Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: How many of you go without BUIS?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have them on all of my guns

I've been to more than one carbine match when another shooters optic simply turns off due to a dead battery......
    you'd figure that if you're going to go to the trouble of going to the match, paying, spending half a day there, etc. that you'd be prepared and make sure your RD had a good battery in it and was ready to go....I just dont want to run the risk....
    also I dont keep hundreds of spare batteries around...a few, but not 5 years worth and if the S did hit the F then BUIS make may guns usable still......a bit goofy maybe but that's the way I look at it

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My duty rifle has fixed DD irons to go with my aimpoint pro. I actually prefer fixed with the aimpoints. We’re required to have cowitness BUIS if we run an optic.

I don’t have irons on my AR pistol yet and I haven’t decided if I will yet or not. I’m less concerned with needing them since I’m running a LPVO on it. My third rifle only has irons on it right now until I decide what I am doing with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Maybe people should put on their big boy pants and make an executive decision on whether or not a BUIS fits their needs. What if some dude doesnt run a BUIS, instead he has a spare optic in a pouch strapped to his ankle? Is he wrong?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Maybe people should put on their big boy pants and make an executive decision on whether or not a BUIS fits their needs. What if some dude doesnt run a BUIS, instead he has a spare optic in a pouch strapped to his ankle? Is he wrong?
    You mean personal responsibility for themselves and their choices?

No way man, NO WAY.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Not at all. His needs, his life. He should protect it the way he feels is best.

That's why I carry a tactical pen daily instead of a gun. At close range, I never run out of bullets, it's harder to disarm from me, and lighter to carry. At distance, I can throw it into an attacker's eye if necessary, but at distance I'm better off just moving behind cover.

For myself, I prefer BUIS because they are more reliable than electronics and glass.

Just like my tactical pen is more reliable than a Glock 17.

Ultimately, the intersection of serious situation crossing with a quality optic failure is a pretty narrow window. Only question becomes what happens if you happen to win that lottery and your optic stops working with no BUIS...

For the price of a set of Magpuls, it's cheap insurance. But I'm not a gambling man. (I gambled on a Taurus pistol years ago... never getting cheap firearms again)

Smith & Wesson all the way (for tactical pens)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow93 View Post
    . We’re required to have cowitness BUIS if we run an optic.
    A mistake IMHO. That's like requiring everyone to shoot right-handed regardless of their natural orientation.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    A mistake IMHO. That's like requiring everyone to shoot right-handed regardless of their natural orientation.
    Which some agencies have done.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adh View Post
    I have them on all of my guns

I've been to more than one carbine match when another shooters optic simply turns off due to a dead battery......
    you'd figure that if you're going to go to the trouble of going to the match, paying, spending half a day there, etc. that you'd be prepared and make sure your RD had a good battery in it and was ready to go....I just dont want to run the risk....
    also I dont keep hundreds of spare batteries around...a few, but not 5 years worth and if the S did hit the F then BUIS make may guns usable still......a bit goofy maybe but that's the way I look at it
    A classic example of why I went "battery free": ACOG, Meprolight....

Gee, one would get the idea from this thread that irons are superior in all respects--which they are.

I deem optics "nice to have" unless you're talking long-range precision shots (then they would be essential).

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    ...Gee, one would get the idea from this thread that irons are superior in all respects--which they are. ...
    If that were actually anywhere close to being true, how come we don't see any elite combat units choosing to run an irons only rifle in combat? Why are they consistently choosing RDS and LPVO optics depending on their mission? Are they choosing them to purposefully degrade their capability? Or to enhance their capability?

Hell, the Son Tay raiders figured this out in Vietnam using super shitty FO sights by today's standards.

The results of the GAU-5 Carbine/Singlepoint pairing were summarized in the following passage from the AAR, “…At a distance of 25 meters, the poorest marksman could place all rounds in a 12 inch circle at night. At a distance of 50 meters, the same shooter could place every round in an E type silhouette both day and night. The only advantages found in day shooting were speed in engaging the target and shifting fire. The single point could not compare with open sights for accuracy. At night the situation reversed. Shooters could engage targets and shift fire just as rapidly as in day fire with the same amount of accuracy… With the proper training, the Single Point Sight is an invaluable aid to the infantry rifleman. There are no liabilities to the sight other than additional weight. The key to the sight is the fact that the open sights are still clear, giving the shooter an option of sights depending on time and illumination”.9 Despite this success, it appears that SOF did not widely adopt a “red dot” type optic in combat until the Aimpoint optic was used in the 1980s.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I thought so at first too but after thinking about it, it isn't an awful idea. The number of Aimpoints or high quality scopes are few. Majority are running something along the lines of a Vortex Sparc and most aren't going to shoot it enough or check the battery enough besides that pre shift check to notice if it were to die so to make them have a backup sight option is a decent idea. They don't have to be fixed they just have to be on the gun. I can run a LPVO and run folded and get it approved so its not something worth arguing with them over.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast