight setup) for Glock.

I think standalone 22LR weapons have their purpose as well, but getting training on the same firing controls, grip, cheek weld, etc as those of your primary weapons is quite valuable.
    "The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards."
    William Francis Butler

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Dedicated .22LR AR, and as I'm a 1911 guy, I guess my Ruger Mk.III 22/45 bull bbl, qualifies as a "1911 trainer."
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12