Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MOS mounting reliability

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Depends on the aluminum used. 6061 isn't a crap aluminum.

I don't understand the distrust. However....

Time will tell. I know what the stock mos plate gets me, loosening and sheared screws.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I’ve milled 4 slides (Gen3, 2 Gen4, Gen5) with L&M.

Comparing those with MOS versions I have no idea why anyone would choose the MOS. The milled slides fit better. They are lower profile.

There’s no downside other than the time spent off machining the slide.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

Comparing those with MOS versions I have no idea why anyone would choose the MOS. The milled slides fit better. They are lower profile.

I was just explaining this to the gun counter guy yesterday. He wanted to know why I wanted a Glock with front serrations but no MOS. I told him it was getting milled and that it’s far superior to Glocks offering.

Snug fit, recoil bosses, good screws. RMR straight to slide takes out a whole part that could (and apparently has) failed.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    My 19x and 45 are both milled for an Rmr and your right it is superior in every way but the gen 5 34 only comes in mos so that’s what I was stuck with. 4000+ rounds have been successful with the mos but I do wish someone would come up with a better steel plate.

Feedback Score
    When HK was preparing their optic ready version of SFP9 (VP9) they postponed release by almost a year and remanufactured all slides they already made for those pistols to move form M3 screws (like MOS uses) to M4 screws. Apparently this was becouse they found out that M3 screws happen to break sometimes on some other designs in a long run. Currently SFP9 OR ships with M4 x 8mm 12.9 screws. I think that it is something worth consideration.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Does anyone know what bits I need for the FAT wrench for the CHPWS mounting plate? I just bought a 45 MOS, haven’t shot it yet, had the OEM plate with trijicon mounting plate on, just received the CHPWS in the mail today, but I realized I don’t have the bits to torque it to spec.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

Is it possible to have an MOS slide milled?

Yes, I know that it is already factory milled. But if places like L&M can do a better job, would it be possible for them to still work with an MOS slide? I honestly have not seen a custom milled slide in person yet, so I don't know what the dimensions of the cuts are.

From what I hear, and see on the internet is that aftermarket cuts are deeper. So I figured it's still possible to take more material out of whatever cut Glock provides with their MOS.

I also know it makes no sense to start with an MOS model if you're going to send it out anyway. I'm mainly asking out of curiosity. I have a 19 MOS, just not with me at the moment. It'll probably be a bit before I see it again.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    Is it possible to have an MOS slide milled?

Yes, I know that it is already factory milled. But if places like L&M can do a better job, would it be possible for them to still work with an MOS slide? I honestly have not seen a custom milled slide in person yet, so I don't know what the dimensions of the cuts are.

From what I hear, and see on the internet is that aftermarket cuts are deeper. So I figured it's still possible to take more material out of whatever cut Glock provides with their MOS.

I also know it makes no sense to start with an MOS model if you're going to send it out anyway. I'm mainly asking out of curiosity. I have a 19 MOS, just not with me at the moment. It'll probably be a bit before I see it again.
    Agency Arms can make a cut on an MOS slide, not sure on others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    Does anyone know what bits I need for the FAT wrench for the CHPWS mounting plate? I just bought a 45 MOS, haven’t shot it yet, had the OEM plate with trijicon mounting plate on, just received the CHPWS in the mail today, but I realized I don’t have the bits to torque it to spec.
    The ones for the RMR are a 1/16th hex and the plate to the slide should be 5/64th.

Over 500rds now. No loosening or loss of zero.
    Last edited by RMiller; 09-08-19 at 07:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Agency Arms can make a cut on an MOS slide, not sure on others.
    I wonder what the final product looks like, given that the MOS slides already has a generous amount of material removed from the mounting area to accommodate both mounting plates.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast