Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mossberg shockwave...practical uses.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Mossberg shockwave...practical uses.

Well finally bought one of those things. Brownell‘s had them for $265 so I really couldn’t justify not buying it . I am at least going to try to avoid buying a brace for it because I already home some 18 inch 870s I don’t really think a 14 inch barrel gun with an awkwardly placed safety is an improvement .

Of course I bought it for fun but once I am wondering if there was anything you can do with it other than waste ammo. I do live on a fairly large chunk of property and I have some fairly interesting critters. I am thinking this Maasberg with a Crimson trace laser saddle might be a handy gun for dispatching creatures at night.

It would be nice if they would put out an even shorter model with maybe an 11 inch barrel. It was a little bit shorter it might be a decent gun for caring in your truck for repelling borders when mad Max family becomes a reality.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Well finally bought one of those things. Brownell‘s had them for $265 so I really couldn’t justify not buying it . I am at least going to try to avoid buying a brace for it because I already home some 18 inch 870s I don’t really think a 14 inch barrel gun with an awkwardly placed safety is an improvement .

Of course I bought it for fun but once I am wondering if there was anything you can do with it other than waste ammo. I do live on a fairly large chunk of property and I have some fairly interesting critters. I am thinking this Maasberg with a Crimson trace laser saddle might be a handy gun for dispatching creatures at night.

It would be nice if they would put out an even shorter model with maybe an 11 inch barrel. It was a little bit shorter it might be a decent gun for caring in your truck for repelling borders when mad Max family becomes a reality.
    I've been thinking about getting one forever but like you I don't know what I would use it for. I would put a GG&G scope rail on it mounted backwards and chop the rail just forward of the safety with a Streamlight laser/light combo mounted as far back as possible. I would never shoot it from anything higher than a low ready position.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a Rem Tac-14. I put a Mesa grip adapter and a pistol tube on it - no brace. It is a hoot to shoot. That gives me enough reason to own it,
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Already traded it on a used USP. Just terrible. I probably should have bought a stock but I just decided to keep to my old 870s.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Wow, that's faster than some people change underwear.

Never gave them a second thought, but the V3 TAC-13...that's got possibilities.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    ... I just decided to keep to my old 870s.
    That’s where I’m at. I bought a couple 870P’s before I retired, added +2 Scattergun Technologies mag extensions and I’m good to go for home protection. (I’ve got other Riot Guns but I’m most comfortable with my 870P’s.)

I have no use for any Short Barrel Shotguns, I’m just more effective with 18.5” Remingtons.
    Last edited by ThirdWatcher; 07-12-19 at 03:49. Reason: Spellling

Feedback Score
    Yeah, never found a practical use for mine, other than letting other people, who are thinking about getting one, shoot it and realize they suck. But on the upside, I paid way more for mine than you did and I put it on a Federal tax stamp (AOW), so I had to wait a long time to get it.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    wow... need to rethink on this Mossberg then...How's about the Remington TAC-14?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benhou View Post
    wow... need to rethink on this Mossberg then...How's about the Remington TAC-14?
    I think that generally, if you like the idea of the short barrel and the bird's head grip it boils down to whether you are a Mossberg fan or a Remington fan.

Most of the negative comments made in this thread could be applicable to either the Mossberg or the Remington.

For sure it is a niche weapon, I bought one just because I thought it would be a hoot to shoot and it was - as a result of a previous wrist/arm break I found the bird's head grip
    uncomfortable to shoot so put a Mesa Adapter and pistol tube on it. It is fun to shoot. Quite frankly I have no other reason for owning it.

Some people feel differently, or, at perhaps have a reason to endorse the Shockwave:

https://www.guns.com/news/2017/03/28...hockwave-video
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    There may not be many practical uses for it. You will want to check your state hunting laws and make sure that you can legally take game or control pests with not a shotgun but an "other". It shouldn't be an issue as it is a firearm but I'm not about to poke the bear and ask and I'm also not gonna argue with the law in the field.

What it can and can't do are up to you. Shoot it, a lot, with a lot of different ammo and find what is comfortable for you. See how your gun patterns with different ammo, don't take u toobs word. Practice your technique and you will find that you can use more potent ammo more effectively. I found that around 1600 fps (advertised on the box) for either 00 buck or a slug is tops for controlled (translate to slow) accurate fire and you are not going to want to shoot all day with those. I carry mine with Federal LE rounds, mostly buckshot. This is why so many people either buy them and dump them quickly or put them in the back of the safe. Spend some time with it, they are a relatively new platform and there are not volumes of "training" advice out there but there are plenty of interwebs naysayers. Don't be afraid to run hundreds of cheap dove loads through it for no other reason than to learn how to point the damn thing and manage the recoil however slight. You may find that a #5 pheasant load will do the trick for skunks, raccoons, rabbits in the garden, and the like. Buck may only be needed for peppering pigs or whatnot.

I do not see it as a range toy or niche weapon. Even though it's not, it IS a shotgun. A 12 gauge shotgun. That should tell you it's a straight up killer. Shooting 00 buck or slugs, anything you hit within 25 yards is getting some serious energy. At longer ranges wit 00 buck you are at least putting a few pellets in something that have smallbore energy still behind them. At longer ranges with slugs you still have a ton of energy as long as you can hit it.
    The biggest advantage it has over a shotgun is portability. This is also up to you. Mine is beside the bed every night and at work with me every day. It wouldn't be if it had a stock or a brace. I could more comfortably shoot more powerful ammo reliably with a brace or stock but choose to have it with me more often instead. I'm actually thinking about buying another one and bracing it just because.

The aftermarket is alive and well for both so it does come down to preference on Mossberg vs Big Green. I chose Remington because I could get a ported, slug sighted barrel.
    Last edited by 300blkjunkie; 08-26-19 at 20:24.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast