Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Geissele Rail Failures Mega-Thread

Feedback Score
    >be me
    >ask for specific instances of failures
    >really just interested in mk14 and earlier, as they haven't had RailGate BS
    >sees that the thread becomes a cesspit within moments, with exactly two testimonial posts
    >mfw

Seriously, dudes.

If you don't have a rail, and it hasn't failed, there's not much to add to this discussion.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I bought a 13" Mk14 the day they released, an early version that had anti-rotation tabs like the ALG rails and didn't have the anti-rotation screws. Adco installed it without issue when they assembled an upper for me. About months later, I noticed it had a manufacturing defect in it, one of the critical machining steps had been missed. I contacted G, who took care of it immediately and completely to my satisfaction. My replacement has been issue free for over 2 years now, and I'm not overly gentle on it. Multiple falls and bumps. Once, it fell out of a tree stand about 15' up, hit a branch then on it's side on the ground. Irons were still zeroed. I don't run lasers, so no experience there.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Geissele Rail Failures Mega-Thread

I’ve had a MK16 from around the time the whole thing came out. I really just liked the rail so when URGIs went on super sale I grabbed one. I also ended up selling that one off because I like LW barrels, but before I did so, that gun was blown off a range bench onto concrete. The Razor that was on that gun is at Vortex right now, as I suspect it may have been damaged. Never saw any issues with the rail itself, but I wasn’t using irons or a laser so I didn’t have anything to check zero with. I still like the rail a lot and bought the kit to be used on a separate upper. I don’t know how barrel it fit is as I didn’t install it. The barrel was suspect for a bit though so it’s been looked over by at least two different people - I assume if the nut was sketchy, that would’ve been mentioned. As far as the flex - I assumed it’s just like doc said. This design makes a sacrifice, I assume that’s happen to most similar rails out there, especially because last I saw, there was no evidence of whether the rail flexed or the barrel, or most likely IMO, both.

No other experience with G rails, but figured since I have one of the ones that are apparently questionable, my experience has some relevancy. I am a huge fanboy of their flat faced triggers, scope mounts, and even prefer their ACH to the Raptor though, so maybe I’m just a fanboy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 07-16-19 at 16:52.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    What is the actual flaw in the design of the Mk16? Barrel nut fit?
    What I was told was the loose barrel nut fit combined with the 7075 barrel nut, since the 7075 is softer than steel, so the looseness damages the barrel nut more easily, along with the use of the DD MK12 gas blocks impinging on the handguard due to its size.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post
    Which rail(s) were affected by this? This is the first I'm hearing of this.
    I don't know the entire story but from my understanding they get the big Army contract and cut some corners to meet the demand. I am not 100% sure but I believe that the entire line of rails suffered.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    When Bill got busted out on BARFCOM for selling a crapton of rails that were not even close to functional. He said that he would look into it....... then ghosted like a somebody told him they were pregnant

Because everyone wants to be cool with a HK 416 rail so they can be a black ops seal sniper ninja..........
    Wtf are you talking about. This literally had nothing to do with any rail prior to the mk16

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    What I was told was the loose barrel nut fit combined with the 7075 barrel nut, since the 7075 is softer than steel, so the looseness damages the barrel nut more easily, along with the use of the DD MK12 gas blocks impinging on the handguard due to its size.
    Forgot to mention that I did pair mine with the smallest (within reason) gas block I could find, just in case.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    >be me
    >ask for specific instances of failures
    >really just interested in mk14 and earlier, as they haven't had RailGate BS
    >sees that the thread becomes a cesspit within moments, with exactly two testimonial posts
    >mfw

Seriously, dudes.

If you don't have a rail, and it hasn't failed, there's not much to add to this discussion.
    I had a MK 4 about 5 years ago, so well before all of the current failings. I did not like it. The side stabilizer screws would not stsy and the rail would come out of alignment after several hundred rounds at one time. I did not keep it long enough for any other failures to present themselves. That was enough for me. I sold it.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Wtf are you talking about. This literally had nothing to do with any rail prior to the mk16

Please try and keep up. And don't worry, even if that rail is total garbage it will still look good on IG for your LARPing pictures.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    "decently documented".....LOL

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast