Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low posting quality

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Low posting quality

Ive been noticing it for a while now, the quality of posts has dropped quite significantly since the start of 2019. This forum has always been a place that had a higher signal to noise ratio than TOS but more TOS quality posts have been creeping in. Could it just be me? Well Ive PM'ed quite a few senior members and asked the same question and they've noticed it too. More than half the threads in AR general and AR technical are more appropriate to the new shooters forum or are easily answered with a google search. Im getting more and more jaded with the troll quality posts and frankly its just easier to troll them back. Nearly all of the SMEs are gone and the flow of good information has nearly stopped. Its been a slow decline buts its been glaringly obvious since the start of 2019, this place is now just TOS with less members.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 04-09-19 at 23:55.

Feedback Score
    Why don't you and the senior members you've polled contribute some higher quality posts/content?
    Lead by example.
    Last edited by prepare; 04-10-19 at 06:36.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Why don't you and the senior members you've polled contribute some higher quality posts?
    Lead by example.
    Because threads with the following titles:

“I shot my 6920 today. Ran great.”

“I didn’t buy a new gun today because I have a Colt 6920 and Glock 19 and they both work well.”

“I added an optic to my AR and it was a quality rifle so everything worked well”

...would receive no replies.

I think what OP is describing is the forum’s rush to participate in stupid threads while the more technical ones go with just a few replies. Not too many are going to be able to discuss IR lasers and the benefits and ways of passive NV use.

But everyone wants to justify that their Holosun is just as good as an Aimpoint.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Low posting quality

Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Ive been noticing it for a while now, the quality of posts has dropped quite significantly since the start of 2019. This forum has always been a place that had a higher signal to noise ratio than TOS but more TOS quality posts have been creeping in. Could it just be me? Well Ive PM'ed quite a few senior members and asked the same question and they've noticed it too. More than half the threads in AR general and AR technical are more appropriate to the new shooters forum or are easily answered with a google search. Im getting more and more jaded with the troll quality posts and frankly its just easier to troll them back. Nearly all of the SMEs are gone and the flow of good information has nearly stopped. Its been a slow decline buts its been glaringly obvious since the start of 2019, this place is now just TOS with less members.
    Very true. I go back and forth between trolling the posts and not having the energy to respond to the same question, again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree with the OP generally. The General Discussion threads lately have seemed pretty awful to read too, so that does set a lot of the mood on the forum.

I'd like to see more threads about actually gaining skill with these guns. I get the feeling that the majority of posters talk a big game about "running a gun hard" and all that but in reality most go shoot a few standing groups at 25yd indoors and then take some really nice photos of their gun in the yard or garage floor looking all used, or super clean in a makeshift home studio with all the right lighting.

I realize there is a large contingent now who only can shoot at 25yd indoor ranges so even some skill talk about how to get the most out of that setup with a carbine would be cool. Someone could figure out what field expedient positions could be used at the indoor range, etc. Maybe even "postal matches" where guys run drills and post their times and targets, if everyone could be honest about it.

The same could be done with carry pistols too.

I really enjoy the AR Photos thread and from time to time I'll start back and the beginning and work my way through to now. The transition has been from actually working/training carbines at the beginning to what is mostly high end Instagram studio quality photos of guns now.

A neat thread would be "Tell Me About Your Gun" with photos. The poster would have to walk through each aftermarket piece and explain why that part was chosen and how it works for that particular shooter in the field. Accompanying photos of shooting location (terrain, etc.) would be cool, and of course only guns that have been shot a bunch would be allowed.

I don't know - I'm not through my first cup of coffee so this post is probably incoherent.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

The technical nature of articles on M4C are THE best on the internet, and invite the member to read, mark, and inwardly digest them, before asking... "less than informed" questions. Other than an introduction, I'm not sure I posted anything my first 6 mos. as a member - I had so much to READ!

I'm not an operator - not police - never even peeled potatoes at Ft. Dix. I'm lowly, lowly, private citizen - but I wanted to own better gear than UTG, shoot better than gangstaz at a rapper's funeral, & own better rifles, than the righthand side of "The Chart." Working firsthand with Jay Cunningham and Grant through the PA/OH/WV study group was more important (MY initially bad skills & gear notwithstanding) than being a keyboard kommando, and M4C provides that kind of interaction, for members who WANT to take advantage of it.

I'm still a Grade 'A' smartass, & I chime in on "General Discussion" appropriately. But at 0.83 posts per day after 11 years, I mostly STILL read the technical discussions, & ACT on it accordingly.

But if you want to come in and brag about how great your Del-ton rifle and Hi-Point pistol are, after firing a mag through each... well... folks here CAN fix that (if you're willing to learn that it NEEDS fixing). Or we'll all get a good laugh out of watching you take enough rope to hang yourself, before Iraqgunz removes our entertainment for the day.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    My point was that it’s up to us members to raise the bar. That can be easier said than done especially for new shooters that are strictly brand focused on what’s the best (whatever) without any context or understanding. Hashing out the same stuff/beating a dead horses gets old. Then you’ve also got guys that can afford the best of the best that rave on how inferior other stuff is with zero actual experience other than being brand snobs. As far as technical information there’s way too many industry secrets to even have a deep discussion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I go back and forth between trolling the posts and not having the energy to respond to the same question, again.
    I think your second point definitely touches on something that has lead to a decrease in forum traffic. It seems like you see people asking a question, then someone jumps on him in an reply and says it's been asked before. Then they post links, tell the original poster to do a search or lock the thread, or often some combination of all that.

It's one thing if people are trying to be helpful. But most of the time, I think the people replying with those type of replies are trying to make themselves look smart by trying to make the original poster feel stupid.

I never really understood that. It's completely reasonable for different people to have the same question. It's also completely reasonable for experts to change their minds on some subject, new products come out, changes in a product occur, etc.

Joe Mamma
    Last edited by Joe Mamma; 04-10-19 at 07:53.
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Very true. I go back and forth between trolling the posts and not having the energy to respond to the same question, again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That was basically my demise. I used to participate a lot more frequently here but many of the topics became somewhat monotonous.
    That and there’s a small group of members whose posts became increasingly annoying AF to read. They kinda ruined the place for me, and I would imagine others as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    That was basically my demise. I used to participate a lot more frequently here but many of the topics became somewhat monotonous.
    That and there’s a small group of members whose posts became increasingly annoying AF to read. They kinda ruined the place for me, and I would imagine others as well.
    Awwww!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast