Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for someone who isn't a "serious shooter."

Feedback Score
    I'm going through this exact same thing with my BIL right now, and he's doctor with substantial income.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    I had a buddy over recently and he was talking about how he thinks he may want an AR because of all the talk in the news. I was showing him one of mine and he asked how many magazines I had for it. When I answered he looked at me like I had said something in a foreign language. He then asked how much the red dot (T2) cost. When I answered he kind of chuckled, shook his head and handed the gun back to me.

I appreciate the whole "buy a 6920, Aimpoint, 20 Pmags, and a few cases of M193" but that just isn't something that a non gun guy is going to digest.

The Glock 19, mags, holster, ammo, is smart and an easy answer. At the same time the news cycle has everybody thinking they should buy an AR.

Feedback Score
    Good advice. Even at a bare minimum, a proficient non-pro shooter can see things a new shooter is doing wrong and make corrections, like looking down the barrel to see if it's loaded. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    There are virtually hundreds of good instructors who don't have a name.

Generally, I kind of turned my nose up at NRA Instructors until I retired and felt I needed to maintain instructor credentials, look here and see if something fits you:

https://firearmtraining.nra.org/student-courses/

Another thing you might do is go to a local deputy/patrolman/trooper you know and ask them who is the local guy to go to.

Show up at competitions, ask the RO's.

You can find someone who will be able to st you right, if you look.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    The standard answer here for any issue seems to be a Gucci gun, an Aimpoint, and instruction. I am not going for any of those.
    LOL, pretty much agree with that assessment. I always chuckle when I read something along the lines of 'I need to attend a high round count carbine class'. But, I also have to admit that even though I've been to training all over the place, if it is convenient, I'm always up for a course. It's fun, plus, I always pickup something.

I was just trying to offer some advice based on your earlier statement: I would love to take a week, drive up to Thunder Ranch, and lay down 3K for a course. This is just out of reach for me.

It's all good.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    LOL, pretty much agree with that assessment. I always chuckle when I read something along the lines of 'I need to attend a high round count carbine class'. But, I also have to admit that even though I've been to training all over the place, if it is convenient, I'm always up for a course. It's fun, plus, I always pickup something.

I was just trying to offer some advice based on your earlier statement: I would love to take a week, drive up to Thunder Ranch, and lay down 3K for a course. This is just out of reach for me.

It's all good.
    And after my pissy rant, I would still like to take a week and a course at Thunder Ranch. But it is not going to happen. Sorry, again, for the pissy response.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    And after my pissy rant, I would still like to take a week and a course at Thunder Ranch. But it is not going to happen. Sorry, again, for the pissy response.
    No need to apologize, your post made your point clear, and as I noted, a lot truth in the part I quoted. I just wanted you to know why I posted.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    In fairness, this IS a thread about advice for those who are not serious about shooting. I think some boxes were checked.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Training?

Go play airsoft with some experienced players. You think you know "how to shoot?" You're going to learn some humility on the two-way shooting range.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Why does everyone want to turn casual people into hardened gunfighters?

That’s a huge turn off.

The OP asked “Hey what’s a good gun suggestion for a guy who isn’t really into guns and just wants something for the house and maybe to hit the range every so often?”

And people are giving loadouts and suggestions to go to Thunder Ranch blah blah blah.

Lol no. An NRA class is actually good advice. He will learn how to load, unload, get a good base line on weapons handling, and feel competent in weapons safety. That is the key. Nobody wants something they think will just go off in their face.

Replace the OP with “I know a guy who wants a car and has never driven. What should he get?” And you wouldn’t say “He needs a Ferrari/Porsche/Mustang Cobra”. A Honda Accord. Duh.

“I know a guy who wants to do light snorkeling. What should he get?”

He needs a Draeger and Nitrox!!! Come on.....

Also lol at being a police because you like guns

If you like listening to people’s sob stories and writing reports all day maybe. Maybe.

A Glock is fine. Maybe a decent AR and a few magazines if he really wants one.

Sheesh

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah I'm thinking a Glock 19 and maybe a Mossberg 500 with a few boxes of 00B in the closet.

The big loadout stuff is a bit funny, though I may just not take some of that stuff seriously.

I have guys working utility line stuff down around Vine City and maybe a couple might have a pistol in the truck. I feel like some guys here wouldn't step into that role without body armor and all.

Really, the most practical thing I can think of is to have a good G19 to carry and then another at home in case you need to ditch the first one or it gets taken as evidence.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Yeah I'm thinking a Glock 19 and maybe a Mossberg 500 with a few boxes of 00B in the closet.

The big loadout stuff is a bit funny, though I may just not take some of that stuff seriously.

I have guys working utility line stuff down around Vine City and maybe a couple might have a pistol in the truck. I feel like some guys here wouldn't step into that role without body armor and all.

Really, the most practical thing I can think of is to have a good G19 to carry and then another at home in case you need to ditch the first one or it gets taken as evidence.
    AR > Shotty for home defense IMO.

00 buck tends to penetrate a tad worse than a rifle when it comes to drywall and framing. Hopefully you'll never have to use anything though in an HD situation though.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast