Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Concave 115 FMJ

Feedback Score
    Just walked in from a session at the outdoor range (nice day in mid-Michigan) and gaijin, you are right on the money! It's hard to tell if your getting to be a better handgunner if your ammo won't hold 6 inches at 20yds, crap reloads are just that, crap!

Feedback Score
    I will have to touch base with Everglades, as my current stock of 115 concave base FMJs have run 0.355"; not sure if something has changed. I believe in a firm taper crimp, and the cases are run thru' a standard Dillon die. The sized cases offer resistance when seating a bullet.
    It's possible that they (or their supplier) have changed their spec; if so, I'll pay a little extra for the flat base version.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    From the (Everglades) horse's mouth-
    "The Concave Base bullets tend to run towards the smaller end of the SAAMI spec for 9mm. The spec is 0.3555"-0.003". Anything in that range will work properly out of a 9mm barrel with properly sized brass. They typically run about .354" in diameter. Sometimes slightly larger and sometimes slightly smaller depending on the condition of the final sizing die in the press.

Bottom line is they typically run smaller than SAAMI max, but never smaller than SAAMI minimum, and they will always work in a 9mm barrel with properly sized brass. The bullet diameter is irrelevant, for most pistol cartridges, as long as it is within the SAAMI spec. When the bullet is fired it is subject to over 30,000 psi and will expand to fill the bore of your firearm."

If I'm reading them correctly, they're saying the diameter is a non-issue because of bullet upset (maybe the concave base is like a Minie ball!), altho' a lot of oldtime reloaders worry a lot about bullet diameter.

Bottom line for me, after I shoot up the current stock, is to have a look at their prices for both types before ordering more.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a decent plan. You can never have to much good info before ordering.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    From the (Everglades) horse's mouth-
    "The Concave Base bullets tend to run towards the smaller end of the SAAMI spec for 9mm. The spec is 0.3555"-0.003".
    Are you sure that you don't mean 0.3555"-0.0003"?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Are you sure that you don't mean 0.3555"-0.0003"?
    0.0003 would still leave the bullets at 0.3552" Further conversation with the Everglades folks indicates their flat base actually run 0.355; frankly my current concave bases run the same, at least with my vernier.
    Moon

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345