Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hilton Yam's first impressions of the STI Staccato P (video)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I hate every positive thread about the STI Staccato guns.

You monsters make me want one each and every damn time, and I don't even care for 1911 style handguns.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Yam has now torn into the guts of his Staccato P, made a flat-faced trigger for it, and a magazine release similar to his 10-8 Performance single-stack 1911 magazine release.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I hate every positive thread about the STI Staccato guns.

You monsters make me want one each and every damn time, and I don't even care for 1911 style handguns.
    I'd like to know what, if any, design or function difference this and the Wilson EDC9 besides almost a 1K difference.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    And don't forget about the Staccato C. Oh man, now *that* could wrest my M&P Gen 2 out of my hands and get me back onto the sorta 1911 (2011) platform for defensive use. But usually a late adopter, more than happy to let others debug new things first.

https://stiguns.com/product-lineup/staccato-c/

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I'd like to know what, if any, design or function difference this and the Wilson EDC9 besides almost a 1K difference.
    Someone here needs to take out a second mortgage and buy both, and give us a head to head comparison
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Someone here needs to take out a second mortgage and buy both, and give us a head to head comparison
    Or be Yam, LAV, etc who can get them for testing easily enough. I'm also still not "getting" all the interest in this gun where as Wilson had the SecOp9 years ago, and now the EDC9. The obvious differences being the price of course, but it's as if some acting like STI has finally broken the 1911 based double stack 9mm pistol that's reliable out of the box problem, and that's not the case at all. I posted here about the SpecOp9 when it came out, and people mostly pissed on it. While the STI is less $ to be sure, the "but I can buy 3 or more G17" comments don't seem to be happening where they did for the Wlison product.

At around 2k, the STI is not exactly a bargain pistol either.

At the moment, it seems more like STI has made a less expensive Wlison EDC9, and there's nothing wrong wit that at all, but that's all I'm seeing so far. From a CCW POV, Wilson appears the better choice where as the STI perhaps the better duty & competition choice.

Anyway, a comparison vid I found:

Last edited by WillBrink; 09-17-19 at 13:10.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Or be Yam, LAV, etc who can get them for testing easily enough. I'm also still not "getting" all the interest in this gun where as Wilson had the SecOp9 years ago, and now the EDC9. The obvious differences being the price of course, but it's as if some acting like STI has finally broken the 1911 based double stack 9mm pistol that's reliable out of the box problem, and that's not the case at all. I posted here about the SpecOp9 when it came out, and people mostly pissed on it. While the STI is less $ to be sure, the "but I can buy 3 or more G17" comments don't seem to be happening where they did for the Wlison product.

At around 2k, the STI is not exactly a bargain pistol either.

At the moment, it seems more like STI has made a less expensive Wlison EDC9, and there's nothing wrong wit that at all, but that's all I'm seeing so far. From a CCW POV, Wilson appears the better choice;

Anyway, a comparison vid I found:

I think the better comparison would be with the similar sized STI DVC-C, but that's a $3000 gun. The P is more of a full size duty gun than a concealed carry gun. And there's talk that STI has kept the P's price down to compete in the LEO market (I got mine for $1800 OTD).

I originally went to buy a DVC-C, but came home with the P. I just couldn't see where that extra $1200 was going. But I still want one.

There's plenty of info. on STI guns on the 1911 Forum in the STI section. Including several shooting impressions from STI Demo Days. But these guns can get into the $4000 price range not counting optic.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    At the moment, it seems more like STI has made a less expensive Wlison EDC9, and there's nothing wrong wit that at all, but that's all I'm seeing so far. From a CCW POV, Wilson appears the better choice where as the STI perhaps the better duty & competition choice.
    Exactly. I raised this issue in the STI thread in the semiauto forum earlier. I'm very interested in the STI and would consider one, absolutely not dumping on them. But--aside from cost--I'm not seeing the advantage of the STI. If cost were no object, I'd choose the Wilson hands down. One good reason is that, in their modernization of the 1911 platform, they wisely eliminated the grip safety. If I were modernizing the 1911, some of the first things I'd do would be to make an integral plunger tube, improve on the internal extractor design and the whole 'extractor tensioning' thing that every 1911 shooter knows and loves, and eliminate the grip safety. Wilson did all those, and their design is extremely well thought out and endorsed by a lot of 1911 pros we'd respect--like LAV.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Exactly. I raised this issue in the STI thread in the semiauto forum earlier. I'm very interested in the STI and would consider one, absolutely not dumping on them. But--aside from cost--I'm not seeing the advantage of the STI. If cost were no object, I'd choose the Wilson hands down. One good reason is that, in their modernization of the 1911 platform, they wisely eliminated the grip safety. If I were modernizing the 1911, some of the first things I'd do would be to make an integral plunger tube, improve on the internal extractor design and the whole 'extractor tensioning' thing that every 1911 shooter knows and loves, and eliminate the grip safety. Wilson did all those, and their design is extremely well thought out and endorsed by a lot of 1911 pros we'd respect--like LAV.
    Basically a 1911 and BHP hybrid, which is better than if a 1911 and G17 had a baby.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    The biggest difference that I can think of between the STI and the EDC X9 is that there are multiple vendors/manufacturers of STI magazines and they can be had in capacities up to 29 or 30 rounds, while the EDC X9 tops out at 18. Plus, if STI goes out of business tomorrow, there will still be plenty of magazines and spare parts out there for their 2011s. If Wilson suddenly folded up shop, nobody's making spare parts or accessories for the EDC X9.

The other difference is who the guns are marketed to: The EDC X9 is marketed to private individuals who like high-end 1911s (but want the capacity of a G19), while the STI is marketed toward LE agencies that like 1911s (but want the capacity of a G17/34).
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast