Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Colt Gold colored extractor spring

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    In general, music wire steel is the best choice in spring material. Only change to a different material if your spring wire is over 0.18″ in diameter, used in a highly corrosive environment or used medical, food, aeronautics or nuclear applications. There may also be better materials for used in extremely high or low temperatures.

Some AR springs are stainless steel for additional corrosion resistance, but the rest are all music wire.

Music wire also happens to be the cheapest material for springs. Unfortunately, in many people's mind, the more expensive CS spring must be better, so they fall for the hype.

I am sure that someone has, or will, make AR springs out of Inconel or Elginoly and some poor ignorant fool will buy them.

Good engineering includes using the best material, and one part of "best" is cost. If two materials do the same thing, and one is cheaper, then the best material is the less expensive one.

I equate titanium gas tubes and super alloy springs in the same light as if you gold plated your bolt carrier to prevent corrosion. Yes, a gold plated bolt carrier will resist corrosion, but no better that a cheap phosphate coating.
    Why is the copper colored one (music wire) better than chrome silicone springs? I only ask because I keep reading & the owner of Sprinco says his springs keep over 95% of their strength even after 1.5 million compressions, whereas regular milspec springs only last between 5-10,000 compressions.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Get rid of the O ring
    Why get rid of the o-ring? Too much tension or is it something else? I read the o-ring helps make steel cased and underpowered brass more reliable etc.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes, extractor tension is too high when the oring is used with the gold spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane55 View Post
    Why get rid of the o-ring? Too much tension or is it something else? I read the o-ring helps make steel cased and underpowered brass more reliable etc.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cane55 View Post
    Why is the copper colored one (music wire) better than chrome silicone springs? I only ask because I keep reading & the owner of Sprinco says his springs keep over 95% of their strength even after 1.5 million compressions, whereas regular milspec springs only last between 5-10,000 compressions.
    I would like to know where he gets that data. All the spring manufacturers I have every talked to about springs have told me that there is no real difference between music wire (MW) and chrome silicon (CS) at room temperature. Spring fatigue life has more to do with how clean the material is (impurity-wise, not covered in dirt), and how fine a surface finish the wire has. MW (ASTM A228) is very clean material and required to have a very fine surface finish, and most spring makers tell me it is best for high cycle applications below 250-300 F. As to the difference between 1-1/2 million and 10,000 cycles, that is the difference between high-cycle fatigue (10^6 cycles) and low cycle fatigue (10^3 cycles). Low cycle fatigue is normally associated with deformation beyond the proportional limit, and high cycle fatigue with deformations in the proportional range.

If you deform a material the stress is proportional to the strain (this is the proportional range), at a certain point, the proportional limit, the strain increases faster than the stress and permanent deformation will take place, this is what we call "set" in a spring. If you look at the tensile strength and other properties of spring material (http://www.tribology-abc.com/calcula..._materials.pdf) you can see that MW has a tensile strength between 230 and 399 ksi and CS has a tensile strength between 230 and 300 ksi, but both have a proportional limit of 45% of the tensile strength. Since there is overlap with the tensile strength of CS and MW, you can say that CS can the be equal of MW, but with the higher strength MW wires (see the strength vs wire dia graph) MW will be more set resistant.
    Last edited by lysander; 02-07-22 at 21:34.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sorry; not an engineer here.

But what I am reading is that CS springs while not an upgrade per say, are not worse in any meaningful way? If they are already purchased and in guns there's no good reason to pull them right? I happen to have a half dozen BCG's with spring co 5c over a black insert, and the set up has proven to be reliable since I standardized it. The 5 coil spring definitely feels like it has more force than the insert + O ring + 3 - 4 coil silver springs they replaced. I can tell this when installing the springs I cannot get the roll pin in on the 5 coils without using the desk to help push it in.

In the future I will purchase the colt if I see them available; but I'm not sad about the 5 coil vs the springs they replaced. Also I like spring co green for my A5's.

I'm not gonna tell anyone they will get killed in the streets for using Spring Co, but I dont see them as 'bad' parts at all.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    I am sure that someone has, or will, make AR springs out of Inconel and some poor ignorant fool will buy them.
    I’m that fool. They were incredibly corrosion resistant, but the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Yes, extractor tension is too high when the oring is used with the gold spring.
    or with the the Sprinco 5 coil, even though they are included in the package.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Sorry; not an engineer here.

But what I am reading is that CS springs while not an upgrade per say, are not worse in any meaningful way? If they are already purchased and in guns there's no good reason to pull them right? I happen to have a half dozen BCG's with spring co 5c over a black insert, and the set up has proven to be reliable since I standardized it. The 5 coil spring definitely feels like it has more force than the insert + O ring + 3 - 4 coil silver springs they replaced. I can tell this when installing the springs I cannot get the roll pin in on the 5 coils without using the desk to help push it in.

In the future I will purchase the colt if I see them available; but I'm not sad about the 5 coil vs the springs they replaced. Also I like spring co green for my A5's.

I'm not gonna tell anyone they will get killed in the streets for using Spring Co, but I dont see them as 'bad' parts at all.

My beef with the springs is that they don’t grind the ends like a real Colt/mil-spec spring. The only one I’ve seen that does is Daniel Defense.

Their buffer springs rust and whoever writes their marketing material is so FOS that I just can’t take anything they make seriously.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    But what I am reading is that CS springs while not an upgrade per say, are not worse in any meaningful way?
    My issue with CS springs goes back to Magpul's tests where they failed corrosion testing miserably. Now days I'm a fair weather shooter and don't hardly get the chance to get my guns wet and dirty, so I could probably do fine with CS nonsense in a gun. But I still just stick with standard/spec springs anyway.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The Sprinco 4 Coil has ground ends, just like the Colt gold spring.

Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    My beef with the springs is that they don’t grind the ends like a real Colt/mil-spec spring. The only one I’ve seen that does is Daniel Defense.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    The Sprinco 4 Coil has ground ends, just like the Colt gold spring.
    Do they use the same wire diameter?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast