Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: "Critique my firearm picture" thread

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    My AR10 with an iPhone 6s

Just thought it was a cool roll mark shot...was a bit darker originally so I lightened it up some.

Horribly grainy, which might work better with a black and white shot. The artifacts and purples running through the grain are bad. Very bad. However, as offensive as that is, I'm more offended that my eye is drawn to the serial number instead of the good looking rollmark which I know is present, but is presented as an afterthought.

Don't get me wrong, I like where you were going with this, but it fell a bit short.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2000 View Post

I'm trying here, it's been a while. Took about 10 pictures trying to get the composition right. Threw away 9 terrible ones, and am almost happy with this one. I wish I had the sling tucked in neatly all the way in the frame, and I could have moved to the left an inch and rotated clockwise a couple degrees. Ran out of daylight and gumption. Otherwise I'm happy. Pretty close to what I wanted to capture. I like these two firearms, they each have blue and stainless, iron sights only, and possess simplicity yet difficulty to acquire. They are fun to shoot too. This AK is a lot of punch in a small package.
    Thanks for the photog input Stickman!

You have two pictures crammed into one picture, and it only hurts the overall look. That beautiful wood is charasmatic and wants to be the star of attention, and it deserves it!! However, you dropped a deuce deuce into the picture for no apparent reason.

My eyes are crying out for justice, retake the picture and show me the gorgeous orange glow. While you are at it, lose the pistol, and prop the underneath of the receiver up so the weapon doesn't look like it is falling away from us in the image.

Lighting is pretty solid, though it honestly needs a white card to work as a reflector for the muzzle of the krink. A little more definition there will make a legit difference.

Aside from the above, it is pretty good.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Last edited by TriggerFish; 06-29-18 at 12:50.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerFish View Post

If only the pistol came across as grey, I think it would make more impact. Right now the human eye is pinging around off three things.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the valuable input Stickman. Now I see it, agreed completely.

Here is version 2.0. Propped up the receiver 2'' which tilted the mag and muzzle down to the ground, aimed a white cardboard box lid into the muzzle to reflect some light in there, flushed the deuce deuce, and re-framed. Looks much better to my amateur eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    You have two pictures crammed into one picture, and it only hurts the overall look. That beautiful wood is charasmatic and wants to be the star of attention, and it deserves it!! However, you dropped a deuce deuce into the picture for no apparent reason.

My eyes are crying out for justice, retake the picture and show me the gorgeous orange glow. While you are at it, lose the pistol, and prop the underneath of the receiver up so the weapon doesn't look like it is falling away from us in the image.

Lighting is pretty solid, though it honestly needs a white card to work as a reflector for the muzzle of the krink. A little more definition there will make a legit difference.

Aside from the above, it is pretty good.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2000 View Post
    Thanks for the valuable input Stickman. Now I see it, agreed completely.

Here is version 2.0. Propped up the receiver 2'' which tilted the mag and muzzle down to the ground, aimed a white cardboard box lid into the muzzle to reflect some light in there, flushed the deuce deuce, and re-framed. Looks much better to my amateur eye.

One million times better... said in my best Dr Evil voice.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Some dust, scratches on the plexi, and reflection issues. Would love to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by K1tt3n5; 07-02-18 at 00:31.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostdarva View Post
    First off I will not shop at a liberal store
    Secondly,
    I will not shop at a store that is named after genitalia.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by K1tt3n5 View Post

Some dust, scratches on the plexi, and reflection issues. Would love to hear your thoughts.
    Dust and scratches don't bother me as that sort of thing can always be cleaned up. I'm not a fan of the plexiglass genre, to me it always feels forced. HOWEVER, I understand there is a large amount of people who like it, and that subjectivity is key in that regard.

What isn't subjective is we have two objects showing at two different angles. If we look at the blade, and the pistol, we can see the underneath of the Glock, but the blade is almost flat on. I understand this is due to the angle of the lens, but that same wide angle robs us of even lighting along the blade length as well as creating a flat look for the blade and a heavy angle for the Glock.

An accent light across the top would have created a line of definition which would have made the sights look attached, instead of floating, and the third nipple appearance on top of the slice by the rear sight is questioning for people who aren't familiar with RDS on pistols, but due to the lack of highlight as mentioned, we don't really know if that is a cutout slide or not for a RDS.

There are other subjective things, but I like the negative space even though the paneling used tends to offset that a bit. Overall it is a clean, well processed image that is nicely shot.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Dust and scratches don't bother me as that sort of thing can always be cleaned up. I'm not a fan of the plexiglass genre, to me it always feels forced. HOWEVER, I understand there is a large amount of people who like it, and that subjectivity is key in that regard.

What isn't subjective is we have two objects showing at two different angles. If we look at the blade, and the pistol, we can see the underneath of the Glock, but the blade is almost flat on. I understand this is due to the angle of the lens, but that same wide angle robs us of even lighting along the blade length as well as creating a flat look for the blade and a heavy angle for the Glock.

An accent light across the top would have created a line of definition which would have made the sights look attached, instead of floating, and the third nipple appearance on top of the slice by the rear sight is questioning for people who aren't familiar with RDS on pistols, but due to the lack of highlight as mentioned, we don't really know if that is a cutout slide or not for a RDS.

There are other subjective things, but I like the negative space even though the paneling used tends to offset that a bit. Overall it is a clean, well processed image that is nicely shot.
    Thank you Stick, I really appreciate the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostdarva View Post
    First off I will not shop at a liberal store
    Secondly,
    I will not shop at a store that is named after genitalia.

Feedback Score
    Horribly grainy, which might work better with a black and white shot. The artifacts and purples running through the grain are bad. Very bad. However, as offensive as that is, I'm more offended that my eye is drawn to the serial number instead of the good looking rollmark which I know is present, but is presented as an afterthought.

Don't get me wrong, I like where you were going with this, but it fell a bit short.
    Well, I learn something new with every critique. Most interestingly, what it is that a professional sees/looks for.

I think as an amateur, I get hung up on the subject matter itself. In other words, I see a pic of a cool gun...you see a shitty pic, LOL.

Enjoy your critiques, thanks for taking the time.

Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast