Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands (VIDEO GAME)

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands (VIDEO GAME)

Tactical-ish open-world game set in (as far as I can tell) the entire country of Bolivia. The TV spot looks a bit... like ass. Although it does show off the game's KAC Stoner LMG.

Premise is that a Mexican drug cartel (called the Santa Blanca Cartel) has basically single-handedly turned Bolivia into a failed nation. And following the discovery of a DEA agent in their highest ranks, the cartel bombs the US embassy in Sucre and tortures and kills the DEA agent. The player (and his or her friends, or AI fireteam if playing solo) leads a team of Green Berets tasked with dismantling the Santa Blanca Cartel - chiefly using bullets and bombs.

Seems to be a soft reboot of the Ghost Recon franchise: It's set in 2019 - some five years after the events of Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2, five years before the events in Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, and about a year before End War's WWIII. Like the original Ghost Recon and Ghost Recon 2 games, the technology is much closer to the very near future (most of the technology already exists) than GRFS's more sci-fi setting. Recon, for instance, is performed with binos and miniature drones (and through allied locals) and there is no active camouflage.

The open beta was last weekend and the game launches in less than a week.

I enjoyed it. Although the aircraft controls were horrible and I'm not fond of the easter egg hunt that is acquiring various weapons and their accessories (although I have to admit that I prefer it to the typical gain XP to unlock). And there are some glaring holes in the game (like a category for stand alone GLs, RPGs, &c. and the ability to customize vehicles). Felt a lot like a tactical shooting-oriented GTA game with a significant dose of Far Cry (the latter part is for pretty obvious reasons, as both the Tom Clancy video game franchise and Far Cry franchise are owned by Ubisoft).

So if you've enjoyed the Tom Clancy games, if you've enjoyed GTA and Far Cry, and/or enjoyed movies like Sicario, End of Watch, and Clear and Present Danger, might be worth checking out in half a week or so.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    My son plays all of these. The one question I had was in Rainbow Six:Siege, why does the lethality go down when the gun has a suppressor? That, and I would have given more thought to joining the military if I knew there were such hot chicks in SF units around the world.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    My son plays all of these. The one question I had was in Rainbow Six:Siege, why does the lethality go down when the gun has a suppressor? That, and I would have given more thought to joining the military if I knew there were such hot chicks in SF units around the world.
    It's a balance thing: You don't want to make a game in such a manner that certain things are always going to be taken by players and/or the use of such items disadvantages other players in a way that's outsized to their disadvantages.

They give suppressors certain benefits, like in the Call of Duty games where firing a gun makes you show up on the mini map, suppressed weapons don't do so, or games like Ghost Recon where they greatly reduce the ability of AI enemies to detect the player's gunshots.

I think Medal of Honor: Warfighter did the most "realistic" job by having suppressors impact weapons handling, although I think even then, mounting a suppressor reduces the weapons' effective range.

Ghost Recon: Wildlands is sufficiently close to it's tactical shooter roots that suppressed weapons are not notably worse than unsuppressed weapons when it comes to ventilating sicarios. (Although I never really ran any unsuppressed weapons outside of LMGs.)
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    According to a friend of mine who is more of a gamer than I he said the game, at least the open beta, was decent. He has a couple friends who are playing together and that seems to be more of the draw for him than the gameplay, but he didn't have any major issues with the game from what he told me.

Personally the last Clancy game, my god rest his literary soul, was Vegas 2 which I played a good bit with a friend and a few others. I got props for the fact I was the only one who dedicated themselves to running the Mk23 as the sidearm, opposed to some Desert Eagle or hand cannon, to great affect I might add, and the XM8. I was also the only person I person I know who had someone ask if the guns I was running, XM8, had 2 round burst since my trigger control was so good that every time I pulled the trigger, I put two rounds on target, cuz I was a badass boss. even though it was only FA or single as for fire options. I also had one map i accounted personally for 48 of 50 tangos, again cuz I was a badass boss, and the other 3 guys I was playing with were kind of sucky.

If I get a chance I'll report on the new ghost Recon if I get a chance, though me and said friend have been playing through Borderlands 2, the Handsome Jack Edition and enjoying the simple pleasure of mindlessly killing shit, at least for the most part. I kill, he runs the missions. It is why I choose the Gunzerker. Lol.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I remember the first one like 16 years ago. I got the Dragunov girl and the bitchy blonde with the suppresses MP5. You were fighting in Russia or whatever.

I dont have much time for vidya games lately and I'm kinda sick of SF saves the day stuff.

Far Cry was fun. Especially when that black chick screws you and kills you. Story of my life

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Far Cry was fun. Especially when that black chick screws you and kills you. Story of my life
    I think she was Samoan brother. And they a lot freakier, all things being equal. Story of my life.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    did the beta
    good to have a non sci-fi shooter
    the open ? not sure how its going to work some bad helicopter control and plane got stuck against a box to easy ? cars handle like garbage and you can do to much stupid stuff ? in some ways a smaller more well controlled area then so open its going to be a waste of time
    Battlefield is open but has a solid reason and has tactical along the way not sure this open is going to be as good ?

seems like a fun shooter though

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ghost Recon was my favorite shooter franchise bar none.

Looks pretty slick.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have it pre-ordered. We'll see if it can pull me away from Siege. Though it looks like it really has the ability to.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    It's Far Cry with the ability to play the main story line with 3 friends while using all of our favorite toys and we don't have to skin pigs.

I played the beta and while I noticed some buggy areas, it was still very enjoyable. A beta is expected to have problems, but this one have very few. They need to fine tune the vehicles for sure, but I will say this: once you get used to the flying, it was quiet easy.

Killing that one dude to finish out the beta was a little too easy though.

I have it DLd and will play shit out of it once it releases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast